New system crashes after installing windows 7 updates

splat10

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
I am having trouble with my homebuilt system crashing with disk read errors and boot issues after widnows installs all its updates.

The system:

ASRock A75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD A6-3650 Llano 2.6GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD ...

Corsair Force Series 3 CSSD-F60GB3A-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

SYBA SY-VIA-150 PCI SATA / IDE Combo Controller Card, Non Raid to run an old IDE 500Gb HD for storage

8gb RAM (2x 4gb PNY sticks from BB)

SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224BB - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM

a carry over 350W PSU, probably 5-6 years old and doesn't have sata plugs so i have an adapter cable from radio shack.

Old case with p/s keyboard and case. HP930c prnter, older usb scanner, webcam,

AVG free basic virus protection

----The SSD was RMA'd as i thought it was toast and I bought a WD Green 3.5" 1Tb HDD as a replacement in the interim (wil probably remove the IDE stuff when i get my SSD back in) ----

------------------------------------------------

The whole long story.
I put this together about a month ago. Installed windows on the SSD and left all my data on the IDE drive. Everything was working fine for about a month. Then i started getting random boot errors after a month. I little investigating showed that windows 7 updated right before it starting having troubles. After a day or so of that i couldn't get it to boot at all. The SSD and DVD were still reconized fine in bios. Didn't really know to try system restore at the time and RMA'd the SSD which i still haven't got back yet.

I wanted to get the system back up and running so i went to BB and and bought a 1Tb WD green 3.5" drive. Installed it and put windows 7 on it. Every thing was running good, doing all the windows updates, The IDE drive was working well did a back up of my data onto both drives and started installing my programs including AVG free anti-virus. Then Windows downloaded another set of updates (the most recent i think but i haven't been able to get back in and see which ones they are) and it rebooted and immendiately had a disk read error. Tried a bunch of boot options and all failed. Booted from windows disk and tried an automatic system repair and failed. Tried a system restore to a previous point and that failed too. Tried the http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win7-windows-7-mbr,10036.html command prompt mbr repair. Was able to boot after that but it took Foreveeeeeerrrrrrr (like 20 minutes) to get to the login screen and aother 5-10 to get to the desktop.

Rebooted and went back to disk errors and then ended up in a chkdsk at boot that found a lot of errors. at this point i tried a clean reinstall windows without formatting the drive (as there is data on there i don't want to loose an when i get my ssd back i'll be able to install a clean windows there). This failed too and never booted. Got another chkdsk that found a lot of errors and took forever (all night).
At this point I'v given up on this install and will wait to get me ssd back and clean install there to back up all data.

So the question is, what do i do about the windows issue and why does it keep coming back. Why did it run fine fora moththe first time and then die after less than hours the second time.

Thanks for any help
Steve

splat10

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
I deleted all windows files, formatted the 100mb partition and tried reinstalling windows. No fix. Couldn't get it to boot at all before now i still can't. Why would the drives keep getting corupted. My SSD is on it's way back so when i get that i'll use that as a clean install to boot from and recover my data so i can wipe evertyhing and try and start over.

Could the power supply cause this? It doesn't seem likely. Should i try installing XP since i have that disc still. I'm completely stumped.

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Try the hard drive with the issue on another pc. Does it give you the same problem? I think that the PSU isnt providing the hard drives with the necessary power. This could be because of the make-shift nature of you connection... because of this, multiple files are becoming corrupted. If my diagnosis is correct, the problem would get worse over time - which it does in your case. If core files are updated and corrupted, your PC wont boot. So get a new PSU, and your problem shld b solved with a fresh install. Unless of course it has damaged other components in ur PC...