Elements 3 or Paint Shop Pro 9

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 3, 2005 8:07:39 PM

Anyone been able to compare both? Which one is better for jpeg
tweaking/fixing?

I was able to download and test Paint Shop, which I liked.... wasn't
able to test drive Elements; my system doesn't like Adobe's setup file.

---
Slack
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:20:11 PM

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:07:39 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Slack
<slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote:
wasn't
>able to test drive Elements; my system doesn't like Adobe's setup file.

So what makes you think you can then run the non-demo version? Doesn't this
answer you're question?
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
April 3, 2005 11:20:12 PM

Ed Ruf wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:07:39 -0700, in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems Slack
> <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote:
> wasn't
>
>>able to test drive Elements; my system doesn't like Adobe's setup file.
>

> So what makes you think you can then run the non-demo version? Doesn't this
> answer you're question?
> ----------

The download demo uses a lame msi setup file, I'm 98% sure that the
retail ver doesn't.
--
Slack
April 3, 2005 11:26:32 PM

"Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
> Anyone been able to compare both? Which one is better for jpeg
> tweaking/fixing?
>
> I was able to download and test Paint Shop, which I liked.... wasn't able
> to test drive Elements; my system doesn't like Adobe's setup file.
>
> ---
> Slack

Tried Elements and Paintshop Pro, got rid of both in favour of Photoshop CS.
April 3, 2005 11:26:33 PM

Rudy Benner wrote:

> "Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
>
>>Anyone been able to compare both? Which one is better for jpeg
>>tweaking/fixing?
>>
>>I was able to download and test Paint Shop, which I liked.... wasn't able
>>to test drive Elements; my system doesn't like Adobe's setup file.
>>
>>---
>>Slack
>

> Tried Elements and Paintshop Pro, got rid of both in favour of Photoshop CS.

I'm sure it's very nice, but too rich for my wallet. $100-$200, I can
manage.

Out of curiosity, what was missing in both that made you dump them?
--
Slack
Anonymous

"Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
> Anyone been able to compare both? Which one is better for jpeg
> tweaking/fixing?
>
> I was able to download and test Paint Shop, which I liked.... wasn't able
> to test drive Elements; my system doesn't like Adobe's setup file.

Sorry I can't do comparison for you, but I think you'll be happy with
elements 3. It's really a standard (by that I mean a standard for those who
want to spend less that $600). Good luck.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:47:04 AM

> Rudy Benner wrote:
>
>> "Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Anyone been able to compare both? Which one is better for jpeg
>>>tweaking/fixing?
>>>
>>>I was able to download and test Paint Shop, which I liked.... wasn't able
>>>to test drive Elements; my system doesn't like Adobe's setup file.
>>>
>>>---
>>>Slack
>>

>> Tried Elements and Paintshop Pro, got rid of both in favour of Photoshop
>> CS.
> I'm sure it's very nice, but too rich for my wallet. $100-$200, I can
> manage.
>
> Out of curiosity, what was missing in both that made you dump them?
> --
> Slack

Results.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 10:04:16 PM

Slack wrote:

> Anyone been able to compare both? Which one is better for jpeg
> tweaking/fixing?
>
> I was able to download and test Paint Shop, which I liked.... wasn't
> able to test drive Elements; my system doesn't like Adobe's setup file.

A non answer: Finally, with Elements 3.0, 16 bit/color editing is
available (with some limitations), so I've downloaded and been using it
for over a week now. It is slow in some respects, esp, if the entire
application needs to be redrawn (really badly done, or done to ship
product quick rather than ship quick product.)

I'm used to most hings Photoshop so ...

The 16 bit/color is important to me for initial image editing. Once I
get the colors and tone right, off to 8 bit it goes.

I DL'd the trial and I'll DL the actual product (Save US$10, not to
mention cheaper at the store by a margin...)

Now that you mention Paint Shop has a test DL, I'll give it a try
sometime in the next week... does it have RAW import?

Cheers,
Alan.

