MSI 660ti Caught fire?

Defmute

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Hi guys,

Basically, I bought myself a MSI 660ti from ebuyer last night for next day delivery. Came this morning, plugged it into my pc, connected the 2x 6pin connectors. PC didn't start up, didn't even power up.

I then took out the connectors, started the PC and the message: "PLEASE INSERT THE PCI-E POWER CONNECTORS INTO THE GRAPHICS CARD". I turned off the computer. Plugged them in. And this time it started... However, about 10 seconds later, I smelt smoke, there was a large spark and i immediately turned off the power from the plug.

This is my PSU http://www.ebuyer.com/200491-coolermaster-gx-650w-psu-rs650-acaae3-uk?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products so I don't think there is any problem there, do you guys think it could be just a dodgy card?

I've already RMA'd the card and it's being collected, I'm just interested as to what may of caused the problem.

Cheers

Two things your Power supply is no good Tier 4 - Not Recommend for stressful situations. May not be able to put out full rated power above room temperature, and may fail to meet ATX specs. Source: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/permalink/323050/323050/ShowThread.aspx#323050 or it could be because of this read this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-18013_55_50.html#t368992 though i doubt this was the cause as i have two MSI 670 PE and have no such issues the whole thing seems fishy to me on all parts so i am not sure what to believe but MSI will replace it so no worries you have a warranty

Defmute

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Thanks for your comments guys, I've spoken to a few more people and they've said my PSU should be absolutely fine for the GPU and that I've just had "bad luck" with the card I got.

Do you guys think it's more likely that's its just the card?

Superflower units are not as good as they are made out to be, I got a NZXT unit 1kw that I had coughed up $210 for last year and it died. Don't buy any units made by them even if they are under different brands. Seasonic made units are the way to go.

As for your card a lose connection will cause problems like this but never know there would have been a short the whole time. Sometimes lose solder can make its way across areas that it shouldn't be.

Defmute

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

Is the second point true?!

I thought Superflower was one of the good ones?

Currently the good ones are:
Seasonic
Delta
Enermax
FSP
CWT

They are good amuffin he just had a bad experience it happens sometimes this has left him bitter towards the company i am sure he has his reasons.

F

xaos24

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

And I thought from what they've said that seventeam was bad?

Depends you can't judge only by company that would be stupid. As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have a or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you’re aiming for the highest number on the 12V line.Though i shouldn't of wrote that list period as it doesn't apply to picking a good power supply

Defmute

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Just received this email from MSI:

"Hi Matthew,

I believe your graphic card was faulty, cause GeForce GTX 660 Ti works fine with 450-500 PSU already.

Plus if smokes comes out it means there was a short circuit in the board. If not enough power the card will only malfunction or not power up at all."

And then they said:

"I contacted our technical department to get an answer to your questions.
Their answer is:

Please use the following link about Nvidia to find information about the minimal required powersupply:
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660ti/specifications
650W should be sufficient.
We can’t judge if the powersupply or the PSU caused the problems based on the given information, but I think it is fair to expect that the VGA is broken now :)"

^ Thanks for clarifying that MSI.

Defmute

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
But yes, the supplier is going to replace the GPU, or if they can't because it's out of stock, send me a 670 instead :) :p

oh i misunderstood well like i mentioned i seen that power supply shoot sparks out it killed my buddies mobo to :pfff: but that's what happens when you use bad rated power supplies :(

Defmute

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah I plan on upgrading my PSU soon thanks for your advice :)

Their performance is Good and nothing to look down on but there are still problems that creep up. My unit had no problems but one day I got coil squeal then it went away for a few months then one day the system crashed. Traced the problem down to the psu and to be specific the eps phase that drives the cpu failed. The second phased worked for a while but that unit never did work with that board again. The unit lasted only a month more with a 775 xfx 780i then it died. Power from the 24pin main atx was present as the leds on the board came up but the unit would never switch back on. Looking at other customer reviews people are having similar issues. One blew the breaker when it went out. :ouch:

glory88

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/MSI-GTX-660-670-overvolting-PowerEdition,18013.html

This is it!

It causes some PCs not to boot, and if there is a week connection... it wont... so yeat MSI screwed all of us... Maybe. I have a PC power and cooling Silencer MKII 750W and its fine but... yeah thats dumb... they should give me the difference i paid and the shipping i paid for this version