Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Got a new 7850, seems to run hot?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2012 1:41:32 AM

HIS IceQ X H785QN2G2M Radeon HD 7850 2GB is the card I just got today, but it seems to run a bit, hot I believe.

Currently it is idling at 35C. On full load though, it goes as high as 103C, which I'm almost certain is a bit too high.

Any suggestions as to what to do? I tried replacing thermal paste, and it didn't seem to have any effect (but to be fair, I didn't really give it any time to cure). Also it "might" be possible I put too much on, but I don't quite know...

I'm also on Windows 8, and using AMD's 12.9 Beta drivers. I cleaned the older drivers from my system prior to this, but perhaps there is some other issue going on, maybe some old file conflict or something. In any case, I may consider going back to Windows 7, and trying HIS's drivers if it would help.

More about : 7850 run hot

October 4, 2012 1:50:27 AM

How fast do the fans spin up to under load? You can check CCC for that.
m
l
a b \ Driver
October 4, 2012 1:53:54 AM

What is the air flow like thru your case? Maybe a side panel fan would help.
m
l
Related resources
October 4, 2012 1:55:09 AM

Either is it a faulty temperature sensor, or there is a problem with the fans or the heatsink/chip contact points.

When did it start to overheat? Did you get it like that? Or it was after applying custom thermal paste?
When you apply thermal paste, be sure to apply a little dot not bigger than 1/3 of the chip itself.

I have myself a HD 7770, and it definitively won't heat up as far as 103C... :o 
It goes usually at around 63C under load after 10 mins.

Also, what program are you using for checking those temperatures?

-Hope it helps! ,
Bloc97 :) 
m
l
October 4, 2012 2:10:41 AM

- Case is open, both sides actually atm
- I'm using MSI Afterburner to measure temps
- I just got the card today, and it's been showing high temps right out of the box, and with the new thermal paste
- Fan's ramp up to highest relatively quickly (not sure on exact time, but maybe as soon as I start a game, the fan goes right up quickly)

I do have a sound card right below the GPU which may also be a cause, but I don't know for sure. From my understanding, I thought air would basically be pushed towards the back of the GPU, and out of the case.
m
l

Best solution

October 4, 2012 2:16:05 AM

Can you touch the heatsink? (Or at least a part of it.)

If when the temp sensor indicates a high temperature, and the heatsink is cold, it could be two possibilities :

Broken temp sensor ;
or a Bad Thermal Paste/Bad Contact

-Bloc97
October 4, 2012 2:20:45 AM

I would RMA and try another one.
m
l
October 4, 2012 2:40:01 AM

I re-applied thermal paste again and it does seem a tad bit better. I don't instantly spike up to 100C, but temps still creep up there (running Kombustor currently and I'm at 101C after a few minutes).

I probably should RMA

Edit: The fans don't kick up to 100% until about 90C (seems like 93C or 94C actually). To any 7850 owners, do you happen to know when your fans ramp up to 100%?
m
l
October 4, 2012 3:39:50 AM

Err, don't use kombustor to test your GPU, you should probably test in a game. That is a more realistic scenario, I personally can say with Kombustor I hit 80 degrees celcius, without kombustor I rarely go past 60 degrees. Kombustor is mainly to test your overclocks by testing all components, which is why it heats up a lot more than a standard game.
m
l
October 4, 2012 3:46:03 AM

JJ1217 said:
Err, don't use kombustor to test your GPU, you should probably test in a game. That is a more realistic scenario, I personally can say with Kombustor I hit 80 degrees celcius, without kombustor I rarely go past 60 degrees. Kombustor is mainly to test your overclocks by testing all components, which is why it heats up a lot more than a standard game.

I just got out of GTA IV and it was around 101C :/ 
m
l
October 4, 2012 10:44:52 AM

:/ , its DEFINITELY NOT NORMAL, if kombustor temps are lower than game temps. check if both fans are working, and touch the metal heat pipe.
m
l
October 4, 2012 11:11:06 AM

JJ1217 said:
:/, its DEFINITELY NOT NORMAL, if kombustor temps are lower than game temps. check if both fans are working, and touch the metal heat pipe.

The metal heat pipes get a bit warm, but nothing too hot. The back side of the GPU though gets pretty hot, too hot to touch after a while.
m
l
October 4, 2012 12:27:24 PM

Hmm, maybe its possible that its actually parts of the card thermal strips might of not been applied correctly, and if the metal pipes aren't anywhere near 60 degrees, might indicate a broken motherboard sensor. Trust me, if it was actually 100 degrees, you would recoil as soon as you touched it. I recommend RMAing your card first, and if there is still issues, maybe then RMA your motherboard.
m
l
October 4, 2012 12:30:29 PM

Espionage724 said:
The metal heat pipes get a bit warm, but nothing too hot. The back side of the GPU though gets pretty hot, too hot to touch after a while.

