Sign in with
Your question

AMD A8 with discrete graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2012 10:40:18 AM

Hello,

So i bought a HD 7870 and i have an AMD a8 3870k is my CPU bottlenecking or why cant i still not get 60 fps even on low in bf3?
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 1:19:20 PM

We need more information of your PC specs. We can't give you a decent answer without the details of your PC...

Go to your profile and use the signature box to post your information of your specs, like mine, so that you won't have to type them in the comment box every time.
a c 259 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
October 3, 2012 1:28:48 PM

Alex_83 said:
Hello,

So i bought a HD 7870 and i have an AMD a8 3870k is my CPU bottlenecking or why cant i still not get 60 fps even on low in bf3?

One buys a 3870K for the superior integrated graphics, not it's compute capability.
With a good discrete card, a Intel chip would probably have been better.

To see the effect of insufficient cpu power, Limit your cpu, either by reducing the OC, or, in windows power management, limit the maximum cpu% to something like 50%.
This will simulate what a lack of cpu power will do.

What to do? See if you can OC that 3870K a bit.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
October 3, 2012 1:29:27 PM

You should verify you are not in dual-graphics mode.

The HD7870 would not play well with the graphics engine on the A8-3870k (which is more like an HD6570).

a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 1:30:34 PM

Alex_83 said:
Hello,

All I can say from what you have given is that an AMD A series are the worst possible choice for a processor. The lack the power of a regular CPU that isn't integrated with GPU.

If you are lagging on BF3 there could be the issue that your computer isn't using the HD7870 for its graphics instead be using the crappy integrated.

There is a known issue for the AMD A series that by default it will use its integrated gfx as the main video adapter unless you go into the bios and AMD control to change it to PCI-E.

a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 1:32:51 PM

Wisecracker said:

The HD7870 would not play well with the graphics engine on the A8-3870k (which is more like an HD6570).

Its actually a HD6550D, a real crappy card even compared to AMD Mobile series.

a b U Graphics card
a b À AMD
October 3, 2012 3:05:25 PM

meat_loaf said:
Its actually a HD6550D, a real crappy card even compared to AMD Mobile series.

You're failing :lol: 

There is no such thing as a HD6550D 'card'. The Llano A8-3870k APU SIMD engine is based upon 40nm Redwood cores of the ATI Evergreen family. It's an HD56xx/55xx with the core clock at 600MHz and 400 shaders using VLIW5.

Trinity APUs utilize 40nm Turks cores from the Northern Islands family - Radeon HD 65xx/66xx using VLIW4 with the core clock at 800MHz and 386 shaders.

The successor to the Trinity APUs, Kaveri, will utilize 28nm Cape Verde GCN cores of the HD7750.

The OP's issue is that dual-graphics uses alternate frame rendering. The HD7870 and the APU graphics engine are highly dis-similar. It is difficult for them to *sync-up* frames. That's why I said:

Quote:

At least, until you came crashing into this thread, offering no help, what-so-ever.

a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 2:13:52 AM

HD6550D is reported by PCMAG.com revieiwer.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 2:18:03 AM

And for your information I offered help to him. As I said before, it could be because it is using the integrated gfx as its main adapter as in "the controller unit" rather than the discrete gfx card installed.

Which is the same answer as dual graphics.

October 8, 2012 5:26:44 PM

Well I can say its not my other parts but i can post em if you want to.. Anyways just tell me if its a huge bottleneck and i know the a8 wasnt meant for this but i cant upgrade my cppu and mobo. Thanks for all the help
October 8, 2012 5:28:52 PM

Also its propably the dual graphics mode but how bad is my cpu and are there better FM1 chips all help appreciated thanks!
a c 259 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
October 8, 2012 5:34:30 PM

Alex_83 said:
Well I can say its not my other parts but i can post em if you want to.. Anyways just tell me if its a huge bottleneck and i know the a8 wasnt meant for this but i cant upgrade my cppu and mobo. Thanks for all the help

Recognizing that a cpu/mobo update is not possible, you should at least try to see if the cpu is the culprit.
If reducing the cpu performance makes a big difference, as I suggested earlier, then you know there is little else to do except to try some overclocking.

From looking at your configuration, I would be concerned about the 60gb SSD if it is getting full.
A ssd will slow down as it fills, sometimes significantly so.

Three things to do:
1) get the latest graphics drivers, and perhaps even try a beta version.
2) Verify that your games have the latest patches installed.
3) Check for viruses or malware.
October 8, 2012 5:47:06 PM

Well... I could update my CPU (maybe :D ) but not the mobo... Are there any good FM1 CPUs? I cant test those because now my mobo is broken and theyre sending me a new one because it was still under warranty. But i will when i get it :) 
!