Sign in with
Your question

First Build advice, gaming rig

November 25, 2012 10:13:46 PM

This will be my first build and I'm pretty set on my parts outside of the GPU and PS. Here is what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA
Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK
PS: SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W 80 PLUS GOLD
GPU: XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition Black Edition 2GB

Games I am currently playing:

Borderlands 2
WoW
GW2
Dragon Age 2
Skyrim
Assassins Creed 3 or Farcry 3 (depending on the GPU I get)

I'm hoping there are no bottlenecks in my build and everything will work together well. I'm still undecided on the PS and GPU. I would like to be around the $300 mark for both of those together though I can push up another $50 or so if I need to increase either. I have been looking at these other cards as well:

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 at $210 with a rebate
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 Ti at $280 with a rebate

I kind of went in the middle with the 7870 based on reviews and Tom's Hardware value review. It is listed at $230 after rebate. Is it worth it to save a bit and drop down to the GTX 660 or go up in price to the GTX 660 Ti? I don't want to spend money that I don't have to but when I'm already dropping money on this build if the gains justify putting out some extra money I would do it.

Are there any bottleneck issues with this build or anything I have overlooked in making sure the components are compatible? Will the 80 plus gold 550W be enough or should I bump up to a 650W? Also with the price differences in the GPU's is there one with better value than the 7870?

Hopefully I've got all this in a nice readable setup and thank you for any advice.
!