Is the GTX 680 Superclocked an overkill for gaming?

As the title says - is the GTX 580 an overkill on a 60 Hz 27 inch monitor running @ 1920x1080 resolution? I currently have a GTX 570 in my system but planning on getting a new card, I just don't want an overkill thats going to waste money.

I have no budget but I do want to get the card that will play BF3 ultra keeping constant 60 frames, and I have a 600 Watt power supply which at the moment, according to the power calculator am only using 360ish watts of power.

If the 680 is a overkill then please help me out and recommend the best card based on what I said above,
Thanks!
17 answers Last reply
More about superclocked overkill gaming
  1. What about 570 SLI? You'd outperform the 680!

A new PSU and a 570 would be much cheaper than a 680 and outperform it as well.
  2. sli the 570
  3. it would not be overkill, but it would be a little cheaper to get a new psu and another 570, but if your motherboard doesnt support sli then you cant do that anyway. you could also fo with a gtx 670 for cheaper or even a gtx 660ti.
  4. How is the GTX 570 performing on your computer? Average FPS for BF3?
  5. A Bad Day said:
    How is the GTX 570 performing on your computer? Average FPS for BF3?

Well, with my heavily OC'ed 560ti 448 cores, which is almost if not faster than a GTX 580 I get around 47 average FPS.
  6. Wouldnt a 670 be cheaper ? He should be able to get 60 frames in ultra
  7. determinologyz said:
    Wouldnt a 670 be cheaper ? He should be able to get 60 frames in ultra

Not cheaper then another 570!
  8. which vram 570 does OP have?
  9. Yeah, if its only 1.2 GB, its not really going to help, and might be a waste also in my opinion, because then you'll have to turn down the settings, and then that just makes it pointless to buy another card ^.^
  10. Well I believe my motherboard: AsRock H77 Pro 4m supports SLI and I've been thinking about getting another 570 but still I want it to keep 60 frames constant on ultra because I'm going to have V-Sync on.
  11. dudewitbow said:
    which vram 570 does OP have?

My current 570 is a 1.2 GB version, and I'm looking at a Superclocked 1.2 GB version but the thing is the stock for the 570's are going down because I believe they are discontinued and with them being 110 dollars off... Well they won't last until Christmas or Boxing Day. Though once I get the money which hopefully will be on my birthday, I will most likely get another 570. Does it actually outperform a 680?
  12. 2 570s will run on 600w no problem. It will give you much more performance than a 680 in bf3.
  13. Depending on that 600W PSU, right now the problem is PCIE connectors.
  14. amuffin said:
    Depending on that 600W PSU, right now the problem is PCIE connectors.

Problem? Like maybe they won't fit? I can see two PCIE connectors right now and I believe there is a third one but because of the size of the 570 I believe it takes up quite a lot of space.
  15. Well I can't SLI because my motherboard only supports crossfire, so only single Nvidia card or dual Radeon's.
  16. sharpshooter_992 said:
    Problem? Like maybe they won't fit? I can see two PCIE connectors right now and I believe there is a third one but because of the size of the 570 I believe it takes up quite a lot of space.

Not enough PCIE Connectors.
  17. amuffin said:
    Not enough PCIE Connectors.

I have enough PCI-E connectors but my motherboard only supports crossfire... So any recommendations on pairing with ATI cards?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx Gaming Graphics