Delete files on CF card from computer on format on camera?

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 3, 2005 11:32:24 PM

Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:38:11 PM

I do both. Both work fine.

Tom
"Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:21:15 AM

"Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote
> Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?

Using the camera to delete or format is my practice. This way I am 100%
assured of compatibility. A PC delete or format, especially with third
party software, may leave the CF card in a state which the camera does not
expect. Admittedly, this is a "belt and suspenders" approach. On the other
hand, I haven't had the need for software to restore lost images from a
trashed CF card. I do have such a program however, undershorts in case the
belt and suspenders fail. ;)  Your comfort level may vary.
April 4, 2005 12:55:39 AM

Toomanyputters <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:

> Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?

I use a Mac, and Macs have this nifty piece of software called Image
Capture. Image Capture takes the images from media cards and copies them
to your hard drive, optionally doing things like embedding ICC profiles
and so forth.

I have it set to not delete the files from the card after downloading,
because I *know* that at some time in the future I'll end up forgetting
to tell it *not* to delete files I want to stay on the card. Formatting
the card or deleting all the images is a task I've decided always
happens in-camera, as a personal strategy. I know my limitations. :-)
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:21:31 AM

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:32:24 GMT, Toomanyputters <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:
> Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?

It doesn't matter much on any camera I've used. The Canon 20D tends
to litter a card with empty directories, so every once in a while, I
format the card to get rid of them.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

"Toomanyputters" <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote in message
> Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?
If you're going to clear all the photos on the card use the camera and
format. It's kinda like a reset and you're assured of compatibility. That
said, it should work either way, although the PC may leave a few things
behind.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 3:24:46 AM

In article <cxX3e.16783$JL2.521445@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
Toomanyputters <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:

("Subject: " header reinserted in the body for those whose newsreader
may make it difficult to read the "Subject: " header while also reading
the article.) Please -- always duplicate what is in the "Subject:"
header, as otherwise, some people will only see the disconnected line in
the body, as in this case. :-)

> Subject: Delete files on CF card from computer on format on camera?"

>Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?

There may be reasons which vary from camera to camera to favor
one over the other. The things which I consider to have an impact with
my Nikon D70 are:

1) Since the format of the cards is the MS-DOS "FAT" filesystem,
there is a problem of filespace fragmentation when files are
simply deleted as a matter of course. This will result in a
loss of speed as files have to be broken up into multiple parts.
This probably applies to all cameras which use a CF card or
similar, so individually deleting files should be reserved for
culling shots while in the field for whatever reason. A mass
delete (e.g. "DEL *.*" in MS-DOS or the GUI equivalent in
Windows), or "rm *" in unix is generally undesirable in the long
term -- and may be slower than reformatting the whole drive.

From this point of view, formatting, either in the camera or in
the computer should be equivalent, as long as the computer can
handle a FAT-64 filesystem (necessary for some of the larger CF
cards.)

2) Some cameras (e.g. the Nikon D70 and the CoolPix 950 -- the only
two all Nikon digital cameras with which I have experience),
both place a file at the root directory level, and create a
fixed (or alterable) subdirectory into which the images are
normally placed.

From this point of view, if the CF card is formatted, it should
be formatted in the camera, which knows what the camera expects,
and supplies it. (It may be that some computer programs
supplied with the cameras will supply this as well, but the
native format utility probably will not.

3) Probably not a problem with CF cards, but a possible problem
with micro-drives, which fit in the same place. That is the
problem of sectors going bad. Formatting on the computer should
detect these bad sectors, and map them out of service, so they
won't result in a damaged image. I don't know how smart the
camera format programs are about this, and at least with
Windows, apparently a surface analysis during formatting is not
turned on by default -- you have to click an option box to
select it, and this will take longer.

This is an argument for formatting it in the computer, not in
the camera -- at least occasionally.

My own feeling is that, with micro-drives, you should
occasionally do the full format on the computer, with testing for bad
sectors enabled, and subsequently re-format it in the camera to
re-install the desired files and subdirectories.

My other digital was a Nikon N90s film camera converted by Kodak
for the AP and re-labeled the "NC2000e". On that one, while it could
format in the camera, if so commanded from the computer, you got better
information from the computer's own format program if anything was
wrong. If the drive was in the camera, you simply had a very long
format time, with little clue what was wrong. This camera only used
PCMCIA hard disk drives, and PCMCIA format Flash cards -- and it would
not deal properly with a CF card in a PCMICA adaptor. But those hard
disks were easy to damage with physical shocks, and I made it a practice
to always format it the slow but complete way in the computer. but that
did not use any special files or subdirectories, so that was a
reasonable way to go -- and it sure beat having to connect the camera to
the computer via a SCSI bus.

If anyone else has knowledge about other cameras which suggest
one way or the other would be preferred, please add in your information.