These 78xx series cards are really very very faulty one..irrespective of brand (HIS is main Culprit)
not even a single person i found who is satisfied with new range of card one or other problem is there..
i also got my new card same as yours giving display artifact from day 1 ..already RMA once and they sent me same card telling its fine and now again i had RMA my card (with video showing proof of my problem )waiting for there reply .. :bounce:  :bounce: 

if possible switch to 6xxx series or get Nvidia one...

follow my post

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/372341-33-hd7850-havi...
m
l
October 4, 2012 12:43:09 PM

What are you talking about rofl? I love my 7850, its a beast of an overclocker. I prefer AMD over Nvidia for personal reasons, not going to go to war with Nvidia fanboys, too tired for that.

Lets just say my card is clocked at 1400 Mhz Core, and 1500 Mhz Mem, which soars past a 660ti. And I bought my card for $240. It bites the heels of a 670.

OP, don't trust this guy, he has no idea what he is talking about. Technology always have a chance to fail, and chances are its just your motherboard sensors.
m
l
October 4, 2012 12:56:55 PM

JJ1217 said:
What are you talking about rofl? I love my 7850, its a beast of an overclocker. I prefer AMD over Nvidia for personal reasons, not going to go to war with Nvidia fanboys, too tired for that.

Lets just say my card is clocked at 1400 Mhz Core, and 1500 Mhz Mem, which soars past a 660ti. And I bought my card for $240. It bites the heels of a 670.

OP, don't trust this guy, he has no idea what he is talking about. Technology always have a chance to fail, and chances are its just your motherboard sensors.

I have bought mine with keeping all the overcloack possibilities in mind..and i am using AMd card since last 5 years...just upgraded my previous 5770..never had a single problem with that..now what will you say
m
l
October 4, 2012 1:05:49 PM

You complain about HIS, just because that brand is the one you bought and the card you went kablooie. I am helping you out solving your issue on another thread, and here you are saying that everyone who has a HD7000's series card is not happy with it. Considering the 7850 was considered to be the best bang for your buck two months back.

You were just unlucky, and you make it seem as if AMD cards are the worst in the world. Thats what I have to say to that. You are lucky I am still helping you out on your other thread, because thats what T.H forumers have to do.
m
l
October 4, 2012 1:14:35 PM

JJ1217 said:
You complain about HIS, just because that brand is the one you bought and the card you went kablooie. I am helping you out solving your issue on another thread, and here you are saying that everyone who has a HD7000's series card is not happy with it. Considering the 7850 was considered to be the best bang for your buck two months back.

You were just unlucky, and you make it seem as if AMD cards are the worst in the world. Thats what I have to say to that. You are lucky I am still helping you out on your other thread, because thats what T.H forumers have to do.

i am telling you this things based on my experience on TM forum only if you don't believe then follow this thread...yes i am frustrating cause when i bought my card i was soo happy and now i am just waiting for the reply of THE indeed bad costumer service of HIS..
follow this
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
m
l
October 4, 2012 1:19:09 PM

I'd rather not go 6k series, or use Nvidia :) 

I don't know if it's a faulty sensor or not exactly, I mean idle temps seem to be alright (30C with airconditioner on, 40C at room temp), but games just push it all the way to 100C ish, and around there I believe my GPU downclocks itself to lower temps. At 107C, my computer seems to shut down, but so far I've only been able to hit those temps when my heater was running in my room (the GPU downclock is usually quick to bring temps back around 90C)

It still may be possible I'm not applying thermal paste correctly, but I don't know. I cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol and coffee filters, put a dab right in the center of the chip (maybe the size of 1 1/2 rice grains), put the heatsink on the chip, twisted it around a bit to try to make it spread, and then screwed it back together.
m
l
October 4, 2012 1:20:18 PM

Those stripes happen to me all the time. But only when I overclock too far. Typically they can be solved by upping the voltage a little bit to help support the overclocks.
m
l
October 4, 2012 1:22:46 PM

PSU's can sometimes cause heating issues by not supplying very good power. When you apply thermal paste, I prefer to make an x shape, and then let the heatsink spread itself. However your way seems fine. 1 and 1/2 rice grains seem a little bit too little however its not enough to cause extremely high temperatures. Are you sure your fans are actually operating?
m
l
October 4, 2012 1:26:39 PM

i have XFX 7850 double D with dual fans and it runs about 35C no issues so far
m
l
October 4, 2012 1:27:14 PM

JJ1217 said:
PSU's can sometimes cause heating issues by not supplying very good power. When you apply thermal paste, I prefer to make an x shape, and then let the heatsink spread itself. However your way seems fine. 1 and 1/2 rice grains seem a little bit too little however its not enough to cause extremely high temperatures. Are you sure your fans are actually operating?

