Is it possible to crossfire the HD 7660D with a discrete AMD card?

DarkSchalie

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I've got a Radeon HD 7660D APU and was just wondering what cards can I crossfire with it (if possible). I can't find much information about the 7660D. I'm not buying a graphics card at the moment, but just wanted to know so when there's a sale for a card I can pick it up.

dyc4ha

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
On the box it recommends the 6670 for the 7660D. The simple reason being the 7660D is actually VLIW4 (as opposed to GCN) which is the same as Northern Islands. It will NOT xfire with Southern Islands.

EDIT: typo

Lol you are right, my bad, So that would be HD6770 or HD6670

AMD hasn't released a list of compatible hybrid crossfires with the new Trinity APU. (Not that I have seen anyway, I've been searching on and off for the past 2 months)

According to Tom's review they crossfired with a 6670 and it worked. I don't think the Sea Island cards work with it though. Hopefully soon they will release some more detailed information...

MJoob

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I saw it will be able to crossfire with 7670 the flagship model of 7600 series and its the most powerful one you can hybrid crossfire, its 25% faster than previous generation 6670.

dyc4ha

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Trinity WILL NOT crossfire with Southern Islands. AMD has stated this already - it is on the retail box of the APU.

A10 and A8: Will crossfire with 6670 and 6570.
A6: 6570 and 6450.

You cannot crossfire 2 cards that are on completely different architectures. Hope this helps.

deathcall666

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

It is posible , but its a litlle tricky
it depends what motherboard you have : if it has LUCID VIRTU mvp then you can
Usually FM2A85 chipset has Lucid
How does it works LUCID VIRTU?
Well its not SLI nor Crossfire but it combines performance of any integrated or discrete graphic card with and any dedicated graphic card no matter the brand.
ex: 7660d (from a5800k) + 7870hd = 130% performance of 7870(average at least)
but it works in any combination amd integrated +nvidia dedicated cards ( 7660d + gtx 660ti)
However Lucid won't work on configurations like 7870 + 660ti (both dedicated ) or SLI/Crossfire configurations
If you want a good mobo take Asrock FM2A85 extreme6

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Although you can set a discrete card to work via the Lucid Logix (together with the iGPU..meaning not cross-fired), I've found that if it's not a HD 6670 or HD 6570 (as displayed on the A10 5800K's packaging) it really wont work properly.

I tried to use my MSI HD R6950 2GB discrete card and the result is nothing but headaches.

I can only run the monitor cable out of the motherboard, not the card. Well..OK... I suppose I can live with that, if it's not reducing the abilities of the 6950....but as I research this more, it seems to be doing exactly that.

Also...because of the (installed) discrete card, I can not access BIOS upon start up (while the card is inserted). Also, the start up ASUS splash screen no longer displays, and the Windows 7 starting screen no longer displays...all gone when you install a card, which is not a 6670 or 6570. ---remove the card and those functions all return to normal.

Interestingly enough AMD is aware of this problem (at least the issue of not letting you access BIOS). As of last summer, AMD said they are "working on it".

In the meanwhile my HD 6950 is a paperweight. Yes..I can install it, if I run the signal through my motherboards output to the monitor. But having run 3D MARK, the numbers were essentially the same with and without my discrete card installed. So there really was no benefit of having a discrete card.

Also...and again, I'm not talking about crossfire, this is just the computer utilizing the Lucid Logix MVP program (set to d-mode), which decides whether the discrete card or the iGPU will handle a specific graphics task)...I have read articles that the numbers just don't add up and the iGPU will actually hurt the performance of the discrete card itself.

Your pretty much stuck with the 6670 or 6570 ...if you don't want to run into problems as I mentioned.

In case someone is not familiar with Lucid Logix----The Lucid Virtu software allows for switchable graphics. This enables you to use only the iGPU for Quick Sync for transcoding and regular desktop usage which of course can mean a lot of savings when it comes to power usage. Then when you want to play a game, or use another 3D application the Virtu software kicks in and uses the discreet graphics card to do the work. This feature has two modes of operation. "I" mode and "d" mode. "I" mode provides a small hit in regard to performance because of overhead but allows the card to be idle most of the time while enjoying the features offered by the iGPU. This is really the method one uses for power saving. The second mode is "d" mode which basically requires connecting the monitor directly to the discreet add in card. No performance is lost using this method, and the iGPU can provide the media features to the system. However this means that you are using your graphics card primarily and not the iGPU which means that there is no power savings.