Enjoy,
DoN.
April 4, 2005 5:49:22 AM

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:21:15 -0400, jfitz <jfitz@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, I haven't had the need for software to restore
> lost images from a trashed CF card.

Can I sell you a jar of amazing tiger repellent cream? In 20 years
of using it I haven't once been mauled by a tiger.

:-)

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:49:23 AM

Ben Rosengart wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 20:21:15 -0400, jfitz <jfitz@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> >
> > On the other hand, I haven't had the need for software to restore
> > lost images from a trashed CF card.
>
> Can I sell you a jar of amazing tiger repellent cream? In 20 years
> of using it I haven't once been mauled by a tiger.

and just because I shave, I have never been mauled by a tiger.
I even hand fed them.

there were two siberians
who were ready to try in spite of my shaving.

> :-)
>
> --
> Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
> Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
> questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
> --Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:28:49 PM

"Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote
> Ben Rosengart wrote:
>> Can I sell you a jar of amazing tiger repellent cream? In 20 years
>> of using it I haven't once been mauled by a tiger.
>
> and just because I shave, I have never been mauled by a tiger.
> I even hand fed them.

Does this mean if I shave using the amazing tiger repellant cream, I can
turn the tables and maul the tiger? ;)

This will certainly be a once in a lifetime event, especially if it is not
successful. My wife will be recording the event on a CF card erased and or
formatted in the camera being used, no sense in taking chances. ;)
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:07:18 AM

jfitz wrote:

> "Crownfield" <Crownfield@cox.net> wrote
> > Ben Rosengart wrote:
> >> Can I sell you a jar of amazing tiger repellent cream? In 20 years
> >> of using it I haven't once been mauled by a tiger.
> >
> > and just because I shave, I have never been mauled by a tiger.
> > I even hand fed them.
>
> Does this mean if I shave using the amazing tiger repellant cream, I can
> turn the tables and maul the tiger? ;)

he is waiting...
650 lbs, claws the length of my fingers, teeth even longer,
more intelligent than you would believe,
and can reach 10 feet above the ground,
and can hit 35 mph.

<http://thedigitalimages.com/ids/index.cgi?mode=image&al...;

jfitz, meet squinty.
squinty, meet jfitz.

let the game begin.

> This will certainly be a once in a lifetime event, especially if it is not
> successful. My wife will be recording the event on a CF card erased and or
> formatted in the camera being used, no sense in taking chances. ;)

and she will want to protect herself and the camera against splatters.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:52:22 PM

Toomanyputters wrote:

> Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?

I delete from the computer, but I also find that deleting from there is
not much faster (if at all) than re-formatting the card in camera.
Maybe when I upgrade my USB to 2.0 it will be a bit quicker. But that's
very low on my list.

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:58:14 PM

Paul Mitchum wrote:

> Toomanyputters <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:
>

>>Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?
>

> I use a Mac, and Macs have this nifty piece of software called Image
> Capture. Image Capture takes the images from media cards and copies them
> to your hard drive, optionally doing things like embedding ICC profiles
> and so forth.

I'm not sure why this is pertinent? Under WinXP when you hook up the
camera on USB the CF opens as a folder. A simple select-all and drag to
a new folder copies the images to that location. Files on the camera
are not deleted. From there, you can delete the camera files from the
PC or the camera. Or reformat in camera.

Most cameras come with their own custom s/w for loading the images from
camera to PC, but I find the folder to folder copy paradigm to be wholly
appropriate, and the design of the OEM s/w to be clunky (Minolta).

> I have it set to not delete the files from the card after downloading,
> because I *know* that at some time in the future I'll end up forgetting
> to tell it *not* to delete files I want to stay on the card. Formatting
> the card or deleting all the images is a task I've decided always
> happens in-camera, as a personal strategy. I know my limitations. :-)

You just need to develop a 'routine' that is relaiable.

Cheers,
Alan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:39:19 PM

> Paul Mitchum wrote:
>
> > Toomanyputters <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?
> >
> > I use a Mac, and Macs have this nifty piece of software called Image
> > Capture. Image Capture takes the images from media cards and copies them
> > to your hard drive, optionally doing things like embedding ICC profiles
> > and so forth.
>
> I'm not sure why this is pertinent? Under WinXP when you hook up the
> camera on USB the CF opens as a folder. A simple select-all and drag to
> a new folder copies the images to that location. Files on the camera
> are not deleted. From there, you can delete the camera files from the
> PC or the camera. Or reformat in camera.

This is true of the Mac, as well. You can just drag and drop a bunch of
files from the mounted camera media volume to your hard drive. But Image
Capture lets you easily do things like assign ICC profiles on all files
per attached device, and so forth. It can also run scripts on all the
files it downloads, so if you wanted to rename the files based on exif
info, or sort them into folders, you could write a script for it and
have Image Capture do it automatically.

