Radeon 6870 - output to TV? (HDMI not an option!)

toupee

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Hi.

Simple question. I have an HDTV, but it's a lot older, and only has component inputs, not HDMI.

I have a Radeon 6870, and I would very much like to run a cable to my television.

I used to do this with my old 8800GT, but that had a VIVO port. My concern is that natively, the graphics card isn't going to convert a signal that can be passed through component cables into the TV. Is this correct?

What are my options? What do YOU do?

I would also consider something along the lines of a Roku - but I want to see my entire desktop, not just stream specific files.

Thanks!

kelvin08113

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
You may get something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158130 but it's kinda expensive. Try to get DVI to component adapter from your local stores because they are discontinued in online stores. If you get that box thingy you can get audio through HDMI so you won't need another adapter for audio again because the TV uses Left and Right (White and Red) cables. Err, I saw you said that HDMI is not an option but there's option-less if you can't find the adapter from your local stores.

Reminder: You will need another adapter for audio if you uses the DVI to component adapter.

Just to make sure I have understand what you need.

PC has 6850 card with HDMI/DVI
TV has Component(3 RCA cables + Audio)

If so read on....

I would watch out for the cable adapter options as you need to have a card that can pass analog over HDMI, I do not think the 6XXX cards do that.

kelvin08113 is on the path, You need an active(powered) adapter to convert the digital signal from HDMI to the analog Component(3 RCA) + L-Audio + R-Audio.

The problem is that the linked adapter goes backwards. Component to HDMI

Something like this

HDMI In to Component + Audio out, BUT i have never used this adapter and can not comment on its quality.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812705073