Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade to a 9800GT?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 6:46:00 PM

Hey there, Tom's!

I'm going to be taking my old xfx 9800 GT out of my secondary rig (that my friend will be buying soon), and throwing it into my mother's computer to give it a little more oomph. (She's just got a prebuilt box from costco.)

So here's my question. How much of an improvement would a 9800GTX or GT+ be from my old card? Would it be cost effective at all? I don't know old cards very much, so what's the best bang for my buck under $100.

I'd prefer XFX if possible, but that's not a huge issue. The limitations are that my psu is, I think, 500w. It also doesn't have an aux PCIe power cord, so the card has to be stand-alone.

More about : upgrade 9800gt

a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:00:45 PM

Hey there!

I might be a little confused. You want to put a 9800GTX in your current rig, or your friends rig? or your mothers pc? You seem a little behind the time on cards? Both the 9800GTX and GTX+ are old outdated cards - not worth buying at this point unless you get them for like $35-40.

In the $100 and no external power connection range I'd say your best bet is probably an AMD 7750. Here is an XFX one for $99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:10:44 PM

Don't get any 9800, something like a 7750 would be better.
m
l
Related resources
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:13:02 PM

deadlockedworld said:
Hey there!

I might be a little confused. You want to put a 9800GTX in your current rig, or your friends rig? or your mothers pc? You seem a little behind the time on cards? Both the 9800GTX and GTX+ are old outdated cards - not worth buying at this point unless you get them for like $35-40.

In the $100 and no external power connection range I'd say your best bet is probably an AMD 7750. Here is an XFX one for $99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The computer I have right now is brand new, no worries there.
My old computer, which I still have, has a 9800GT. I'm going to remove the video card from that computer and put it in my mothers. The problem is, that leaves my old computer without a video card. I'm going to sell that computer to my friend, but I need a video card to put in it.

I realize they're outdated cards (though my old card still rocks games just fine at anything but 1080p.)

My problem is that, since I don't use the old computer much, and my friend isn't a graphics whore like I am, I need a (very) cheap card I can put in it. Ideally it'd be for about $40, but I haven't been able to find one. I was going to go with a 7750, but that's a bit expensive for what I'm looking for, and I also have a feeling it'd be bottlenecked. [The rig it would go in is running a dual-core Phenom II.]
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:14:56 PM

andrewcarr said:
Don't get any 9800, something like a 7750 would be better.

Yep. I know it's a good card. It's also expensive, at least to put in a computer that I don't run much, that has a fairly wimpy CPU, and that is really only going to be used to run WoW on ultra and do some easy emulation... something the 9800 can do without blinking.

I'm basically looking for a replacement or moderate upgrade, that's cheap.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:18:38 PM

Then I'd just leave it how it is. Why does your mothers computer honestly need a GPU? Wouldn't you have to upgrade the PSU in her computer making it not worth the time or money.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:19:43 PM

DarkSable said:
Hey there, Tom's!

I'm going to be taking my old xfx 9800 GT out of my secondary rig (that my friend will be buying soon), and throwing it into my mother's computer to give it a little more oomph. (She's just got a prebuilt box from costco.)

So here's my question. How much of an improvement would a 9800GTX or GT+ be from my old card? Would it be cost effective at all? I don't know old cards very much, so what's the best bang for my buck under $100.

I'd prefer XFX if possible, but that's not a huge issue. The limitations are that my psu is, I think, 500w. It also doesn't have an aux PCIe power cord, so the card has to be stand-alone.

Why does your mother need a video card in her brand new computer? Will her mobo and power supply even support a 9800GT?

HD7750 would be the best upgrade in the $100 range.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:20:54 PM

I agree, why would she need a better GPU? If all she does is email, word and maybe some light picassa, there is no need whatsoever for a dedicated GPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:26:09 PM

The additional information helps -- we didnt know any of the PC specs since you didnt list. Also you just changed the price range from $100 to $40 ...

