Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 7 laptop will not stay connected to my netgear router

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 23, 2012 5:26:28 PM

Hello,
i have a samsung laptop running windows 7. i have a netgear modem and router. all of my other devices connect with no problems but my laptop wont stay connected. it will connect for a while and then it will disconnect. help me! this is very frustrating
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 5:52:18 PM

how far away from the router is your laptop? and how strong is the signal?

also in device manager under your wireless network adaptor make sure the turn off this device to save power

box is unticked--not all adaptors have this so dont worry if its not there

but there may be other options to increase the power of the wireless card
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
February 23, 2012 6:04:03 PM

Whats your laptop model name and model number?

Atheros wireless chipsets are horrible. I know because I had to deal with an Atheros wireless chipset problem.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 2, 2012 2:12:37 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
how far away from the router is your laptop? and how strong is the signal?

also in device manager under your wireless network adaptor make sure the turn off this device to save power

box is unticked--not all adaptors have this so dont worry if its not there

but there may be other options to increase the power of the wireless card



i should have added some more detail to this before. the laptop and the router are in the same room most of the time. this laptop works with other peoples wifi. could the fact that i live in the country and my internet speed is super slow have anything to do with it? my speed is .70mbps.
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 2:16:36 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Whats your laptop model name and model number?

Atheros wireless chipsets are horrible. I know because I had to deal with an Atheros wireless chipset problem.



Samsung Series 3 NP300E5A-A02UB
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 2, 2012 2:22:43 PM

0.70mbs is slow for broadband

but in theory its still capable of wireless

you can this to test your wireless signal strength

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

anything under 55db is excellent

over 60db is strong over 65db not so good and over 70db you will struggle to maintain signal

this is more accurate than the windows 5 bar measure
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 3:30:28 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
0.70mbs is slow for broadband

but in theory its still capable of wireless

you can this to test your wireless signal strength

http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

anything under 55db is excellent

over 60db is strong over 65db not so good and over 70db you will struggle to maintain signal

this is more accurate than the windows 5 bar measure



i have DSL cause they dont offer anything else in my area. it is showing -35db.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 2, 2012 3:37:27 PM

35db is really strong so its not caused by weak signal

have you tried updating the wireless driver
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 4:08:37 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
35db is really strong so its not caused by weak signal

have you tried updating the wireless driver



my comp says everything is up to date.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 2, 2012 4:10:27 PM

has it always had the problem or is it a recent thing?
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 5:25:26 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
has it always had the problem or is it a recent thing?




this is a brand new computer. maybe 2 months old. works fine on other networks.
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 5:29:04 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
has it always had the problem or is it a recent thing?



router and modem are brand new as well
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 2, 2012 5:47:17 PM

if its new and works on other networks then i would suggest changing the channel on your wireless router

if i use the default channel i get problems--but when i put it on channel 9 it works perfectly ok
m
0
l
March 2, 2012 6:18:04 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
if its new and works on other networks then i would suggest changing the channel on your wireless router

if i use the default channel i get problems--but when i put it on channel 9 it works perfectly ok



i am not entirely sure how to change the channel on the router. the main thing about this that i dont understand is why does my kindle, iphones, and gaming consoles work but not the laptop.
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 2, 2012 6:46:44 PM

are you using the windows wireless networking to connect or a software from samsung that came on the

laptop?

i had issues trying to use belkin software before and when i uninstalled it the windows built in wireless worked fine


to change channel in the router you need to know where your router log in page is

can find that by opening command prompt and typing ipconfig /all and looking for the default gateway

begins 192.168 usually

put that address in a web browser and then you need the router log in details--usually written on the

router or in the router user manual

different routers use different log in pages--ie bt uses 192.168.1.254




m
0
l
March 2, 2012 8:03:30 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
are you using the windows wireless networking to connect or a software from samsung that came on the

laptop?

i had issues trying to use belkin software before and when i uninstalled it the windows built in wireless worked fine


to change channel in the router you need to know where your router log in page is

can find that by opening command prompt and typing ipconfig /all and looking for the default gateway

begins 192.168 usually

put that address in a web browser and then you need the router log in details--usually written on the

router or in the router user manual

different routers use different log in pages--ie bt uses 192.168.1.254


ok thanks. i am going to try it when i get home. i will let you know what happens.
m
0
l
August 1, 2012 1:13:24 PM

kylesummer said:
ok thanks. i am going to try it when i get home. i will let you know what happens.


I am experiencing almost similar problem as yours. What I noticed is that when I plug the AC power, the WiFi signal is not dropping, but if it's on battery, the problem occurs again. Even if I change the Channel on my router, the same problem happens. It must be the WiFi Card on my Samsung series 3 NP300E4A.
m
0
l
March 26, 2013 11:37:59 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
if its new and works on other networks then i would suggest changing the channel on your wireless router

if i use the default channel i get problems--but when i put it on channel 9 it works perfectly ok


Thank you VERY MUCH!!!!!

I'm using a Netgear JWNR2000T router, everything works perfect, laptops using XP, Adroid devices, iPhones..... but not with the two laptops running Win7 that trying to connect to it recently......they simply cannot detect the router!! I don't know why....both the laptops shown a list of someone else routers, only my Netgear!!!

Tried lots of ideas from internet, simply won't work.....while the solution is so simple.....change Channel from "Auto" to a fixed one!!! It worked!!!

Thanks again!! God bless you!!
m
0
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
March 26, 2013 12:00:36 PM

you are welcome :) 
m
0
l
!