Sign in with
Your question

670 or 8000

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 2, 2012 11:09:15 PM

Should i buy a GTX 670 now or wait for 8000 series (which are apparently supposed to come December-January).

Thanks

More about : 670 8000

a c 92 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 11:12:10 PM

Depends on if you want to wait or not.
October 2, 2012 11:16:34 PM

I can wait, if the wait is worth it, i currently have a 6870 which performs ok but want something faster.
Related resources
a c 92 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 11:26:15 PM

Nobody knows if its worth it or now, the leaks show good things but there no way to conform reliability of the information.

I see no point in waiting on tech unless its something that can't be done before that you need.
October 2, 2012 11:27:13 PM

I don't know really, i just feel like i might get the 670 now then couple months down the line something way better comes out for the same price or a little more.
October 2, 2012 11:28:56 PM

grassyuk said:
I don't know really, i just feel like i might get the 670 now then couple months down the line something way better comes out for the same price or a little more.

That's how GPUs work unfortunately.

I say don't upgrade till you need to. If you don't have a game that you currently can't play at settings/framerates acceptable to you, then go ahead and upgrade. If you're happy with your current setup, wait. There's always something better next year!
October 2, 2012 11:39:03 PM

If you have HD6000 I'd say wait... Kepler is a nice jump, but not big enough of a jump. I'm sure HD8000 would be more attractive
a c 259 U Graphics card
October 2, 2012 11:45:08 PM

grassyuk said:

If you want a GTX670 class card now, go ahead and buy one now.
To hedge your bet, buy a EVGA card, they have a 90 day trade up program where you can get full price applied to a qualifying better card. Go to their web site for the details.
October 3, 2012 12:44:59 AM

:lol:  I think you're even more mad at Nvidia about Kepler than I am

I love it. Nvidia has been bending consumers over and giving them the shaft all along with Kepler but 99% of people seem to just take it and walk away with a smile on their face. Sad.
October 3, 2012 1:44:26 AM

BTW you're correct, as far as I know, that all Kepler cards are voltage locked. There's room for a tiny bit of tweaking but nothing substantial.

MSI tried to incorporate true software voltage control with their Lightning 680 and Nvidia yelled at them and made them stop, basically neutering the card.

I was really mad back in January-March when I was making purchasing decisions for my new rig and really wanted to buy Nvidia but couldn't due to their repeated shafting of the consumer with these cards.

I've mostly given up trying to convince people about it by now - I know (and obviously Nvidia knows) that most people just don't care; they'll get shafted and like it. Nvidia could possibly become the Apple of the GPU world.
a c 185 U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 4:53:21 AM

BigMack70 said:
BTW you're correct, as far as I know, that all Kepler cards are voltage locked. There's room for a tiny bit of tweaking but nothing substantial.

MSI tried to incorporate true software voltage control with their Lightning 680 and Nvidia yelled at them and made them stop, basically neutering the card.

I was really mad back in January-March when I was making purchasing decisions for my new rig and really wanted to buy Nvidia but couldn't due to their repeated shafting of the consumer with these cards.

I've mostly given up trying to convince people about it by now - I know (and obviously Nvidia knows) that most people just don't care; they'll get shafted and like it. Nvidia could possibly become the Apple of the GPU world.
Yeah seems everybody doesn't care so i am done :lol: 
!