> Most cameras come with their own custom s/w for loading the images from
> camera to PC, but I find the folder to folder copy paradigm to be wholly
> appropriate, and the design of the OEM s/w to be clunky (Minolta).

Image Capture is lean and clean. It's different in that it's actually
useful. :-) You can also use it to do things like TWAIN scanning without
launching Photoshop, and share your attached camera over Rendezvous (for
those moments when you can't be bothered to unplug your camera and
re-plug it in another computer across the room).

> > I have it set to not delete the files from the card after downloading,
> > because I *know* that at some time in the future I'll end up forgetting
> > to tell it *not* to delete files I want to stay on the card. Formatting
> > the card or deleting all the images is a task I've decided always
> > happens in-camera, as a personal strategy. I know my limitations. :-)
>
> You just need to develop a 'routine' that is relaiable.

That's exactly what I've done. I was answering the OP's question: The
way you 'should' do it is whatever works for you.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:02:59 AM

dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) writes:

> In article <cxX3e.16783$JL2.521445@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
> Toomanyputters <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:
>
> ("Subject: " header reinserted in the body for those whose newsreader
> may make it difficult to read the "Subject: " header while also reading
> the article.) Please -- always duplicate what is in the "Subject:"
> header, as otherwise, some people will only see the disconnected line in
> the body, as in this case. :-)
>
>> Subject: Delete files on CF card from computer on format on camera?"
>
>>Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?
>
> There may be reasons which vary from camera to camera to favor
> one over the other. The things which I consider to have an impact with
> my Nikon D70 are:
>
> 1) Since the format of the cards is the MS-DOS "FAT" filesystem,
> there is a problem of filespace fragmentation when files are
> simply deleted as a matter of course. This will result in a
> loss of speed as files have to be broken up into multiple parts.
> This probably applies to all cameras which use a CF card or
> similar, so individually deleting files should be reserved for
> culling shots while in the field for whatever reason. A mass
> delete (e.g. "DEL *.*" in MS-DOS or the GUI equivalent in
> Windows), or "rm *" in unix is generally undesirable in the long
> term -- and may be slower than reformatting the whole drive.
>
> From this point of view, formatting, either in the camera or in
> the computer should be equivalent, as long as the computer can
> handle a FAT-64 filesystem (necessary for some of the larger CF
> cards.)

I don't believe this is a problem if *all* files are deleted, though.
April 6, 2005 5:39:43 AM

In article <m27jjgimbw.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) writes:
>
>> In article <cxX3e.16783$JL2.521445@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
>> Toomanyputters <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:

[ ... ]

>>> Subject: Delete files on CF card from computer on format on camera?"
>>>Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?
>>
>> There may be reasons which vary from camera to camera to favor
>> one over the other. The things which I consider to have an impact with
>> my Nikon D70 are:
>>
>> 1) Since the format of the cards is the MS-DOS "FAT" filesystem,
>> there is a problem of filespace fragmentation when files are
>> simply deleted as a matter of course. This will result in a
>> loss of speed as files have to be broken up into multiple parts.

[ ... ]

>> From this point of view, formatting, either in the camera or in
>> the computer should be equivalent, as long as the computer can
>> handle a FAT-64 filesystem (necessary for some of the larger CF
>> cards.)
>
>I don't believe this is a problem if *all* files are deleted, though.

I'm not sure of the details of the returning of file space with
the FAT system. If it is just a set of bits flagging which sectors are
in use, and which are not, then yes -- it should be clean for the next
use.

But with some file systems I have used, where there is a linked
list of free sectors maintained by tagging on the linked list of sectors
from a just deleted file to the end of the free sectors list, even
deleting *all* files would not be sufficient. (This was in an old SSB
DOS-68 for the Motorola 6800 CPU, not a unix system which has its own
way of keeping the filesystem clean and quick.)

However -- consider that there are two subdirectories kept when
you delete everything else (at least on the filesystems used by the
Nikon D70 (and the Coolpix 950).

As seen by a unix system which is set to fold upper case to
lower for a mounted flash card, I see:

(From the D70)
..
../dcim <----- Directory
../dcim/100ncd70 <----- Directory
../dcim/100ncd70/dsc_1182.jpg <----- Files from here on down
../dcim/100ncd70/dsc_1183.jpg

[ ... snipped out of the middle ... ]

../dcim/100ncd70/dsc_1221.jpg
../dcim/100ncd70/dsc_1222.jpg
../dcim/100ncd70/dsc_1223.jpg
../dcim/100ncd70/dsc_1224.jpg

(From the CoolPix 950)
..
../dcim <----- Directory
../dcim/100nikon <----- Directory
../dcim/100nikon/dsc_0017.jpg <----- File (Actually from the D70, moved into the
smaller FC for carrying to a printer)

So the subdirectories have different names between the two, and thus
would need to be formatted in the camera when moving from one to the
other.

