Unable to connect to the net without Router

wal

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

bought a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G router, installed it and it worked ok.
I need to remove it temporarily from my set up now, and when I remove the
router from the loop, and connect my PC directly to my Cablemodem, I get no
connection (My PC is Wired into the router btw, not linked wirelessly). I
tried making a new connection with the Windows XP Connection Wizard, but
still nothing. Anybody able to help a poor confused newb?

Wal wrote:

> bought a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G router, installed it and it worked ok.
> I need to remove it temporarily from my set up now, and when I remove the
> router from the loop, and connect my PC directly to my Cablemodem, I get no
> connection (My PC is Wired into the router btw, not linked wirelessly). I
> tried making a new connection with the Windows XP Connection Wizard, but
> still nothing. Anybody able to help a poor confused newb?

Make sure your network card does not have an internal IP specified.
I'm guessing the cable modem has DHCP so you shouldn't have to specify
anything in the network card.

Also, I know with certain cable internet providers you need to push some
sort of a re-sync buttton on the modem to aquire the new MAC address of
the network card.

--
http://www.tditcorp.com <-- keep your computer safe and secure the easy
way!

"Tom - www.tditcorp.com" <tom999@ica.net> wrote in message
> Wal wrote:
>
>> bought a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G router, installed it and it worked
>> ok.
>> I need to remove it temporarily from my set up now, and when I remove the
>> router from the loop, and connect my PC directly to my Cablemodem, I get
>> no
>> connection (My PC is Wired into the router btw, not linked wirelessly). I
>> tried making a new connection with the Windows XP Connection Wizard, but
>> still nothing. Anybody able to help a poor confused newb?
>>

> Make sure your network card does not have an internal IP specified.
> I'm guessing the cable modem has DHCP so you shouldn't have to specify
> anything in the network card.
>
> Also, I know with certain cable internet providers you need to push some
> sort of a re-sync buttton on the modem to aquire the new MAC address of
> the network card.
>
> --
> http://www.tditcorp.com <-- keep your computer safe and secure the easy
> way!

yep, usually power-off cycle does the trick