Looking to buy digital slr

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 5, 2005 12:36:29 AM

Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
Thanks
Pete

--
remove xxx from email to reply

More about : buy digital slr

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:36:30 AM

"""""" wrote:
> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
> Thanks
> Pete

After several months of research and hanging around the various forums,
I picked up a D70 about 2 weeks ago. I love it. It's about a half
generation ahead of the D100, though a little less feature-full in some
areas. But that's mostly minor stuff to me as this is my first dSLR.
There will be a D50 soonish(?) that may offer a lower entry point, but I
don't know what will be sacrificed feature-wise. I don't expect a next
generation D70/D100 until at least the latter half of the year, maybe as
late as fall/winter, but that is just a guess (and my predictions are
more often wrong than right).

As is often said here, the best camera is the one in your hands. And
after waiting three months to get mine, I heartily agree.

Randy.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:49:31 AM

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:36:29 GMT, """""" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.

It would help if you explained what your criteria are.

Nikon's probably going to release another DSLR or two soonish --
both the D70 and the D100 are getting old, especially the D100.
I'm a big fan of buying what one needs when one needs it and damn
the release cycle, but depending on your situation, you might find
it worthwhile to wait.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

"Ben Rosengart" <br+rpdss@panix.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:36:29 GMT, """""" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
>
> It would help if you explained what your criteria are.
>
> Nikon's probably going to release another DSLR or two soonish --
> both the D70 and the D100 are getting old, especially the D100.
> I'm a big fan of buying what one needs when one needs it and damn
> the release cycle, but depending on your situation, you might find
> it worthwhile to wait.

The D70s is already acknowledged by Nikon, as is the D50.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05033105nikond50real....
http://www.infodigitalcamera.com/
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7...

Lots of new Nikon dSLRs in the pipeline these days...seems like a bad time
to buy old technology unless you can get it for a stellar price.

HMc
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:15:53 AM

"\"\"\"\"\"\"" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote in news:hzh4e.5769$7b.3917
@trndny01:

> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
> Thanks
> Pete

Canon EOS 20D by a country mile. Best camera I've ever owned, so far.
ISO 100, 8 megapixal, PC sync, easy controls. Just handle one before you
decide. Let us know what you get.

April 5, 2005 4:03:42 AM

My criteria?
Need good skin tones,
low ISO,
sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.
Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.
Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
Make large blowups
Thanks
Pete

--
remove xxx from email to reply
"Ben Rosengart" <br+rpdss@panix.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:36:29 GMT, """""" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
>
> It would help if you explained what your criteria are.
>
> Nikon's probably going to release another DSLR or two soonish --
> both the D70 and the D100 are getting old, especially the D100.
> I'm a big fan of buying what one needs when one needs it and damn
> the release cycle, but depending on your situation, you might find
> it worthwhile to wait.
>
> --
> Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400
> x215
> Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
> questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
> --Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:03:43 AM

"""""" wrote:

> My criteria?
> Need good skin tones,
> low ISO,
> sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.

good stuff. I have 2 qc-8's.

warning:

no digital camera can withstand
the very high trigger voltages that some studio packs generate.
plan on one of the trigger protectors, like wein makes.

even better, use a pocketwizard.(safe to 250 volts)
once you try cordless, you will never go back willingly.

> Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.
> Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
> Make large blowups
> Thanks
> Pete
>
> --
> remove xxx from email to reply
> "Ben Rosengart" <br+rpdss@panix.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:36:29 GMT, """""" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
> >> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
> >
> > It would help if you explained what your criteria are.
> >
> > Nikon's probably going to release another DSLR or two soonish --
> > both the D70 and the D100 are getting old, especially the D100.
> > I'm a big fan of buying what one needs when one needs it and damn
> > the release cycle, but depending on your situation, you might find
> > it worthwhile to wait.
> >
> > --
> > Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400
> > x215
> > Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
> > questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
> > --Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:03:43 AM

"""""" wrote:

> My criteria?
> Need good skin tones,
> low ISO,
> sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.

fuji S2, S3

> Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.
> Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
> Make large blowups
> Thanks
> Pete
>
> --
> remove xxx from email to reply
> "Ben Rosengart" <br+rpdss@panix.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:36:29 GMT, """""" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
> >> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
> >
> > It would help if you explained what your criteria are.
> >
> > Nikon's probably going to release another DSLR or two soonish --
> > both the D70 and the D100 are getting old, especially the D100.
> > I'm a big fan of buying what one needs when one needs it and damn
> > the release cycle, but depending on your situation, you might find
> > it worthwhile to wait.
> >
> > --
> > Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400
> > x215
> > Sometimes it only makes sense to focus our attention on those
> > questions that are equal parts trivial and intriguing.
> > --Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:25:21 AM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:03:42 GMT, """""" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
> My criteria?
> Need good skin tones,
> low ISO,
> sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.
> Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.
> Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
> Make large blowups

I don't want to start a brand war -- but the two Nikon models you
mentioned are not the only DSLRs that fulfill those requirements.

