Sign in with
Your question

New PC advice- Gaming/ 3D rendering build

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2012 12:47:40 PM

Hi, looking at replacing my ageing PC, been looking around at a few things, and have come up with the following build

i7 3770k
Asus Maximus 5 Formula mobo
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce OC edition
Samsung 128gb 840 series SSD
Seagate 2TB 7200rpm 64mb cache HDD x 2
G.Skill 16gb TridentX 2400mhz CAS11 Ram
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler, with extra 120mm fan
Antec 1200 v3 Full Tower Case
Antec Truepower 750w PSU

All up, should cost around $1650 aud from various suppliers.

I'm running this on 2x 1080P monitors, and I play a ton of games, BF3, Dota 2, WoW, SC2, CS:GO, and it should be more than enough for that, but I've recently started attempting some 3D design, using Maya, and 3DS Max, and some CAD (still working out what I prefer) and was wondering if anything there could be replaced, or changed out for something better, or cheaper, at equivalent specs
November 26, 2012 1:06:41 PM

Your motherboard is too expensive. Change it into any Asrock motherboard.

Do you plan to SLI? If not get a cheaper 500~600w PSU.

Drop down to 1600Mhz ram. You won't notice the difference.
m
l
November 26, 2012 1:10:41 PM

You WILL notice the difference in the RAM speed when rendering... so - depending on how much it cost extra compared to how much time you'll be spending rendering, you'll have to decide if the cost is worth the extra speed of RAM
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2012 1:12:12 PM

Asrock doesnt seem to have the best reputation, and I know Asus's is rock solid, plus, I'm planning on OC'ing it more and more, and software requirements go up over the years, so I'd rather have a solid foundation for everything. I am planning on running an SLI, will pick up another 670 in a couple months, and from what I could tell in the few reviews I've read, whilst I wouldn't noticed much difference in most uses for 2400mhz ram, doing intensive rendering should show a reasonable improvement, and the price difference isn't all that much anymore
m
l
November 26, 2012 1:20:44 PM

Asrock is so good that ASUS is planning to buy them back because they are getting too good. Asrock used to be ASUS's cheap motheerboard division.

Asrock is always being recommended by people. The rampage motherboard is overpriced and is only a Micro ATX board which would limit upgradability.javascript: validform(this);
m
l
November 26, 2012 1:39:27 PM

cutebeans said:
Asrock used to be ASUS's cheap motheerboard division. The rampage motherboard is overpriced and is only a Micro ATX board which would limit upgradability

From what I know, ASrock was owned by a subsidiary of Asus years ago, but they were never affiliated development wise, so they weren't just a a cheap Asus brand. And that board isn't a m-atx, that would be the Gene, not the Formula. And overpriced is somewhat dependent on your definition I guess. Not just looking for cheap, and easily overclockable, the features on the board appealed to me as well, 7.1 channel shielded audio would be nice paired with my headphones, and the built in watercooling block would save me 100-$150 if I ever decided to go down that route.

I don't really know a huge amount about computer hardware, but I'm not an idiot, and I have been trying to research it, so telling me to change a part simply because you deem a board to be too expensive, without actually explaining why an alternative product is better, seems to be rather counter productive
m
l
November 26, 2012 1:58:24 PM

That's PRETTY ODD. When I mentioned the RAMPAGE Motherboard at 10:20:44am that you posted a while back, the motherboard MAGICALLY CHANGED INTO the FORMULA motherboard at 10:26:22.

Good luck with your $280 board. LOL.
m
l
November 26, 2012 2:09:43 PM

Rampage merely denotes the series of boards? Not the individual components of the board? There was a Rampage Gene, Formula, and Extreme, now its the Maximus of the same names. That was a mistake from me, so I corrected it, but I don't understand why you seem to be so aggressive?
I just want to build a new pc, and was looking for intelligent input on it some parts I had in mind, not immature attempts at belittling someone who's looking for help with something they're not entirely familiar with.
m
l
November 26, 2012 2:23:10 PM

The board you first picked out was an X79 board anyway so if you bought it then you would have been stuck with a $300 POS.

Anyway, good luck with that build. Make sure your headset also supports 7.1 channel or it would be a waste of money as well. Yeah, sorry about being aggressive. I misread what you said. :( 
m
l
November 26, 2012 2:29:00 PM

The board I first picked out was the Maximus 5 Formula, I just wrote it as the Maximus 5 Rampage by mistake, I didn't confuse the chipsets. And I have a pair of Razer Tiamat headphones, which I believe are the only true 7.1 cans on the market
m
l
!