Sign in with
Your question

USB3 DVD Brief Data Flow

Last response: in Windows 7
February 23, 2012 3:14:35 PM

Hardware & Software
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Sager NP9280/Clevo D900F i7 6GB RAM laptop
Laptop has USB 2.0 ports native, current X58 Express Chipset Drivers v9.3.0.1019
Rosewill RC-615 USB3 Expresscard Adapter w/ Renesas Drivers 2.1.28.1
SYBA SD-EXP20070 USB3 Expresscard adapter w/ Renesas Drivers 2.1.28.1

When attempting to play a standard def movie with Windows Media Player from a USB3 external DVD drive with a USB3 cable connected to either a Rosewill RC-615 USB3 Expresscard adapter or SYBA SD-EXP20070 USB3 Expresscard adapter plugged into a laptop with Intel X58 Express Chipset the movie will play for between 5 seconds and 6 minutes, then stop playing. The last frame received remains in WMP and the player remains in play mode indefinitely until WMP is shutdown with the red X or the USB3 cable is disconnected from the external USB3 external DVD drive. Choosing safely remove hardware from the tray results in no response, so at that point the USB3 cable is disconnected.

With the Deivice Manager open during testing the USB Mass Storage Device line item appears as expected, driver USBSTOR.SYS v6.1.7601.17577 and the DVD drive appears as expected, driver cdrom.sys v6.1.7600.16385. This behavior is observed with a Vantec CB-ISATAU3 SATA/IDE to USB3 Adapter attached to the DVD drive and a ByteCC ME-535U3 enclosure connected to the same DVD drive. Another DVD drive was also swapped in and the same behavior is noted.

If the ByteCC & Vantec devices are connected with a USB2 cable to the USB3 ExpressCard adapter the movie flows uninterrupted. Same results for the ByteCC & Vantec devices connected to the laptop's native USB2 ports. I have Thermaltake USB3 SATA docks running through the Expresscard USB3 adapters with no problem whatsoever. The connection of DVD drives triggers this problem.

The fact that the DVD drive will connect at USB3 speeds and play a movie for a short time (no windows slow connection tray error appears when connection is made) leads me to conclude that the hardware is working and that there is a software conflict which stops the data flow.

UpperFilters and LowerFilters have been removed from the DVD Class category which resulted in longer movie run times in the 2-6 minute range. I am stumped. Any ideas from the forum?

I have uploaded a .pdf file to my website containing screenshots of what is happening when the DVD drive is hooked up USB3. See south-paw.net/downloads/USB3 DVD Brief Data Flow.pdf

ml48603, Saginaw, MI USA

More about : usb3 dvd data flow

February 24, 2012 3:15:25 PM

Attempting to use the DVD drive with Nero KwikMedia v1.10.24000 results in the same behavior: USB Mass Storage Device and DVD Drive appear in device manager as expected. The result is the movie plays for up to 10-20 seconds, then stops. I tried working with just a data.

I also ran Nero Express that comes with Nero V10 and set it up to read a unprotected DVD and create a iso Image of that DVD. The process started normally and ran for about 5 seconds creating a small .iso on my hard drive as expected, then the became quiet and the process stopped.
m
l
February 26, 2012 8:50:49 PM

Vantec offerred a firmware update from Prolific for the PL2733 SATA to USB Bridge Chip. Initial results were amazing. Without so much as a Win7 reboot the USB3 drive started working. I was able to make some ISOs and watch a movie for 15 minutes without the DVD stopping.

After performing the Prolific firmware update of the Vantec Adapter with positive results I came back the next morning to work through my pile of DVDs that I need to ISO and the same problems I was having with the Vantec adapter's original firmware came back.

When I attempted to make an iso the process ran for only 3 minutes before failing. I reflashed the Adapter with the firmware update and tried again. I was able to make 3 successful iso images. Then the iso making process started failing again 3-4 minutes into an iso.

I flashed the firmware again and was able to make 2 more successful iso images. Then the iso process started failing again after 5 minutes.

I flashed the adapter again. The iso making process failed on the first attempt.

