Solved

First gaming rig - $1300 budget

Hi all,
I am looking to build a gaming system to play games such as Far Cry 3, Black Ops II, Borderlands 2, Skyrim etc.
Things I will be using the rig for, in order of most important to least important: Gaming, Basic Internet use, Music.
I have done all my gaming on a low end laptop, but that is going to change.
My budget is $1300 but if needed I can go up to $100 over.
I am going to be putting together the system around december 14th, as it is my birthday.
I live in Adelaide, South Australia.

I will be buying a monitor, but I already own a keyboard and mouse.
I already have speakers and a headset, so that won't be a problem.
I do not want to use Crossfire or SLI because of the driver issues and other problems my mates have run into when using this kind of setup.
I have never overclocked before but I may do some small adjustments in future.
I would like to run a resolution of either 1680x1050 or 1920x1080, whichever you recommend.

I have done some basic research for about 2 weeks now, and I have decided on a processor, and have been looking at a gpu and mobo as possible options:

Sapphire 2GB 7870 OC PCI-E VGA Card

Intel i5-3570K LGA1155 IVY Bridge Boxed CPU

AsRock Z77-Extreme4 Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard

I do not want an SSD, only a single HDD. 7200 RPM is a must, and WD is preferred.

Thanks. :)
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first gaming 1300 budget
  1. Is this the only site you are buying from or are you open to other ones such as PCCaseGear?
  2. As long as they ship to Australia, yes. :)
  3. Best answer
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($35.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($325.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Case: NZXT Tempest 410 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($95.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($112.00 @ Mwave Australia)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($22.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Monitor: Samsung S22B300B 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($135.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 3-Pack (64-bit) ($99.00 @ Scorptec)
    Total: $1336.00
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-26 14:44 EST+1100)

Some of these can be purchased at your original site linked, but this is just a convenient list of parts. The case and ram are really up to preference as their are many different ones in similar price ranges...
  4. Okay,
    1: Is the cpu cooler necessary, as I will not be doing any OC until about 6 months, and I am on a strict budget?
    2: Is it okay to pair the 7950 with the i5-3570k, will the gpu be bottlenecked?
    3: I disagree with the case, could you recommend another one, preferrably one with an emphasis on airflow, I do not care about noise.
    Thanks for helping! :D
  5. Oh I forgot, one other thing,
    Is gigabyte really the best manufacturer to go with in terms of cooling and performance? (Again, I don't care about noise)
  6. xXNeonBlurXx said:
    Okay,
    1: Is the cpu cooler necessary, as I will not be doing any OC until about 6 months, and I am on a strict budget?
    2: Is it okay to pair the 7950 with the i5-3570k, will the gpu be bottlenecked?
    3: I disagree with the case, could you recommend another one, preferrably one with an emphasis on airflow, I do not care about noise.
    Thanks for helping! :D

Sorry for the late response:
    1. The CPU cooler is not essential, and I suppose you can put off the purchase until later.
    2. No bottleneck, the i5-3570k is powerful.
    3. This is a really difficult question for me to answer since cases are always biased towards certain user preferences.
    Here are two cases in the same price range:
    http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-aa12513-bitfenix_raider_midtower_case
    Review of this case: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Bitfenix-Raider-Case-Review/1463/7

http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-aa12436-corsair_carbide_series_400r_case
    Review of this case: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/Carbide_400R/6.html

4. Gigabyte is a decent brand, and I would've linked a cheaper Sapphire card, but it was out of stock on the original website you linked to.
    Here's a review of the same card: http://www.techspot.com/review/496-amd-radeon-7950/
    Here's a picture of the temperature testing if you are lazy:
  7. Wow thankyou so much, you didn't have to go to all that effort, aha! :)
    I was also thinking that maybe in future when I save up some cash I could swap out the gpu for a higher end nvidia model just for the sake of newer games and the use of PhysX in games like borderlands 2. I can live without it for sure, but it would be nice to give a little performance boost next year ish. Would a gpu like a 670, 680 or 690 still go nicely into this build?
  8. xXNeonBlurXx said:
    Wow thankyou so much, you didn't have to go to all that effort, aha! :)
    I was also thinking that maybe in future when I save up some cash I could swap out the gpu for a higher end nvidia model just for the sake of newer games and the use of PhysX in games like borderlands 2. I can live without it for sure, but it would be nice to give a little performance boost next year ish. Would a gpu like a 670, 680 or 690 still go nicely into this build?

Well the 690 is actually a dual GPU or SLI card. As for the other two, yes the power supply should support it as far as power requirements go. I do believe that the next generation would have arrived before you find the HD 7950 lacking regardless.
  9. In that case, I'm happy. :) Haha.
    Is that everything, or am I missing something?
  10. Also, I have decided on the BitFenix RAIDER Mid-Tower Case because of it's excellent airflow and air filters on every intake.
  11. Best answer selected by xXNeonBlurXx.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems