USB does not work on XP PRO on dell inspiron 5100

I have a Dell inspiron 5100 2.66GHz P4, 512mb ram, 60GB
hdd, 2 usb 2.0 ports. The problem is that if a USB device
is connected to the computer while it is running it will
not be recognized at all. Restarting the comp allows SOME
devices to work such as a "memory key" and devices that
were installed before the problem arose. I would like to
know if there is some BIOS or windows setting or driver
that needs to be changed. Thanks

First of all you must make sure you have the drivers installed BEFORE
connecting the device.

You should also ensure that your PC is not set to turn off power to the USB
Controllers to save power... (Device Manager, scroll down to USB
Controllers, right click, select Properties, check the Power Management tab
in each USB root hub in turn.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

<website567@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I have a Dell inspiron 5100 2.66GHz P4, 512mb ram, 60GB
> hdd, 2 usb 2.0 ports. The problem is that if a USB device
> is connected to the computer while it is running it will
> not be recognized at all. Restarting the comp allows SOME
> devices to work such as a "memory key" and devices that
> were installed before the problem arose. I would like to
> know if there is some BIOS or windows setting or driver
> that needs to be changed. Thanks

I stopped windows from turning off the USB root hubs to
save power, but this made no difference at all. Is there
something else i should do? Thanks

Did you ever resolve this problem? I'm having the exact same problem
with my Inspiron 5100.

wrote:
> *I have a Dell inspiron 5100 2.66GHz P4, 512mb ram, 60GB
> hdd, 2 usb 2.0 ports. The problem is that if a USB device
> is connected to the computer while it is running it will
> not be recognized at all. Restarting the comp allows SOME
> devices to work such as a "memory key" and devices that
> were installed before the problem arose. I would like to
> know if there is some BIOS or windows setting or driver
> that needs to be changed. Thanks *

--
sniedzwi

Sh0rthand

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
Fixed it!!! Had this same problem with a laptop that was just given to me a couple of days ago. (I know, I know. It's an old system but I couldn't beat the price.) Loaded all available drivers from Dell but still only had an unknown USB hub listed in Device Manager.

I decided to try the option to check the Internet to find the correct drivers. I had little hope in this working as I'd tried it many, many times before & it's NEVER worked. But this time... IT WORKED!!! It recognized it as an 'Intel 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Host Controller' with the associated USB Root Hubs and recognizes anything plugged into it.

I know this is is an old thread but maybe someone will find it helpful.

Later!
Sh0rthand

dheck1961

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

Thanks!! I almost never check that option, but in this case it fixed both the USB AND Modem drivers on an older 5100.

Dave