Sign in with
Your question

System Upgrade

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2012 7:32:18 AM

Hi Guys, I hope you can help me. I made a new built about 3yrs ago. That is the computer that I am currently using. Here are the specs:

Mobo: 1ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2
GPU: XFX HD-587A-ZND9 Radeon HD 5870 (Cypress XT)
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 6GB, 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX100G 2.5" 100GB SATA II
HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3
Cooler: XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

For me the computer has worked and stills work great. But I don't want to wait 3 more years and see myself forced to do a full upgrade because all my parts are too old... If they aren't already lol...

I just wanted to know what good advice any of you can give me about a decent upgrade for my actual hardware without spending too much money. If you think I should swap anything and gain a significant performance boost.

For the budget anything under $500 would be nice.

**I do gaming but is casual and my current GPU handles very well the current games I play so I will stick to my XFX Card

Thanks in advance to any of you that is willing to help :wahoo: 

More about : system upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
November 26, 2012 8:28:47 AM

Keep what you have now; you won't gain anything by upgrading now unless you want a new video card. Or if you have the patience, sell your old board/cpu/ram as a package deal and wait for a buyer. Then order some new parts. Unless you're rich, you won't gain enough performance for the money spent. Frys had a 3570K combo for $179 after rebate saturday, but most folks don't have a frys nearby. That would have been a great cost effective upgrade.
m
l
November 26, 2012 9:05:18 AM

as a gamer myself the only thing i would replace would be your gpu and overclock the cpu if you havent already, nothing else realistically needs replacing unless you use it as a work computer or do alot of encoding etc, its still a good rig in my eyes anyways
m
l
November 27, 2012 1:06:37 AM

Thanks to both.
m
l
!