Artius

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
I am running a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5570 graphics card in my Shuttle SP35P2 barebones. Until early this year I ran game like Skyrim and Fallout 3/NV happily on high settings, and games like BF3 on medium-low settings with minimal lag, I didnt check the gfx temps much at that time, but from what i can remember under load it was around 70°c. Now I have considerable, often unplayable lag, especially when my card reaches near 100°c, and my gfx card now runs in the high 60°s/low 70°s while idle and up to 108°-110°c under load. I clean out the dust from my pc regularly, including thorough cleaning of all fans and heatsinks, and have seen barely any build-up of dust on my 5570's fan. I even removed my network card, which was alongside the graphics card, and moved the pc to a more ventilated spot to allow more air flow, but to no avail. Any suggestions what may be causing this, and how, or if, it can be fixed?

could be two issues. could be a bios or driver issue that not making the fan speed up as the card heats up. i would try a 3 party tool like msi afterburner and see if when you turn the fan speed up to max you hear the fan spin up. if the fan does spin up try setting the fan to max out sooner. if the fan does not spin up and is stuck at one speed. you may want to se if the card under warranty and rma it.

Artius

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
i've used both speedfan, and amd overdriver (in catalyst) to lock the fan speed up at 100%, but it seems to make next to no difference to the temperature. On closer inspection, both seem to be lying about my fan speed as it is not on at all...which explains a lot..
its a few years old so the warranty is undoubtedly dead and buried. any suggestions where i could buy a replacement fan?