Color rendition will have as much to do with your workflow as with
the camera. For "low ISO" (why?) Nikon is not your best bet, they
only go down to 200. In terms of speed, I am pretty sure that some
of the newer models out there beat the D70 and D100. (Whatever you
end up with, make sure you buy an appropriate CF card, as that can
also limit the speed of various operations.)

For large blowups, use good glass and either short shutter speeds
or a tripod. The extra pixels in an 8MP camera wouldn't hurt either.

If it doesn't bust your budget and you're not committed to the Nikon
lens mount, you might look at a Canon 20D. I just checked, and it
does have a PC sync socket. I have one of these. Sometimes I get
impatient waiting for the CF card when I am reviewing pictures, but
that might be my choice of CF card. Booting is nearly instantaneous.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:31:27 AM

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:36:29 GMT, "\"\"\"\"\"\""
<xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:

>Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
>Thanks
>Pete

Canon 20D...

"Every man, woman, and responsible child has a natural,
fundamental, and inalienable human, individual, civil, and
Constitutional right (within the limits of the Non-Aggression
Principle) to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any
weapon -- handgun, shotgun, rifle, machinegun, anything
-- anytime, anywhere, without asking anyone's permission."

The Atlanta Declaration
-- L. Neil Smith
http://www.lneilsmith.com/
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:32:40 AM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:03:42 GMT, "\"\"\"\"\"\""
<xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:

>My criteria?
>Need good skin tones,
>low ISO,
>sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.
>Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.
>Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
>Make large blowups
>Thanks
>Pete

Then you want a Canon. 100 iso which the D70 lacks.

"Every man, woman, and responsible child has a natural,
fundamental, and inalienable human, individual, civil, and
Constitutional right (within the limits of the Non-Aggression
Principle) to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any
weapon -- handgun, shotgun, rifle, machinegun, anything
-- anytime, anywhere, without asking anyone's permission."

The Atlanta Declaration
-- L. Neil Smith
http://www.lneilsmith.com/
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 5:01:42 AM

\"\"\"\"\"\" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:

> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.

D70 is better than D100 unless you happen to need one of the few things
the D100 has that the D70 doesn't. The replacement for it is coming
along soon, but it's a very minor update, so you might even take advantage
of that and see if you can get a better price on a D70. It's a great
camera.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

Ben Rosengart <br+rpdss@panix.com> wrote:

> In terms of speed, I am pretty sure that some of the newer models out
> there beat the D70 and D100. (Whatever you end up with, make sure you
> buy an appropriate CF card, as that can also limit the speed of various
> operations.)

Unless you're shooting sports or something, the D70 is plenty fast even
with a bog-standard, non-high-speed CF card. You don't have to wait to
take the next shot, and the startup is instant. I don't have any kind
of high-speed CF card in mine, and I've never had to wait for the
camera at all. It's very fast.

> If it doesn't bust your budget and you're not committed to the Nikon
> lens mount, you might look at a Canon 20D.

Definitely. If you have no lenses, now is the time to figure out which
brand you want to go with. The lenses you get will last you much longer
than the camera itself.

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
Anonymous

In article <1153orms6brkt89@corp.supernews.com>,
Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:

> \"\"\"\"\"\" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
>
> D70 is better than D100 unless you happen to need one of the few things
> the D100 has that the D70 doesn't. The replacement for it is coming
> along soon, but it's a very minor update, so you might even take advantage
> of that and see if you can get a better price on a D70. It's a great
> camera.

Don't know if 2 additional mp can be called a minor update.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:12:00 AM

Gregory Blank wrote:

> In article <1153orms6brkt89@corp.supernews.com>,
> Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:
>
> > \"\"\"\"\"\" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
> >
> > D70 is better than D100 unless you happen to need one of the few things
> > the D100 has that the D70 doesn't. The replacement for it is coming
> > along soon, but it's a very minor update, so you might even take advantage
> > of that and see if you can get a better price on a D70. It's a great
> > camera.
>
> Don't know if 2 additional mp can be called a minor update.

anything under double is minor.
to make the image twice as large, the mp count is x 4.

