Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
hi all.....

Need Advice on my new build
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week
SYSTEM SPECS:
MOBO : Asrock Extreme 4 Z77
CPU : i5 3570k
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 16GB or Hyper-X genesis 16GB quad (cheaper by 20 buck)
SSD : Intel 330 120GB
HDD : 1TB seagate barracuda
PSU : Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W 80+
OVERCLOCKING: Yes
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 still looking for a good 23' or 24'

In the midst to select these cards?

1. MSI GTX 670 Power Edition 2GB DDR5 (AfterBurner) at USD460 with 3 year warranty

OR

2. Sapphire HD7970 Ghz Edition (Dual-x with trixx) 3GB DDR5 at USD480 with 2 year warranty

both card are not yet discount by seller...the extra buck wont be a problem warranty wise indeed need some advise or personal experience dealing with either both company... both card stand good feature when O'Ced other then the obvious cheaper and longer period of warranty what more should i look at? drivers? firmware? oc utility? reliability?
Its been awhile (Like 5-6 yr ago :p) since I build a gaming rig since I'm always on the go and most of the time tangle with my lappy ...

Please Comment....

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

Technicians from msi customer support has already given their response on that particular matter,if you're still unaware about it check this discussion -
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=34045157

@arnoldr3
if that particular model is overpriced you can check other models they're selling which comes with higher clock speed than 7970 ghz edition -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127698

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127672

And if msi doesn't please you,you can also choose the asus models which are almost equally good.

arnoldr3

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
Yea cool....but additional $1** worth it? Its known to be the best just as Asus GTX680 TOP version... but the reason why i choose those 2 card since the price tag just nice below $500 ...

arnoldr3

Honorable
Sep 4, 2012
I know ....MSI currently done overvolting ....but to make it more "effectively" u must get some sort of the "un released" version of the afterburner utility...i read it from some forum regarding the overvolting mod ...

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

Every manufacturer use overvolting in their non reference OC'ed cards but they don't exceed the limit of 5.5V set by richtech who supplies the components of the circuitry.Msi uses military class iii equivalent of those components,the specs of which no one knows though,but msi also claims they've tested their products with those components and overvolted to 9.3V because they saw it fit and worth releasing in the market.
The problem nvidia has expressed on this is totally different.As this overvolting has allowed msi to achieve higher boost clocks than what they've rated and what nvidia have rated its just something nvidia isn't sure what they would do with it.
At the end the end users gain with higher boost clocks.

What does Military Class III components have to do with running a component out of spec?

Military Class just means that the component has to be able to operate under certain physical environmental conditions (i.e. like Low Pressure (Altitude), High Temperature, Low Temperature, Temperature Shock, Contamination by Fluids, Solar Radiation (Sunshine), Rain, Humidity, ..., etc.) without failure, none of them having to do with running a component outside of its electrical specifications. This doesn't mean that the graphics card or motherboard will operate under the same conditions.

The only thing that matters is if MSI is willing to stand behind their warranty when a problem arises due this design decision and not try to blame the customer.

Anik8

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010

Ah... that military class thing again,okay I used the term but its because I actually don't know what components they're using.The maximum msi reveals is that all components are military class 3 certified and that's why I said 'military-class-equivalent',i.e. to say they're certainly not using the same richtech components that other manufacturers are using which only allow voltage increases of 5.5V and as long as this unrevealed components with possibly higher specs enable msi to push the limits of their products to new heights we can't have anything to say against them.Like you said 'the only thing that matters is MSi is willing to stand behind their warranty'.
MSI has even proceeded further to assure the customers and Tom's that there has been no reports of a dying card as of now.
But at the end of all this don't you agree that by doing this MSI has rather raised the bar of modifying GPUs rather than purposely cheating/faulty circuitry and all that is being circulated around.The terms like cheating,faulty circuitry also seem provoking IMO.