Sign in with
Your question

Finishing up build: deciding on budget Mobo and the CPU

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2012 10:56:08 PM

I'm trying to finish up the build on my lil bro's PC and I'm stuck on a couple different mainboards and CPUs to buy. This is a low budget system with most of the money emphasizing at first on the GFX card, CPU, PSU and monitor and then down the road i'll get him a good SSD drive, more ram and probably a better Mainboard to run SLI down the road. He will be playing BF BC2 mostly and eventually BF3.

The parts I have so far:

GTX 480
2x2Gigs DDR3 1333
CM HAF 912 case
some spare SATA 7200 RPM hdds

The parts I still need to get:

CPU
Mainboard
PSU (I have spares that come close but none that will definitely satisfy the GTX 480, I'd give him my CM GX750 but i'm running a fairly hungry Tri-fire setup with a 4870X2 + 4870 in my PC.)

First off i'm either going with a $100 Phenom II X4 965 from newegg or a $90 X6 1045T from Microcenter. I'm leaning on the X4 just because I've been seeing some reviews just that the faster X4 will perform better in games he will be playing, plus the OC potential.

My first choice is this $40 shipped Gigabyte model, it's very basic but i'm worried about the 95w CPU rated limit. The reviews are limited but all 5 reviews are solid. And one shows the owner was able to run a Phenom II X4 955.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The other Mainboard is this $45 Asus with a proper 125 w CPU rating more reviews and they are somewhat decent.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have had better experience with Gigabyte products although i'm running an Asus in my machine. I'm just thinking maybe Gigabyte stamped 95 w on it even though it may be able run the 125. I just don't mind spending another $5 for the Asus to make sure. Has anyone had any experience with either of these very low budget mainboards? And am I right about choosing the Phenom X4 over the X6?
!