Graphic card upgrade for dell xps studio 435mt 9000

brianthuy

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Hello,

This is my first time using this forum, and I have tried reading some on my own, but it hasn't seemed to help me. I have a dell xps studio, i7, 12 gb ram (upgraded), and some 4xxx series radeon card. The power supply is 475.

I would like to stay in the radeon group, and was curious what could I get in my computer without upgrading the power supply. I am not sure of the connectors inside, but it is whatever came stock when I purchased the computer.

Any suggestions or advise?

Brian

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7950 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) @ 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

The Dell XPS Studio 435MT 9000's 475W power supply unit, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7950.

A Radeon HD 7970 could be used if you were to get a reference clocked version and you don't run any GPU stress testing utilities like Furmark or OCCT GPU Stress Testing or some equivalent.

brianthuy

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Thanks so much for your expertise! I do have one more question regarding the 7950. It seems I have read in some forums this evening that my current computer only have one power connectors, not two. This is current information, or do you believe it does indeed have two?

Would I be better off with a earlier generation, so I can use its full power?

Can you provide the exact brand and model number of the power supply? There should be a label stuck onto the side of the power supply with all of the necessary information.

Maybe something like the following:

Flextronics Model: VP-09500073-000 Rev A01
This specific model has one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.