Msi GTx 660 ti OC being bottlenecked by my CPu?

SO i have the new MSI GTX 660 Ti OC PE edition card and a amid athalon II x4 640 3.0 GHZ processor and while in bf3 on ultra i get 35 to 59 fps. and it keeps going up and down. does this mean my CPU is bottle-necking my gpu?
13 answers Last reply
More about bottlenecked
  1. bf3 is very CPU oriented especially when you play MP. Try unlocking the cores on your CPU
    that should help a little.
  2. how do i unlock the cores to my CPU?
  3. Well if your motherboard supports it firs of all...Let me know what make/model of motherboard you have...then we can perhaps help you
  4. You already have 4 cores so there are none to unlock. Overclocking on the other hand could be very worthwhile. You really need a better CPU though.
  5. If you can fish up $100 give or take a little you can get a decent Phenom 2 x4 and sometimes a 960T will pop up with a chance to unlock two extra cores.
  6. so basically my cpu is bottle necking my gpu. i get 50% to 65% gpu usage in bf3.
  7. BigMack70 said:
    Yup that's the classic sign of a CPU bottleneck. What resolution are you playing at?

1920x1080
  8. should i go with intel then instead of amd? if so which one do you recoommend adn what mother board do you recommend.
  9. Best answer selected by dustyfellow1.
  10. BigMack70 said:
    Well if you have a motherboard that supports Phenom II CPUs, you can just get one of those and be OK.

If you want to upgrade your mobo + CPU, then you definitely want Intel. Get a decent z77 board for $100-150 and pair it with a core i5-3550k. That's a ~$350 upgrade, though.

it's okay i have the money so can you show me a good mother board?
  11. but it should be good for ym GPU right? i can play bf3 and guild wars 2 at higher and stable fps?
  12. sir bigmack thanks for all the info man. ill buy these on my next pay check and be off to a new gaming life. lol.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx CPUs Graphics Product MSI-Microstar