LiteON IHBS112-04 Blu Ray player that wont detect Blu Rays on Windows XP in HTP

atrain0007

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hi there. Just picked up my LiteOn IHBS112-04 OEM Blur-ray drive and its playing cd's and DVD's without any problems but it is not able to detect Blu-rays that I put in it. I understand that my machine (XP - Service Pack 3) wont natively support Blu-Rays since Blu Rays use a newer UDF (version 2.5 I think), but I've tried to install the UDF upgrade that's floating around the web and still had no luck. The Firmware on the drive is up to date (to PL06 using the smart pack from LiteOn) and I dont know what else to do from here.
Is there a way to check that the UDF actually got updated in my XP installation? An interesting thing is that after I first tried to update and rebooted, I was able to explore the BluRay movie I had in there once, and then it went back to not knowing there was a disc in there at all. FYI - I'm testing using a LOTR BluRay, so I think we can eliminate funny media issues.

atrain0007

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

I know that playing the disc would require some blu-ray software, but you're saying I need software for the drive to even detect a disc is in it? I have VLC media player that is supposed to play blu-rays and I was unable to browse to the blu-ray drive through that... Does that make sense?

atrain0007

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Wolfshadw -

Thanks for the help. You got me digging into VLC and I found the tweak to get VLC playing my disc... In case anyone else stumbles across this. My solution to get VLC playing blu rays was: http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/