Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade from a Galaxy GTX 570

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2012 8:49:19 PM

Hey all, I'm looking for an upgrade for my Galaxy GTX 570 and can't decide between a couple of possibilities. I've been looking at the 660 Ti as well as the 670 but can't decide between these two (or others, I'm open to suggestions).

Current Specs
Intel i7 3.6 Ghz
16 GB ram
700W PSU
Have plenty of cooling options for the new GPU, just need to figure out which one.

Thanks for the help.

More about : upgrade galaxy gtx 570

a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 12:43:56 AM

if price is not an issue then i would get the gtx 670 for sure, i would recomend the evga ftw or superclocked, or the gigabyte gtx 670
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 12:47:23 AM

I'd recommend a Galaxy 670 strictly because of price if you must have a Nvidia card. Some of the slightly factory overclocked models can hit $340-350, only a little over the 660 Ti for considerable performance boost. The 660 Ti is a poor choice because the regular 660 is much cheaper, but extremely close in performance and some 670s are right above the 660 Ti in price with a noticeable performance increase, especially in minimum frame rates and with good MSAA. I'd prefer a Radeon 7950, but that's me and it's not like the 670 isn't a great option anyway.
a c 92 U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 1:19:55 AM

you can see that the 660 ti isn't much more powerful than a 570, If you don't need to upgrade, I would suggest waiting another generation as even a 670 isn't that much more powerful.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 1:29:34 AM

esrever said:
http://media.bestofmicro.com/T/W/352292/original/AVG%20Perf%20HIGH.png

you can see that the 660 ti isn't much more powerful than a 570, If you don't need to upgrade, I would suggest waiting another generation as even a 670 isn't that much more powerful.

The 670 is just somewhat behind GTX 570 SLI. It's about as good of a boost as throwing a second 570 in would be and is better if overclocking is considered.
a c 206 U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 5:11:22 PM

luciferano said:
The 670 is just somewhat behind GTX 570 SLI. It's about as good of a boost as throwing a second 570 in would be and is better if overclocking is considered.

It would be most appreciated if you would show me some specs on that statement... that 2 GTX 570s are only somewhat better than one GTX 670. Not that I don't believe you, but if so... I may be interested in upgrading.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 7:02:05 PM

clutchc said:
It would be most appreciated if you would show me some specs on that statement... that 2 GTX 570s are only somewhat better than one GTX 670. Not that I don't believe you, but if so... I may be interested in upgrading.

I'll look for some benchmarks to prove the point, but consider this. GTX 570 SLI and a GTX 590 are very similar in performance, correct? Not that it's absolute proof just yet, but the 590 and the 670/680 are all very similarly performing cards usually with the 590 a little ahead of the 680 and the 680 slightly ahead of the 670, at least in every comparison between them that I've seen. I've seen comparisons and I'll look for some for completeness' sake, but this alone or even paired with a much easier to find 570 SLI versus 590 comparison should be plenty of evidence.
October 4, 2012 7:49:40 PM

I've heard that SLI isn't a good choice... I may be wrong as I haven't heard that from any highly credible sources. And if I were to get the 670 over the 660 ti, what would be the price difference? And as an estimation, when would the next gen become available? It may be worth it to wait, though I do want to upgrade relatively soon.
October 4, 2012 7:51:28 PM

Also, I'm not very interested in any form of overclocking, including factory overclocking. That may just be me being superstitious of it, but I don't feel comfortable with overclocked equipment.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 7:53:37 PM

tacobananaman said:
I've heard that SLI isn't a good choice... I may be wrong as I haven't heard that from any highly credible sources. And if I were to get the 670 over the 660 ti, what would be the price difference? And as an estimation, when would the next gen become available? It may be worth it to wait, though I do want to upgrade relatively soon.

AMD might have next gen cards by the end of the year, but Nvidia is quite a ways off. They probably won't be around until the end of Q1 2013 or around 2Q 2013.

The 660 Ti is a waste of money. The GTX 670 can be found only 20-40% more expensive while offering a comparable sustained performance advantage and a greater difference in minimum frame rates and MSAA/CSAA scaling (two of the 660 Ti's weakest points). The GTX 660 is far cheaper than the 660 Ti, yet has comparable performance.

SLI isn't necessarily bad. It depends on the situation.
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 7:56:06 PM

tacobananaman said:
Also, I'm not very interested in any form of overclocking, including factory overclocking. That may just be me being superstitious of it, but I don't feel comfortable with overclocked equipment.

That's kinda unreasonable, at least for factory overclocking. Try defining overclocking and maybe you'll see why.

Factory overclocks are covered by warranties anyway, so in the extremely unlikely situation where they'd cause a problem, you can RMA and get a working model in the mail.
a c 206 U Graphics card
October 4, 2012 8:42:29 PM

Think of factory O/C chips this way; GPUs, just like CPUs, are designed to work at rated specs including maximum rated frequency with 100% reliability. Those that have to be backed off a tad in some of their specs to obtain that 100% are designated as a lower level GPU within that family. The batch that can exceed those rated specs and still be 100% reliable, are then sometimes marketed as O/C versions.

Of course, nothing is truley 100% reliable (except death and taxes). But you get my point.
October 9, 2012 8:56:35 PM

Well. At this point I'm deciding between bridging another 570 or waiting a little bit and replacing my 570 with the 670. I think the 660 Ti is out of the question now.
a c 206 U Graphics card
October 9, 2012 9:11:54 PM

I have 2 x 570s and have not experienced any micro-stutter if that's what you are worried about. I used to have 2 x HD 6850s that exhibited M-S, so I know what it is. Your choice will depend on how much you are willing to spend and what you will be displaying/gaming on. Mine are more than I need for any game today at 1920x1080. If you do multiple hi-rez monitor gaming, you may want to move up to a GTX 670 (or two). But if you use one monitor, you won't see any improvement you can detect.
!