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
April 4, 2005 10:04:17 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> Slack wrote:
>
>> Anyone been able to compare both? Which one is better for jpeg
>> tweaking/fixing?
>>
>> I was able to download and test Paint Shop, which I liked.... wasn't
>> able to test drive Elements; my system doesn't like Adobe's setup file.
>

> A non answer: Finally, with Elements 3.0, 16 bit/color editing is
> available (with some limitations), so I've downloaded and been using it
> for over a week now. It is slow in some respects, esp, if the entire
> application needs to be redrawn (really badly done, or done to ship
> product quick rather than ship quick product.)
>
> I'm used to most hings Photoshop so ...
>
> The 16 bit/color is important to me for initial image editing. Once I
> get the colors and tone right, off to 8 bit it goes.
>
> I DL'd the trial and I'll DL the actual product (Save US$10, not to
> mention cheaper at the store by a margin...)
>
> Now that you mention Paint Shop has a test DL, I'll give it a try
> sometime in the next week... does it have RAW import?
>
> Cheers,
> Alan.

Yeah, it does support RAW. Not sure how extensive it is.

--
Slack
Anonymous

In article <d2sdks$pid$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,

>A non answer: Finally, with Elements 3.0, 16 bit/color editing is
>available (with some limitations).

The biggest limitation I've found is that although Elements 3.0
supports 16 bit editing, and it supports adjustment layers, it's
an either/or proposition - you can't use layers iwith 16-bit data.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:11:01 AM

Paint Shop Pro 9 is a top-of the-range program which includes some very
useful features for digital camera users:

- barrel/pincushion distortion correction

- perspective connection

- chromatic aberration reduction

- digital camera noise reduction

which I think set it apart from cut-down Elements.

David
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:03:17 PM

Rudy Benner wrote:

> Tried Elements and Paintshop Pro, got rid of both in favour of Photoshop CS.

And how much money did you get rid of?

It depends on your needs of course, but Elements 3.0 does a lot more
than my basic needs of adjusting levels, colors, cropping and USMing, so
that's all I'll pony up. If I really into the "art" of photoshopping
images, if I were a graphics designer, then CS would be the thing indeed.

But Elements 3.0 at $90 for the DL is way cheaper than even the "special
offer" upgrade of CS to CD2...

Cheers,
Alan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:52:50 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

> I DL'd the trial and I'll DL the actual product (Save US$10, not to
> mention cheaper at the store by a margin...)
^^^^ cheaper than at the store...
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:20:00 PM

Slack wrote:

>> Now that you mention Paint Shop has a test DL, I'll give it a try
>> sometime in the next week... does it have RAW import?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alan.
>>

> Yeah, it does support RAW. Not sure how extensive it is.

Okay, I'll give it a whirl. Thx/

Cheers,
Alan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:39:29 PM

John Francis wrote:

> In article <d2sdks$pid$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,
> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>A non answer: Finally, with Elements 3.0, 16 bit/color editing is
>>available (with some limitations).
>

> The biggest limitation I've found is that although Elements 3.0
> supports 16 bit editing, and it supports adjustment layers, it's
> an either/or proposition - you can't use layers iwith 16-bit data.

In the few instances where I use layers, I'm at the point where 8 bit
editing is fine.

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:04:38 PM

In article <d30oqe$c1k$2@inews.gazeta.pl>,
>John Francis wrote:
>
>> In article <d2sdks$pid$1@inews.gazeta.pl>,
>> Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>A non answer: Finally, with Elements 3.0, 16 bit/color editing is
>>>available (with some limitations).
>>

>> The biggest limitation I've found is that although Elements 3.0
>> supports 16 bit editing, and it supports adjustment layers, it's
>> an either/or proposition - you can't use layers iwith 16-bit data.
>>

>In the few instances where I use layers, I'm at the point where 8 bit
>editing is fine.

Most of the time I'd agree with you - the one time where it was
an issue recently (trying to selectively pull detail out of the
shadows in one part of an image, while leaving those elsewhere
unchanged) I was able to come up with an alternative approach.

But there are some people who prefer to do everything in layers,
right from the start.
!