Sign in with
Your question
Closed

2560x1440 @ 120hz?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2012 8:48:18 PM

I realize there aren't any monitors available yet capable of 2560x1440 @ 120hz. Does anyone have any idea when this might be available? Years? Months? I've tried researching this very question, but I can't find anything. I was hoping someone out there might know something. I'd like to get this kind of monitor and I'm willing to wait for it. Also, I don't mean the overclockable korean monitors. I looked into that and decided against it (unless someone has some hands on experience to share that might persuade me otherwise). Thanks.

More about : 2560x1440 120hz

a c 80 Î Nvidia
a c 122 C Monitor
October 2, 2012 8:58:57 PM

I don't know how well it would work. One major concern is the GPU power needed to run that resolution and get 80+ FPS to make the 120hz worth it. I imagine you'd either live with upcaling, or lowered visual levels, which might not be bad.
October 6, 2012 10:19:36 AM

The only current solution is Overlord monitors out of So Cal. They use the same IPS panel the Yamakasi Catleaps (and others) do, but with a PCB that allows OCing.

You can pay an extra $25 and get a pixel perfect check that guarantees perfect pixels. Oddly enough though, they say OC models are "120Hz capable", yet use the disclaimer that only 96Hz performance is "assumed" with OC models, and that achieving a refresh over 60Hz is not guaranteed. Saying even further to OC "at your own risk".

"Refresh Rates: We check each model, SE/ME/OC, to determine max refresh rates. We base our tests on the 65hz/72hz/96hz rule - that is we assume that rate for each model SE/ME/OC. Refresh rates above 60hz are not guaranteed. Overclock your monitor at your own risk."

This seems rather suspect advertising to me to say "120Hz capable" yet guarantee only 60Hz on a display you've payed almost $100 more to get 120Hz capable refresh.
!