krumpetski

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Hello,
I have a Asus P6T motherboard what are the graphics card limitations ie GeForce series
I would like to upgrade to a GeForce GTX 660

X58 boards have PCI-E 2.0 slots. PCI-E 3.0 cards like the GTX 660 will work in any PCI-E 2.0 slot, so the card will work as long as your power supply can handle the card. You shouldn't have CPU bottlenecking problems with the 660 either, though it would help to know which CPU you have.

krumpetski

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

GDay thanks for the response

this is my pc specs

power supply Antec TP 650w
mother board Asus P6T
cpu Intel core i7920 2.66Ghz
ram Kingston HyperX 6G Kit (3x2g) DDR3 1600
graphics card Nvidia GeForce 9600GT

krumpetski

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

Gday Supernova1138

did a typo error in my reply pasted wrong graphics card :eek:

graphics card Gainward PCI-E GTX 275

krumpetski

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012

Thanks for the info very much appreciated

and helpful regards

lasynth

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2012

I have a similar rig, but am running an ATI 5870 and want to replace it with 2 current GPUs (dual monitor rig plus adding a Cintiq and possibly a 3rd monitor in the future).

I've never overclocked a CPU and am wondering why you recommend doing so with 2 GPUs.

While here, any thoughts on 2 GPUs to support the above? It's an art production / gaming machine.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I suggested overclocking in his case because the i7 920 is clocked rather low at stock, and that can lead to a CPU bottleneck when gaming with two higher end graphics cards. If you have one of the higher clocked i7 900 series CPUs, you may not need to overclock at all to avoid CPU bottlenecking, though that would depend on which cards you got.

Current graphics cards are capable of supporting more than 2 displays, so you don't necessarily need to go for SLI or Crossfire in order to hook up everything you want to. Starting with the GeForce 600 series, Nvidia cards can run up to 3 displays on a single card. Any AMD card that is a worthwhile upgrade from your 5870 will support at least 4 displays.

The catch is, your third display and up needs to be connected via DisplayPort. If you do go the single card route, make sure your third monitor and your graphics tablet have DisplayPort inputs, or you will have to go out and buy active DisplayPort adapters.