> --
> LF Website @ http://members.verizon.net/~gregoryblank
>
> "To announce that there must be no criticism of the President,
> or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong,
> is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable
> to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:14:05 AM

In article <yBk4e.4318$7b.4257@trndny06>,
"\"\"\"\"\"\"" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:

> My criteria?
> Need good skin tones,
> low ISO,

D70- ISO 200

> sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.

D70 Not there but you can add it to the hot shoe.

> Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.

D70 is fast.

> Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
> Make large blowups

How large, "Enlargements"

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:16:55 AM

In article <4251b907$0$91693$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
"Howard McCollister" <nospam@nospam.net> wrote:

> "Ben Rosengart" <br+rpdss@panix.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:36:29 GMT, """""" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
> >> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
> >
> > It would help if you explained what your criteria are.
> >
> > Nikon's probably going to release another DSLR or two soonish --
> > both the D70 and the D100 are getting old, especially the D100.
> > I'm a big fan of buying what one needs when one needs it and damn
> > the release cycle, but depending on your situation, you might find
> > it worthwhile to wait.
>

> The D70s is already acknowledged by Nikon, as is the D50.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05033105nikond50real....
> http://www.infodigitalcamera.com/
> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7...
>
> Lots of new Nikon dSLRs in the pipeline these days...seems like a bad time
> to buy old technology unless you can get it for a stellar price.
>
> HMc

IOW forget the D100 ;-)

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 6:34:20 AM

Gregory Blank <bugstopped_@gregblankphoto.com> wrote:

> Don't know if 2 additional mp can be called a minor update.

From 6 to 8, you'll hardly notice. Sure, the extra 2 can't hurt, but I
wouldn't wait on one of Nikon's epic release schedules for it...

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
April 5, 2005 8:10:03 AM

"\"\"\"\"\"\"" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote in news:hzh4e.5769$7b.3917
@trndny01:

> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.

Got any opinions? You asked the right group, we are full of opinions!

My opinion is that the Canon 20D is the best you'll get at consumer prices
and is well worth the extra cost over the Nikon D70 or Canon 350D.

However if you have Nikon glass and wish to stick with Nikon (which you
never mentioned), then I would say that either the D70 or wait for the
replacement for the D100. The D100 is not a bad camera, but I would not
advise buying one today, it is well out of date now.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 20-Jan-05)

A little off the subject, but why is it that camera model numbers seem to
always go down in progression rather than up? And how do they know ahead of
time that they won't run out of model numbers before they run out of
upgrades?

mike

"Randy W. Sims" <RandyS@ThePierianSpring.org> wrote in message
> """""" wrote:
>> Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
>> Thanks
>> Pete
>
> After several months of research and hanging around the various forums, I
> picked up a D70 about 2 weeks ago. I love it. It's about a half generation
> ahead of the D100, though a little less feature-full in some areas. But
> that's mostly minor stuff to me as this is my first dSLR. There will be a
> D50 soonish(?) that may offer a lower entry point, but I don't know what
> will be sacrificed feature-wise. I don't expect a next generation D70/D100
> until at least the latter half of the year, maybe as late as fall/winter,
> but that is just a guess (and my predictions are more often wrong than
> right).
>
> As is often said here, the best camera is the one in your hands. And after
> waiting three months to get mine, I heartily agree.
>
> Randy.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:05:58 PM

Crownfield wrote:

> warning:
>
> no digital camera can withstand
> the very high trigger voltages that some studio packs generate.
> plan on one of the trigger protectors, like wein makes.

Maxxum 7D -400 to +400 volts. Some companies remember where it all came
from.

Cheers,
Alan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:08:23 PM

"""""" wrote:

> My criteria?
> Need good skin tones,
> low ISO,
> sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.

A semi-retired pro wants to sell me one of his ascor packs and couple
lights. How have you found them to to be wrt reliability over the
years; spare parts? etc.? Spare incandescents? etc.

Thanks,
Alan

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 9:10:34 PM

"""""" wrote:

> My criteria?
> Need good skin tones,
> low ISO,
> sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.
> Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.
> Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
> Make large blowups

As far as 6 MPIX DLSR's, consider the Maxxum 7D as well the rest. The
PC sync will take voltages from -400 to +400. ISO 100. Quieter image
than the D70 (according to dpreview). Blowups to 15x10, no problem.

