Hard drive thrash w/BF2

clint

Whenver I'm playing online, I get terrible hard drive thrashing at
certain times while playing BF2; usually when I'm flying and it usually
results in my being shot down or crashing into mountains, trees,
buildings etc..... I occassionally have the problem while playing the
single player maps but not nearly to the extent that I do playing
online. I *think* the problem is somewhat a function of the server and
load on it because it seems to occur less frequently with fewer people
playing on the server. Unfortunately, the problem seems to happen so
frequently on even modestly populated servers -30-45 people or so, that
it makes the game almost unplayable online.

I've defragged, defragged ram before starting the game - usually have
north of 800 mb free - and dropped resolution to 1150 by 860 (whatever
is right below 1280x960) and set most options to medium w/aa being
turned off. VOIP is disabled and Hdw Sound is on w/EAX enabled.

System specs:
AMD 2800+
1GB 2700 Ram
Pny Verto 6800 GT (256) -- using the BF2 drivers (from the demo)
Soundblaster Audigy.

Any ideas on how to fix/mitigate this problem is appreciated. Thx all

"Clint" <cfinch@nofrickingspam.swcp.com> wrote in message

I get terrible hard drive thrashing at
> certain times while playing BF2; usually when I'm flying and it usually
> results in my being shot down or crashing into mountains, trees, buildings
> etc.....

Try dropping the texture level down a notch, and try disabling hardware
sound. You could also try a defrag with something like Diskeeper or O&O that
will do a proper defrag job.

L.

Clint wrote:
I occassionally have the problem while playing the
> single player maps but not nearly to the extent that I do playing
> online. I *think* the problem is somewhat a function of the server and
> load on it because it seems to occur less frequently with fewer people
> playing on the server. Unfortunately, the problem seems to happen so
> frequently on even modestly populated servers -30-45 people or so, that
> it makes the game almost unplayable online.
>
> I've defragged, defragged ram before starting the game - usually have
> north of 800 mb free - and dropped resolution to 1150 by 860 (whatever
> is right below 1280x960) and set most options to medium w/aa being
> turned off. VOIP is disabled and Hdw Sound is on w/EAX enabled.
>
> System specs:
> AMD 2800+
> 1GB 2700 Ram
> Pny Verto 6800 GT (256) -- using the BF2 drivers (from the demo)
> Soundblaster Audigy.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix/mitigate this problem is appreciated. Thx all

Hmm, curious. Do you disable your virus-check before playing?

Servers with more than 32 players seem to be prone to lag, regardless of
ping.

regards,

Achtung Ecco