In this case I think you should go buy a used graphic card to put in the PC. I probably wouldnt get a 9800GTX, but I might get a used 5750, 5770, or whatever the best gaming card you can find under $50 is really.

if you were getting a new card I can revise down to the $60 6670 that would be fine for WOW, etc.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:32:55 PM

deadlockedworld said:
The additional information helps -- we didnt know any of the PC specs since you didnt list. Also you just changed the price range from $100 to $40 ...

In this case I think you should go buy a used graphic card to put in the PC. I probably wouldnt get a 9800GTX, but I might get a used 5750, 5770, or whatever the best gaming card you can find under $50 is really.

if you were getting a new card I can revise down to the $60 6670 that would be fine for WOW, etc.

Yeah, sorry about that. My first post was finished when chrome crashed, so I forgot a lot of info when I was rewriting it. (Also, sorry, I was saying she's "just got" as in "only has"; it's a couple years old, and was the cheapest she could find.)

My mother's computer will run the card just fine, and she has a need for it - she's a teacher who has a lot of badly
optimized programs, and the CPU's integrated graphics is hardly enough to play youtube videos.

I'll take a look at the 6670, and look on craigslist for a 5000 series.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:33:47 PM

the great randini said:
so if youre selling your old rig and need a card to throw in, GeForce 210 29.99

That's exactly what I'm doing. Is that card enough to max out WoW? That's the only game the buyer cares about.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:44:07 PM

DarkSable said:
That's exactly what I'm doing. Is that card enough to max out WoW? That's the only game the buyer cares about.

Definitely not. Depends on monitor resolution. If the monitor is 720p or below maybe. In big raids, etc. even some mid range cards will slow down on WOW.

There is a big different betweeen playing and maxing. Most anything can play wow. That 6670 would max it.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:46:24 PM

deadlockedworld said:
Definitely not. Depends on monitor resolution. If the monitor is 720p or below maybe. In big raids, etc. even some mid range cards will slow down on WOW.

There is a big different betweeen playing and maxing. Most anything can play wow. That 6670 would max it.

Okay, good to know. Would this card be decent? It's ddr 5, but the 128-bit memory bus worries me a little bit.
[http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:53:20 PM

Yes - the GDDR5 one is the better model. You could definitely get away with the GDDR3 if you wanted to go cheaper.

Dont worry about memory bus - the overall performance is what matters - nvidia and AMD just use different strategies to get there.

Time to break out the Tom's GPU hierarchy chart! I would find your 9800GT on this first - that should be a good reference point to work from. (As you will see the 6670 is actually pretty close to that 9800GT - just with newer technology)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 7:56:56 PM

deadlockedworld said:
Yes - the GDDR5 one is the better model. You could definitely get away with the GDDR3 if you wanted to go cheaper.

Dont worry about memory bus - the overall performance is what matters - nvidia and AMD just use different strategies to get there.

Time to break out the Tom's GPU hierarchy chart! I would find your 9800GT on this first - that should be a good reference point to work from. (As you will see the 6670 is actually pretty close to that 9800GT - just with newer technology)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Wait... it's showing the 6670, ddr5 version, as being of the same tier as a 9800GT. Per it's recommendations, wouldn't a GTX+ or 460 be better?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 8:01:03 PM

DarkSable said:
Wait... it's showing the 6670, ddr5 version, as being of the same tier as a 9800GT. Per it's recommendations, wouldn't a GTX+ or 460 be better?

Yea of course the 460 is better - its also a lot more expensive.

They havent made GTX+ cards in like 3 years. Even if you were able to find an old one, you would need a gaming-class power supply to run it. (it took a lot more energy to get the same amount of power back then)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 8:06:15 PM

His GPU is equivalent to the 6670 GDDR5 version. So why not leave that alone and get your mom that card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 8:15:20 PM

andrewcarr said:
His GPU is equivalent to the 6670 GDDR5 version. So why not leave that alone and get your mom that card.

This is an excellent point. -- Or get his mom a cheaper, non-gaming card (basically any card) for watching video and leave the 9800 GT with the older PC.
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
October 3, 2012 9:06:58 PM

Huh, okay. I appreciate y'all taking the time to talk me through it - I think I'll look on ebay and craigslist for used cards, and buy a 9800 GT if I can't find anything.
m
l
!