Cheers,
Alan
-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:12:39 AM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:05:58 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
> Crownfield wrote:
>
>> no digital camera can withstand
>> the very high trigger voltages that some studio packs generate.
>> plan on one of the trigger protectors, like wein makes.
>
> Maxxum 7D -400 to +400 volts. Some companies remember where it all came
> from.

The Canon 20D can handle up to 250v, according to the review at
photo.net. I think that Crownfield's statement may have been
correct up to a year or two ago, at least for mass-market stuff.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:12:40 AM

Ben Rosengart wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:05:58 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>Crownfield wrote:
>>

>>>no digital camera can withstand
>>>the very high trigger voltages that some studio packs generate.
>>>plan on one of the trigger protectors, like wein makes.
>>
>>Maxxum 7D -400 to +400 volts. Some companies remember where it all came
>>from.
>

> The Canon 20D can handle up to 250v, according to the review at
> photo.net. I think that Crownfield's statement may have been
> correct up to a year or two ago, at least for mass-market stuff.

That's news to me. ...let's see. Ah, right there on page 98 of the 20D
manual, -250 to 250V. I guess it was other Canon's (SLR's?) that have a
problem in this regard.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:32:13 AM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:17:04 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

> That's news to me. ...let's see. Ah, right there on page 98 of the 20D
> manual, -250 to 250V. I guess it was other Canon's (SLR's?) that have a
> problem in this regard.

Yes, apparently the 10D's limit was 6v.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:32:14 AM

> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:17:04 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>> That's news to me. ...let's see. Ah, right there on page 98 of the
>> 20D manual, -250 to 250V. I guess it was other Canon's (SLR's?) that
>> have a problem in this regard.
>
> Yes, apparently the 10D's limit was 6v.

If I may interject a question. The photo.net review states "the 20D can
support a flash trigger voltage up to 250v (vs. 6v on the 10D and 300D)
due to the use of a semiconductor switch rather than depending on a
mechanical contact." Would this also apply to using a non-Canon flash
that is rated above 7v on the hot shoe? I have a Sunpak 266D that I
wanted to use on my 20D, but had always thought that anything over 7v
would fry the electronics. It would fit in with my needs and be great if
I could throw into my small bag with the camera when I go on excursions.

April 6, 2005 3:11:08 AM

Ben Rosengart wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:05:58 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>Crownfield wrote:
>>

>>>no digital camera can withstand
>>>the very high trigger voltages that some studio packs generate.
>>>plan on one of the trigger protectors, like wein makes.
>>
>>Maxxum 7D -400 to +400 volts. Some companies remember where it all came
>>from.
>

> The Canon 20D can handle up to 250v, according to the review at
> photo.net. I think that Crownfield's statement may have been
> correct up to a year or two ago, at least for mass-market stuff.

I agree that the 20D is a great choice (or the slightly more expensive 1
D Mk II)

For the flash , you would be safer to use a hot shoe to pc adapter OR
use the IR flash trigger from Canon which I think includes a pc connection.

Either way, if something goes wrong you won't fry you body.

www.urbanvoyeur.com
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 6:37:00 AM

On 5 Apr 2005 21:04:22 -0500, Constant Reader <dinner@eight> wrote:

> If I may interject a question. The photo.net review states "the 20D can
> support a flash trigger voltage up to 250v (vs. 6v on the 10D and 300D)
> due to the use of a semiconductor switch rather than depending on a
> mechanical contact." Would this also apply to using a non-Canon flash
> that is rated above 7v on the hot shoe?

I believe that that's exactly what it applies to.

> I have a Sunpak 266D that I
> wanted to use on my 20D, but had always thought that anything over 7v
> would fry the electronics. It would fit in with my needs and be great if
> I could throw into my small bag with the camera when I go on excursions.

How much voltage does it put out?

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:04:05 AM

Ben Rosengart wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 20:36:29 GMT, """""" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>>Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
>>

>It would help if you explained what your criteria are.
>
>Nikon's probably going to release another DSLR or two soonish --
>both the D70 and the D100 are getting old, especially the D100.
>I'm a big fan of buying what one needs when one needs it and damn
>the release cycle, but depending on your situation, you might find
>it worthwhile to wait.

