Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
I started off with a system with the following specifications:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 1.86GHz
Mobo: MSI 975X Platinum
RAM: Corsair 2x1GB RAM DDR2-800
Vid Card: Gigabyte GV-NX76T256D-RH 7600GT 256MB GDDR3
PSU: Corsair HX Series CMPSU-520HX 520W Power Supply

For the most part the system ran fine and I didn't have any major problems, but I use it as a video server (PS3 Media Server) and wanted to improve transcoding for 1080 source material. It worked ok for watching, but fast forward or rewind wouldn't work well. I also wanted to improve video encoding times when converting .flv files to other formats. I purchased the following equipment:

CPU: AMD|FX8320 AM3+ 3.5GHz
Mobo: ASROCK 990FX Extreme4
RAM: 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-4GBXM
Vid Card: Same
PSU: Same

In the past I have used repair installations when changing motherboards and I have never had a problem. However this time I made an Acronis image of the HDD as backup and tried this technique
How to install a new motherboard without reinstalling Windows | Ars Technica
Which is basically manually removing all drivers that are specific to the old motherboard and CPU, rebooting with the new hardware, then re-installing the new drivers. With a little trial and error and a tool that removes non-present devices from Device Manager I was able to get it to boot up fine and install the new drivers. At first I thought everything was fine but it just seemed that the computer would hang while doing things. I then had task manager running while using the computer and the CPU load would be almost 0% during these hangs and there was no significant HDD access. It was just sitting there. I notice this type of behavior the most while using the web browser, or installing, or uninstalling software. Also, my internet speed is about 15M. But when I go to any site to test it is reported to be 50-70M now (regardless of browser). The upload speed is still reported properly. Another example is that I was downloading (not installing yet) updates from windows updates and I tried to play an MP3 file and it was really choppy. So I tried a repair installation of Windows XP and it made no difference. I have looked through Device Manager (even looking at hidden devices and non-present devices) and I have found no problems at all. I decided to install a benchmark tool (PassMark) and the CPU test was less than 2000 and it should be over 8000. Actually the memory and graphics card benchmarks were much worse as well. Only the HDD performance was near what it was suppose to be. I have also done a clean install on another HDD and while I didn't run benchmark tests, it didn't seem any better. Could this be a faulty mother board or CPU?

Solution
I would have a quick look at your CPU temps to start... maybe it's throttling.

Second I would have to say maybe windows XP can't handle the new architecture properly. Install windows 7 if you can afford to.

Was your old rig OCed?

I suspect a clean install of a modern OS will sort out the problem. Try ubuntu if you can't afford windows. It can serve and encode just as easily.

americanbrian

Distinguished
I would have a quick look at your CPU temps to start... maybe it's throttling.

Second I would have to say maybe windows XP can't handle the new architecture properly. Install windows 7 if you can afford to.

Was your old rig OCed?

I suspect a clean install of a modern OS will sort out the problem. Try ubuntu if you can't afford windows. It can serve and encode just as easily.

Solution

lemmy999

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Thanks for the replies. The temps are about 68C. The Bios is 1.80 so it should support that CPU. When I did a clean install it of XP SP3 it didn't seem any better, but I don't have benchmark data. I am going to try that again tonight and run benchmark. This motherboard and all of the associated drivers claim to fully support XP SP3.

lemmy999

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
It has the stock cooler on it. I just checked in SIW and all 8 cores are 67C.

The one thing in SIW that I am not sure is correct is the CPU speed. For CPU clock speed it is listed as 3500 like it is supposed to be. But each of the 8 cores are listed at 1400. Shouldn't all of the cores be at 3500?

lemmy999

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
It looks like that could be my problem. I see people over clocking and getting much lower temps. I think it is throttling back since core temps are 67C at idle. I guess I will take the heatsink off and have a look to make sure it is on well. Clean off the grease and put some artic silver on.

americanbrian

Distinguished

I got it from AMD's very own spec sheet.

http://products.amd.com/pages/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=770&f1=&f2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

lemmy999

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
That was it! I got home and was about to take the heat sink off and the fan wasn't running. I thought I had checked that before. It is now running fine. The CPU core temps are 17C and the CPUTIN sensor is 38C and the core clock speeds are 3700MHz now. I feel really stupid for missing the fan. Thanks!