Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphics Upgrade recommendations

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 2, 2012 3:34:28 PM

Hello,
I currently have a HP model h8-1234 that has AMD FX 6120 six core processor 3.50Ghz, 10 GB RAM, 1TB HD an upgraded Corsair GS 800W power supply that came with an AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU, Windows 7 64 bit O.S. While playing WoW MOP the graphics have to be on fair to obtain 40FPS and the graphics flicker. I need a GPU that is able to fit in 1 PCI-e slot any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank-you
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 4:58:33 PM

Just get this or this, and you're pretty much good to go. They would be quite enough and they will definitely satisfy almost all (OR all. Depends on your preferences) of your needs.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 5:14:54 PM

J_Keppel said:
Hello,
I currently have a HP model h8-1234 that has AMD FX 6120 six core processor 3.50Ghz, 10 GB RAM, 1TB HD an upgraded Corsair GS 800W power supply that came with an AMD Radeon HD 7450 GPU, Windows 7 64 bit O.S. While playing WoW MOP the graphics have to be on fair to obtain 40FPS and the graphics flicker. I need a GPU that is able to fit in 1 PCI-e slot any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank-you


Without knowing your budget or monitor resolution, how could we make suggestions?? Video cards range from $50 to $600.

Masters recommendations are very low end.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 2, 2012 5:27:26 PM

We need to know your budget mate
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 5:30:14 PM

master_chen said:
Just get this or this, and you're pretty much good to go. They would be quite enough and they will definitely satisfy almost all (OR all. Depends on your preferences) of your needs.


Really? Even at 1920x1080?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 5:50:46 PM

geekapproved said:
Really? Even at 1920x1080?

It's friggin' "WoW", man, NOT "Guild Wars 2 at Ultras". I've made recommendations solely based on that.
These cards would be more than enough for him, really, ESPECIALLY since there are not so much really good single-slot options out there.

Also
geekapproved said:
Master's recommendations are very low end.

LOLWUT? These are "Mid-Low", not just "Low". He'll be able to play some modern games on "Medium-Highs" with these (and most of pre-2008 titles on "Highs", and even "Ultras").
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 6:13:14 PM

Those are not mid-low, they are low. A 6870 isn't even considered mid and it's way faster than those cards. A 7850 I would consider mid, barely mid.

Besides, don't you think he may want to play other games in his lifetime? Should he have to upgrade again then?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 6:18:23 PM

geekapproved said:
Those are not mid-low, they are low. HD 6870 isn't even considered mid.


You are delusional.

geekapproved said:
Should he have to upgrade again then?


There's really no better single-slot options left anyway, so he'll be thinking next about dual-slot GPUs nonetheless, because dual-slot basically became a standard these days.
You CAN still find very powerful single-slot GPUs these days, but almost all of these cost a leg (highly overpriced) and/or have water-cooling plates on them.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 7:04:14 PM

How am I delusional?? 6870's in Crossfire are slower than a single GTX670. GTX670's in SLI are slower than a single GTX690.

THAT MAKES A 6870 LOW RANGE. A 7750/6770 would be very low range.

I see no reason why he can't use a 2 slot wide card. The mobo looks like it has plenty of room.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/699/c03...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 7:14:04 PM

we need your budget
m
0
l
October 2, 2012 7:15:25 PM

Monitor res is 1920x1080 it is an LG E2350v LED monitor, as for budget id like to stay below $300.00. Also I asked for a single slot card due to the fact that there is no roon for a dual slot PCI-e on the motherboard as far as I can tell unless a dual slot does not have 2 of the same size connections? I trulu do not know. Thank for all the input so far though :) 
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 8:01:49 PM

J_Keppel said:
Monitor res is 1920x1080 it is an LG E2350v LED monitor, as for budget id like to stay below $300.00. Also I asked for a single slot card due to the fact that there is no roon for a dual slot PCI-e on the motherboard as far as I can tell unless a dual slot does not have 2 of the same size connections? I trulu do not know. Thank for all the input so far though :) 


I think your confused, a dual slot card means its two slots wide, it doesn't mean it actually goes into two slots, it only goes into one.
m
0
l
October 2, 2012 8:08:59 PM

geekapproved said:
Without knowing your budget or monitor resolution, how could we make suggestions?? Video cards range from $50 to $600.

Masters recommendations are very low end.

It is a 1920x1080 res monitor made by LG E2350v LED, and id like to stay at $300.00 or less. I saw the pic you linked and that is the mobo however I have never had a dual slot gpu. I was under the assumption that they took (2) of the PCI-e slots. If they do not that is great and I'll be more than happy to get one. Thanks for your help and time, Jamin
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 8:44:45 PM

J_Keppel said:

1920x1080.
I'll be more than happy to get one.
300$.



OP, if you're ready to get dual-slot GPU, then just get this (or this), and you're going to FLY with everything being on maximal maximums. I highly recommend them.

P.S. Note that you should always consider your case's dimensions (especially length) before you buy a new video card.
I think your case can fit just fine the ones that I've recommended, but it's better that you check it twice before making a payment at any hardware store.
m
0
l
October 3, 2012 3:17:41 PM

HD 7850, low power threshold, plenty untapped performance, but it is a $200 card so I don't know if that is to much?
m
0
l
!