Hi,
Ditto, he who hesitates will never buy anything till hell freezes. I
bought D70 and enjoying it.
Tony
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 12:09:21 PM

> On 5 Apr 2005 21:04:22 -0500, Constant Reader <dinner@eight> wrote:
>>
>> If I may interject a question. The photo.net review states "the 20D
>> can support a flash trigger voltage up to 250v (vs. 6v on the 10D and
>> 300D) due to the use of a semiconductor switch rather than depending
>> on a mechanical contact." Would this also apply to using a non-Canon
>> flash that is rated above 7v on the hot shoe?
>
> I believe that that's exactly what it applies to.
>
>> I have a Sunpak 266D that I
>> wanted to use on my 20D, but had always thought that anything over 7v
>> would fry the electronics. It would fit in with my needs and be great
>> if I could throw into my small bag with the camera when I go on
>> excursions.
>
> How much voltage does it put out?

I tested it and it puts out just over 7v. I have read anecdotal stories
about people using up to 12v without problems on other digital cameras,
and others that have said they fried theirs using the same. Now, having
said that, I have used a PC cord with another on-camera-type flash unit,
but off camera with no problems at all. My primary concern was with the
hot shoe and the direct contact with the camera's electronic system. I
figured that a PC connecter would be sufficiently buffered against higher
voltages from studio stobes powered by AC. I bought my 20D last December,
and as I recall I even e-mailed Canon about it, and they said "No, wait
until OUR new flash comes out". Of course they would. With 2000 bucks
tied up in a camera and lens system, I don't want to chance the damage
that might occur. Be just my luck that I'd be the one in a million that
would end up with a smoking hulk of a camera. But any other info you can
supply would be appreciated. I'm going to research this anew.
Thanks
rvw
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 12:16:09 PM

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 02:11:59 +0000, Gregory Blank wrote:

> In article <1153orms6brkt89@corp.supernews.com>,
> Jeremy Nixon <jeremy@exit109.com> wrote:
>
>> \"\"\"\"\"\" <xvze3qtgix@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Got any opinions? Narrowed my choices down to Nikon d70 and Nikon d100.
>>
>> D70 is better than D100 unless you happen to need one of the few things
>> the D100 has that the D70 doesn't. The replacement for it is coming
>> along soon, but it's a very minor update, so you might even take advantage
>> of that and see if you can get a better price on a D70. It's a great
>> camera.
>
> Don't know if 2 additional mp can be called a minor update.

It's a minor update. Anyone who thinks they are going to improve their
images with an additional 2 MP is deluding themselves. 6MP cameras are
fine for 98% of what most people need.

--
The good old days start now.
Anonymous

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:03:42 +0000, """""" wrote:

> My criteria?
> Need good skin tones,
> low ISO,
> sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.
> Fast writing to the compact flash or hard drive.
> Fast booting up, my Olympus e10 takes forever.
> Make large blowups
> Thanks
> Pete

The D70 starts at 200 ISO.

What I like about the D70 in a studio environment is that provided your
strobes have built in slaves, you don't need a synch terminal. All you do
is set the pop-up flash to manual and turn down the juice to around 1/16.
This provides enough light to trigger the strobes, but doesn't affect your
subject in any way.

The D70 writes incredibly quickly. When I moved back to Nikon from Canon
(ptooie!) I was amazed at how quickly the image appeared on the preview
screen of the D70. It also has no perceptible shutter lag or lengthy
boot-up time.

--
The good old days start now.
Anonymous

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 01:05:05 +0000, Jeremy Nixon wrote:

> Ben Rosengart <br+rpdss@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> In terms of speed, I am pretty sure that some of the newer models out
>> there beat the D70 and D100. (Whatever you end up with, make sure you
>> buy an appropriate CF card, as that can also limit the speed of various
>> operations.)
>
> Unless you're shooting sports or something, the D70 is plenty fast even
> with a bog-standard, non-high-speed CF card. You don't have to wait to
> take the next shot, and the startup is instant. I don't have any kind
> of high-speed CF card in mine, and I've never had to wait for the
> camera at all. It's very fast.
>
>> If it doesn't bust your budget and you're not committed to the Nikon
>> lens mount, you might look at a Canon 20D.
>
> Definitely. If you have no lenses, now is the time to figure out which
> brand you want to go with. The lenses you get will last you much longer
> than the camera itself.

Something to consider when it comes to lenses is the range available.
There are far more used Nikkors on the market than there are Canon EF
lenses. In the studio environment this is very helpful because while you
don't get metering with the older MF Nikkors on a D70 or D100, you don't
need it in a studio.