It would be possible to put more than one directory on the same
CF card, to allow both cameras to take turns using it. And if the
second directory is put on while the card is partially full, it will
cause at least some fragmentation. (And, other than a full format, I'm
not sure that the cameras can actually *delete* unwanted
subdirectories.)

And remember that Windows has a defragment tool, while unix
filesystems don't need one, for what that may be worth. And, the
filesystem on a CF card is a Windows (or at least a MS-DOS) filesystem,
not a unix one.

Enjoy,
DoN.
April 7, 2005 2:44:24 AM

dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) writes:

> In article <m27jjgimbw.fsf@gw.dd-b.net>,
> David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
>>dnichols@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) writes:
>>
>>> In article <cxX3e.16783$JL2.521445@twister.southeast.rr.com>,
>>> Toomanyputters <rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:
>
> [ ... ]

>>> There may be reasons which vary from camera to camera to favor
>>> one over the other. The things which I consider to have an impact with
>>> my Nikon D70 are:
>>>
>>> 1) Since the format of the cards is the MS-DOS "FAT" filesystem,
>>> there is a problem of filespace fragmentation when files are
>>> simply deleted as a matter of course. This will result in a
>>> loss of speed as files have to be broken up into multiple parts.
>
> [ ... ]
>
>>> From this point of view, formatting, either in the camera or in
>>> the computer should be equivalent, as long as the computer can
>>> handle a FAT-64 filesystem (necessary for some of the larger CF
>>> cards.)
>>
>>I don't believe this is a problem if *all* files are deleted, though.
>
> I'm not sure of the details of the returning of file space with
> the FAT system. If it is just a set of bits flagging which sectors are
> in use, and which are not, then yes -- it should be clean for the next
> use.
>
> But with some file systems I have used, where there is a linked
> list of free sectors maintained by tagging on the linked list of sectors
> from a just deleted file to the end of the free sectors list, even
> deleting *all* files would not be sufficient. (This was in an old SSB
> DOS-68 for the Motorola 6800 CPU, not a unix system which has its own
> way of keeping the filesystem clean and quick.)

I *think* I remember that FAT filesystems will merge adjacent free
blocks, or just flag the sectors as free, or whatever; but your point
about leaving directories around etc. raises another valid issue. My
personal practice is to format the cards in the camera I'm using them
in immediately before each use; I just couldn't resist the technical
filesystem discussion.
April 14, 2005 6:54:06 PM

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 19:32:24 GMT, "Toomanyputters"
<rainydays@theswamp.com> wrote:

>Sometimes or always or what "should" be the method?

In general, I think it depends on the computer literacy of the user.
With *most* cameras it makes no difference whether the card is
formatted in the camera or a card reader. In *most* cameras It makes
no difference if you delete the photos, or format as long as all the
photos are deleted.

You do have to use the same file system when formatting with the
computer as is used by the camera. In most cameras this is FAT-16,
but newer ones are going to FAT-32.

In *most* cameras it makes no difference if you *move* the photos, or
do a copy and then delete. OTOH it does make a difference if you make
a mistake, OR something goes wrong. I copy from the card to one
computer and then move from the card to a second computer.

With both my D-70 and the Oly E-20N I can format using the
computer/card reader. This leaves an empty card with no directories.
Installing one of these formatted cards into either camera and turning
on the camera will create the proper directories.

I can switch cards between the two cameras and I end up with two
directories. One for each camera. There after if I switch the cards
back and forth each camera puts its images into the proper directory.

I've only had one card that the computer could not read in the card
reader. I put it back in the camera, found the bad image, deleted the
image and all was fine in both the camera and card reader. I probably
turned off the camera while it was still writing to the card.

I purchased the E-20N when they first came out. I purchased the D-70
within a week of them being released. Shooting 4,000 to 6,000 images
a year, I have never had to format a card. Fragmentation has never
been an issue.

I did play around with formatting the cards and switching them back
and forth between the two cameras, but that is the only time those
cards have been formatted since I started shooting digital. I use a
pair of 256 meg and a single one gig CF card.

Neither way is going to hurt the cards, so I'd say to do what ever
makes you the most comfortable. Some always copy, delete, and format.
I copy and move as it's the most convenient and saves a step.

BTW, the old E20-N still gets a lot of use where speed is not an
issue. GAWD that thing is slow compared to the D-70.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:36:41 PM

Roger wrote:

> In general, I think it depends on the computer literacy of the user.
> With *most* cameras it makes no difference whether the card is
> formatted in the camera or a card reader. In *most* cameras It makes
> no difference if you delete the photos, or format as long as all the
> photos are deleted.

My camera manual recomends formatting in-camera. That seems quite good
advice to me as that is where the images will be made and stored. I
delete from the computer or re-format (in camera) from time to time.

!