Computer won't boot past logo! (sometimes...)

melead

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Alright I am running Windows 7 ultimate x64 on my newly built computer. My computer can successfully boot past the bios and get to the logo screen. Then I get to the Windows logo which is a hit or miss. Sometimes it will boot successfully and I will have no problems whatsoever and I can enjoy my computer without worrying about anything. Then sometimes it will get hung on the logo and it will just stop responding. I don't know if this is an issue with my HDD or maybe my power supply. I think that this may be a problem with my power supply because I notice that my keyboard LED turns of when it hangs like that. The only question then is "why is this not a consistent problem that I can isolate?"

Here are my specs (don't judge please):
Case: Coolermaster HAF 922

CPU: Core i7 3930k (3.2 ghz stock; will OC to 4)

Motherboard: x79 Asrock Extreme 4 (x5 sata 6.0 Gb, x2 usb 3.0 ports, PCI-e 3.0 support, and quad-channel memory)

RAM: 8 gigs (2x4 gig\'s) of 1600 DDR3

GPU: x1 Radeon 6870

PSU: 600 Watts

HDD: 500 gig\'s 7200 RPM (Seagate baracuda)

Cooling: closed loop liquid cooling, Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound, and the standard fans on the case

Optical drive: LG 12x Blu-Ray reader and DVD combo drive

Monitor: 22\" LED 1920x1080 -- ASUS VS228H-P (21.5 viewable)

Any responses or comments are welcome and Appreciated!

Solution
its normal for the keyboard led to turn off when it hangs

i have an illuminated keyboard and if it wont post properly all the keyboard backlights go out

on my pc on a normal successfull post the keyboard illuminates then goes out then illuminates again

start with the usual things

set defaults in the bios

make sure your ram is at correct timings and voltage in the bios--doesnt always get set correctly by the bios

test ram with memtest
its normal for the keyboard led to turn off when it hangs

i have an illuminated keyboard and if it wont post properly all the keyboard backlights go out

on my pc on a normal successfull post the keyboard illuminates then goes out then illuminates again

start with the usual things

set defaults in the bios

make sure your ram is at correct timings and voltage in the bios--doesnt always get set correctly by the bios

test ram with memtest

Solution

melead

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
thnx for the replies, @ahnilated: I don't really know. I mean I know how to, but the problem is that I don't know when it will decide to hang. By the time it does freeze on me, the only thing that is responsive is the Hard Reset.

@mcnumpty23: Do you think I should just clear the CMOS ? I don't know the correct timings or voltages for my Ram. (it was prebuilt by Ibuypower.com) can you offer any advice there?

I would just go into safe mode, delete the current video driver and install a different one. Just to test it out to make sure there isn't something wrong with it.

It sounds almost hardware related if it happens sometimes and then not others.