If I was buying a new DSLR today and money wasn't an option I would
probably go for a D2X, but I think that the best bang for the buck out
there is the D70, without a doubt.

--
The good old days start now.
Anonymous

Constant Reader wrote:

> Ben Rosengart <br+rpdss@panix.com> wrote in
>

>>On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 17:17:04 -0400, Alan Browne
>><alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>That's news to me. ...let's see. Ah, right there on page 98 of the
>>>20D manual, -250 to 250V. I guess it was other Canon's (SLR's?) that
>>>have a problem in this regard.
>>
>>Yes, apparently the 10D's limit was 6v.
>>

> If I may interject a question. The photo.net review states "the 20D can
> support a flash trigger voltage up to 250v (vs. 6v on the 10D and 300D)
> due to the use of a semiconductor switch rather than depending on a
> mechanical contact." Would this also apply to using a non-Canon flash
> that is rated above 7v on the hot shoe? I have a Sunpak 266D that I
> wanted to use on my 20D, but had always thought that anything over 7v
> would fry the electronics. It would fit in with my needs and be great if
> I could throw into my small bag with the camera when I go on excursions.

Should be fine if under 250 V, either polarity.

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:01:22 PM

<i>A little off the subject, but why is it that camera model numbers seem
to always go down in progression rather than up? </i>

Well, gee. The Oly E-1 was followed by the E-300 . . .

April 6, 2005 11:36:25 PM

news:D 2uujg$inv$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Crownfield wrote:
>
> > warning:
> >
> > no digital camera can withstand
> > the very high trigger voltages that some studio packs generate.
> > plan on one of the trigger protectors, like wein makes.
>
> Maxxum 7D -400 to +400 volts. Some companies remember where it all came
> from.
>
> Cheers,
> Alan

And that's why all new cars should be supplied with reins, harness, and
carriage whips.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 2:25:59 PM

Paul H. wrote:

> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@freelunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message

>>Maxxum 7D -400 to +400 volts. Some companies remember where it all came
>>from.
>
> And that's why all new cars should be supplied with reins, harness, and
> carriage whips.

All cars seem to have brakes, a steering wheel, seats, etc. as they've
had since the beginning.

Camera flashes are now generally all Xenon tube (having abandoned
Lycopodium powder and flash bulbs).

As pack and monolights are still triggered by pc-sync circuits, camera
equipped to trip them by wire should withstand the voltages of these
circuits.

Progress progresses where needed. But Canon had no valid excuse to have
a high voltage intolerant PC sync in some of its camera.

Cheers,
alan.

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
April 8, 2005 11:43:27 AM

There's place in Chicago that still sells the flash tubes. Spare
incandescent pro shop have them or can order them. I still have 2 ascor
CD1200 power packs with a total of 8 heads one pack is new brought kept it
in storage hardly ever used it. The other pack I used constantly still
running fine after more than 20 years of use.
Pete
--
remove xxx from email to reply
news:D 2uuo1$inv$2@inews.gazeta.pl...
> """""" wrote:
>
>> My criteria?
>> Need good skin tones,
>> low ISO,
>> sync socket so I can use it with my big old ascor studio strobes.
>

> A semi-retired pro wants to sell me one of his ascor packs and couple
> lights. How have you found them to to be wrt reliability over the years;
> spare parts? etc.? Spare incandescents? etc.
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

> -- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
> -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 2:01:54 PM

"""""" wrote:

> There's place in Chicago that still sells the flash tubes. Spare
> incandescent pro shop have them or can order them. I still have 2 ascor
> CD1200 power packs with a total of 8 heads one pack is new brought kept it
> in storage hardly ever used it. The other pack I used constantly still
> running fine after more than 20 years of use.
> Pete

Thanks.

-- slr-systems FAQ project: http://tinyurl.com/6m9aw
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 8:02:42 PM

> """""" wrote:
>
>> There's place in Chicago that still sells the flash tubes. Spare
>> incandescent pro shop have them or can order them. I still have 2
>> ascor CD1200 power packs with a total of 8 heads one pack is new
>> brought kept it in storage hardly ever used it. The other pack I used
>> constantly still running fine after more than 20 years of use.
>> Pete
>
> Thanks.

You should charge that backup unit once a month or so to keep the
electrolytic capacitors from losing 'form'.
!