Older Canon digital cam for EF lenses?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 2, 2005 4:33:03 AM

Hi all,

I'm a complete digital camera novice, but have been using my Canon EOS
35mm camera for a bunch of years. I'd like to get a digital body for
use with my EF lenses, and in order to keep it as cheap as possible I'd
love to find something used.

I've been using my 35mm and a scanner, but I'd like a process that is
quicker since I'll be doing this often. I'll be taking indoor pictures
of some machined metal pieces that are fairly reflective.

I know the new Canon cameras can use my lenses and I assume older ones
can as well, but not knowing diddly about Canon's old line, I don't
know what to look for on the used market. Can anyone give me some
recommendations about some models to look for?

For that matter is it a bad idea to look for a used camera given that I
don't know about what to be carefull?

Regards,

Peter
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:46:02 AM

i recently bought a Canon D30, 28-80mm, and 80-200mm Canon EF's for about
half of a DigRebel price (about $350).
i am converting from a dig point & shoot camera more so than from film.
i find the Canon SLR actually easier to use in some ways than p&s, manual
focus is possible, and of course
very handy regarding downloading into the computer.
i'm happy with the lesser investment in order to get familiar with the gear.
i'll probably get a more modern one in a year or two.
hth
bill

"Peter Grey" <pgrey@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a complete digital camera novice, but have been using my Canon EOS
> 35mm camera for a bunch of years. I'd like to get a digital body for
> use with my EF lenses, and in order to keep it as cheap as possible I'd
> love to find something used.
>
> I've been using my 35mm and a scanner, but I'd like a process that is
> quicker since I'll be doing this often. I'll be taking indoor pictures
> of some machined metal pieces that are fairly reflective.
>
> I know the new Canon cameras can use my lenses and I assume older ones
> can as well, but not knowing diddly about Canon's old line, I don't
> know what to look for on the used market. Can anyone give me some
> recommendations about some models to look for?
>
> For that matter is it a bad idea to look for a used camera given that I
> don't know about what to be carefull?
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 4:20:19 PM

Peter Grey wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a complete digital camera novice, but have been using my Canon EOS
> 35mm camera for a bunch of years. I'd like to get a digital body for
> use with my EF lenses, and in order to keep it as cheap as possible I'd
> love to find something used.

There have got to be a load of D30/D60's around, not to mention 10D's.

But a D-Rebel or D-RebelXT is truly not expensive for what it delivers.

Cheers,
Alan.

April 3, 2005 3:18:15 AM

news:D 2mk8h$7da$2@inews.gazeta.pl...

> There have got to be a load of D30/D60's around, not to mention 10D's.
>
> But a D-Rebel or D-RebelXT is truly not expensive for what it delivers.

Thanks. I do understand that. But this camera is going to spend 99% of its
life on a tripod pointing at a "set" doing 20 to 30 product shots a year.
The other 1% of the time, I'd like it to be able to use my EOS lenses. I
won't need - and would prefer not to pay for - what a Rebel offers over and
above an older model.

Peter
!