Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I need a Graphics Card for 2560 x 1440 WQHD IPS ASUS PB278Q monito?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2012 5:24:37 PM

Hello,

I have an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO mobo w/16GB RAM & i7 2600k, W7 Pro 64-bit, BlackMagic Intensity Pro (2 HDMI ports). There is no graphics card installed b/c I don't game.

I do use Adobe Master Collection daily for Photoshop & Premiere Pro 64-bit.

This machine is also a Hackintosh thanks to a Corsair Performance Pro SSD & the 6 BAY HDD Hard Drive Power Switch Power Controller -Orico HD-PW6101. I just turn off the two RAID-0 drives powering the Windows install and turn on the SSD for an instant Mountain Lion Mac.

On the Hackintosh it is used primarily for Final Cut X and iMovie.

The machine currently has a single ASUS PA246Q 24" monitor connected to the mobo HDMI port.

I have pre-ordered the ASUS PB278Q and want to know if I can simply connect it to the mobo DVI port and achieve 2560 x 1440 resolution.

If not, can I utilize the BlackMagic Intensity Pro to output to this resolution? I know it CAN be used for Output but this is generally only as an output monitor for video editing software.

Otherwise, what is the cheapest graphics card I can purchase to run this monitor at 2560 x 1440? And is there a benefit for FCPX or Adobe Master Collection for getting a better graphics card?

FYI both my PCI-E ports are spoken for (BlackMagic & an N Wireless card).

Thanks!

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 6:11:47 PM

looks like your mobo supports,

Integrated Graphics Processor
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI/RGB ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DVI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 75 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 1748 MB

$30
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 6:18:13 PM

i would get a cheap graphics card for a display like that, your integrated graphics will probly struggle with a 1440p resolution. their are plenty of graphics card under 100 bucks that you could get
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2012 6:24:36 PM

the great randini said:
looks like your mobo supports,

Integrated Graphics Processor
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI/RGB ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DVI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports RGB with max. resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 75 Hz
Maximum shared memory of 1748 MB

$30

Thanks for the detailed specs! I couldn't find them after searching for 5 minutes so I gave up and came here.

Also thank you for the link. I would like to use a DisplayPort 1.2 connection since it can carry both audio & video to the monitor (has integrated speakers). HDMI 1.3 maxes out at 1920x1080 and I'm not sure if the monitor has HDMI 1.4 (graphic cards w/1.4 are likely not to be cheap).

Is there a cheap DP 1.2 card you recommend? Otherwise I'll do the research...
Thanks!
m
l
October 2, 2012 6:46:34 PM

computernoob29 said:
i would get a cheap graphics card for a display like that, your integrated graphics will probly struggle with a 1440p resolution. their are plenty of graphics card under 100 bucks that you could get

Thanks for the response. Do you have a specific card that would work? DisplayPort 1.2 or HDMI 1.4 required.
m
l
a c 92 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 6:58:15 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this would be probably the minimal you'd want to go in terms of performance since even web apps are going gpu accelerated.

If you care about the gpu accelleration inside adobe, paying a bit more might gain you a bit more depending on what you do. something like this might be better:

I actually have no ideal if it will work with your hackitosh. Might need to check the supported hardware for that.

m
l
October 2, 2012 7:09:36 PM

esrever said:

this would be probably the minimal you'd want to go in terms of performance since even web apps are going gpu accelerated.

If you care about the gpu accelleration inside adobe, paying a bit more might gain you a bit more depending on what you do. something like this might be better:

I actually have no ideal if it will work with your hackitosh. Might need to check the supported hardware for that.

Thanks for reminding me! I will ask in that forum. Looks like I got my question answered here (need a new card). Thank you all!
m
l
October 2, 2012 7:09:54 PM

Best answer selected by computergiant.
m
l
!