luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
What operating system are you using?

AMD's web site should have any usable drivers for your card. If there aren't any, then chance re that you can't get drivers for that card. It is very old, so this is possible if you don't use Windows XP.

EthanDaniels

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
I'm using XP, and I think I did find the right drivers. The problem is, every time I try to install it, my system won't boot. I have to go into safe mode and restore my machine back to the way it was before I installed the drivers..

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Maybe you're installing them wrong (it's not always as simple as a lot of people expect it to be). Try installing a program called Driver fusion. Boot into safe mode and use it to delete all graphical drivers components from AMD, Intel, and Nvidia. Restart and use it again to verify that it worked. Then reboot again and try installing this driver:

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/10-2_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc.exe

EthanDaniels

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Ok. I've been trying to download Fusion, but I need another program called microsoft .net framework. I found and downloaded it. But for it to run, I need yet another program. Windows imaging component. I found WIP and downloaded it. But when I try to run it, it gives me a weird pop up titled: " ????????????????????WIP???????"
and saying "???????????????????windows xp???????????????????????"

What does that mean and how do i fix it?

EthanDaniels

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Hmm. Ok, thanks. To the internets shall I go! xP

Edit: Hmm.. While Microsoft's official download page didn't work, Cnet's copy seems to run without a hitch. Weird, but ok.

EthanDaniels

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
I think I followed your instructions correctly, but I still got a 'this software hasn't passed the windows logo test' message while trying to install. I clicked 'install anyways', and nothing changed. I still had to revert my system to let it boot..

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Maybe Driver Fusion only works on Windows Vista/7/8 based systems. Try Driver Sweeper instead of Driver Fusion, it's an older version.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Driver Sweeper should be compatible with XP, apparently unlike Driver Fusion, because Driver Sweeper is older than Vista IIRC. That's how it might help.

suat

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
If you are trying to install a recent AMD graphics driver, that does not work for your card because your card is too old, as Luciferano already advised.

You should look for an older driver. Look into " http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/previous/Pages/radeonaiw_xp.aspx " and go deep down the list. Before you download and install, try to find and read the release notes to see if your card is listed as compatible. Find a driver version closest to your current video drivers from up the list.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Like I said, it's a lot older than fusion, hence I thought it should work. I'll see if I can find you a download link for Sweeper if you need one.

EthanDaniels

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Nevermind. I went throught the Readme file, and it said to use the admin account. I tried the hidden Administrator, and I couldn't find it there. I then swapped to my default account and it was right where i left it.

EthanDaniels

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
Ok, done. Now I've taken the driver and tried to install it. It seemed to work and there were no incompatibility messages. So i restarted my system, It starts to boot. But a message on my screen pops up, and says:

Input signal out of range

Power management 20 sec.

The timer starts counting down, but within five second the screen flashes and displays the same message, though the timer is reset. Then, the screen flashes with the Gateway logo a few times, and give me the safe mode option screen..

Edit: I've tried lowering the resolution in safe mode to no avail.