I then tested the Vantec adapter with the old SATA and IDE HDDs that I store my ISOs on and the Vantec adapter was not working with the HDDs anymore. Things kind of went to pieces with this Prolific firmware update.

An IDE HDD connected to the Vantec adapter is loaded in the device manager as a Prolific USBCFReader Device under the HDD category. This results in failed attempts to view the directory. That is whether I am hooked up USB3 or USB2. If I use an old enclosure with the old IDE HDD I can see the directory and write to the drive as expected.

I uploaded the screenshots of the Device Manager showing the Prolific USBCFReader Device into one PDF at
south-paw.net/downloads/Vantec Adapter with IDE HDD.pdf

Fixing the firmware seems to be a step in the right direction to get the USB3/DVD problems resolved. I advised Vantec to see if they can work on a better firmware to resolve all the DVD/USB3 problems. I also requested a firmware update from Bytecc for the enclosure using the VIA VL700Q4 SATA to USB Bridge. Could be that firmware needs work to make DVD/USB3 compatible.
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2012 10:07:41 PM

I did some additional testing Sunday night with Vantec adapter. I reflashed the adapter and tested SATA and IDE HDDs. IDE doesn’t work, SATA works fine. See the following screenshots at my site:

south-paw.net/downloads/Vantec Adapter IDE SATA Testing.pdf

Is the failure to read IDE a firmware problem, or a case of windows installing the incorrect driver?
m
l
March 8, 2012 2:51:13 PM

Received a replacement Vantec Adapter this week. The Vantec tech said they tested the adapter before it went out and a pioneer DVD drive that the adapter was tested with worked, with no stoppage of data flow. During my testing the IDE and SATA drives are working as expected. Again the connection of a DVD drive results in a failure to continuing reading a DVD after a random period of time, in this trial 3 minutes and the data quit flowing to the Nero Kwik Media player. No errors from the media player just a frozen frame when the data stops flowing. I tried to check the level of the firmware loaded into the Adapter with the Prolific tool but the firmware was locked so that the tool wouldn't read the firmware level. At this point I am trying to find out what the Vantec hardware test configuration was exactly for comparison to mine at home. I am still waiting on the replacement ME-535U# ByteCC enclosure to arrive for testing.
m
l
March 31, 2012 7:42:52 PM

This last week of March I received a replacement Byte Enclosure ME-535U. I connected the enclosure to the same system I have described previously. I played a movie with Nero KwikMedia and the movie played right through till the end with no problems noted. The SATA/USB3 bridge chip in this replacement Byte enclosure is:

VLI VL700-Q4 1110
A3843R8961

This is the same chip that the first enclosure had. Since one enclosure functions normally and the other does not it could be the first enclosure was defective, or the second enclosure has been updated with a new level of firmware that fixed the brief data flow issue that was experienced with with the first enclosure. Byte did not include a letter with the replacement enclosure to explain the test findings reached with the first enclosure.

I think the manufacturers knew there were compatibility issues between USB3 and USB2 devices, ie. not all devices that operate flawlessly on USB2 will operate flawlessly on a USB3 connection. The reason I say that is this: I am old enough to remember when USB2 came out replacing USB1.1. Manufacturers of laptops didn't build in USB2 ports alongside USB1.1 ports. They only built in USB2 ports that worked with any USB1.1 device. This time around when USB3 came out manufacturers built in USB2 only ports alongside USB3.0 ports. Why else would manufacturers take the profit hit to do this if USB3 was perfectly compatible with USB2 and USB1.1/1.0 ?
m
l
April 1, 2012 6:55:24 AM

Received a replacement Vantec Adapter this week. The Vantec tech said they tested the adapter before it went out and a pioneer DVD drive that the adapter was tested with worked, with no stoppage of data flow. During my testing the IDE and SATA drives are working as expected. Again the connection of a DVD drive results in a failure to continuing reading a DVD after a random period of time, in this trial 3 minutes and the data quit flowing to the Nero Kwik Media player. No errors from the media player just a frozen frame when the data stops flowing.
m
l
!