Yep, quite noticeably loudly as well on 100% too, and I can manually adjust fan speed just fine. I'll probably give reseating another go here in a bit and see if it would help.
m
l
October 4, 2012 2:01:42 PM

Hmm, so I applied more thermal paste on top of the thermal paste that was already on the chip (seems there really was too little) and temps seem, a great deal better. Kombustor after a few mins creeps slowly to 80C though (may of kept climbing if I left it on), but playing Black Ops doesn't seem to make temps go past 70C.
m
l
October 4, 2012 2:07:10 PM

Thats very good! Just shows how something overlooked can make a massive difference. 70 degrees is fine for a card underload. Glad you got some results. 80 degrees is fine in Kombustor, my Haf X never goes past 76 degrees, and thats supposed to be the best at air cooling (It beats 86 degrees before I bought a new case).
m
l
October 4, 2012 6:38:37 PM

Hmm, so I thought I would try to make the temps even better by pressing the heatsink against the chip a bit more and twisting it a tiny bit, but that actually made temps worse (back to 100C+ on load)...

It would seem that the GPU and heatsink aren't actually totally connected to each other with a strong bond; it looks like the screw actually leave a tiny enough space, and the springs are the things that lift the screw up a bit to keep the GPU and heatsink in contact.
m
l
October 4, 2012 6:47:47 PM

dude just RMA and get different one once you do more on the card and it could damage more
m
l
October 4, 2012 7:33:20 PM

wake4x4ptball said:
dude just RMA and get different one once you do more on the card and it could damage more

Yea you got a point there; I already put in the RMA request and I'm still scheduled to ship it off tomorrow.
m
l
October 4, 2012 9:42:41 PM

So... I still haven't lost the will to make this card work...

As it turns out, I have a SATA port on the motherboard that is pressing up the heatsink on the GPU a very slight amount (1mm maybe? it's very insignificant).

Leaving the GPU in that condition, benchmarks go up to 100C as normal, but, if I press on the other side of the GPU a tiny bit with my finger, temps instantly drop to 60-70C, during Kombuster.

So in theory, if I use a different set of SATA ports on my motherboard, that stress on the heatsink won't exist, and thus, no cooling issue.
m
l
October 4, 2012 10:15:18 PM

There is a few inaccuracies when you tried that out. Like how you didn't consider, maybe the heat routed through your finger when you touched it, giving you incorrect results. I would just recommend to RMA the card, get another one, try it out again and see how it goes.
m
l
October 5, 2012 12:02:06 AM

Espionage724 said:
So... I still haven't lost the will to make this card work...

Haha... You're just like me... I hate giving up when something doesn't work, especially when its a easy issue. :na: 

Espionage724 said:
[...] but, if I press on the other side of the GPU a tiny bit with my finger, temps instantly drop to 60-70C, during Kombuster.

In theory this shouldn't happen if the screws are very tight, since it would be almost like if the heatsink was welded to the PCB.
The screws on my old graphic card was so tight that I used a wrench at the end to finally unscrew it.

Maybe you just had a card that wasn't screwed well. Try to tighten it, but not too much! You could crack the PCB.

-Bloc97
m
l
October 8, 2012 12:17:42 AM

JJ1217 said:
There is a few inaccuracies when you tried that out. Like how you didn't consider, maybe the heat routed through your finger when you touched it, giving you incorrect results. I would just recommend to RMA the card, get another one, try it out again and see how it goes.

I was pressing on the plastic part of the cooler. If I don't do this, the heatpipes are cold, and temps on the GPU are high. Pressing on that part of the cooler however drops GPU temps, and makes the heatpipes hot (as intended).

bloc97 said:
Haha... You're just like me... I hate giving up when something doesn't work, especially when its a easy issue. :na: 

In theory this shouldn't happen if the screws are very tight, since it would be almost like if the heatsink was welded to the PCB.
The screws on my old graphic card was so tight that I used a wrench at the end to finally unscrew it.

Maybe you just had a card that wasn't screwed well. Try to tighten it, but not too much! You could crack the PCB.

-Bloc97

The screws are as tight as they can be, but I notice that I can still actually move the heatsink and the GPU a tiny bit still, and the springs still have room to compress as well (barely though).

I'm thinking if the screws were just a little bit smaller, this problem might be fixed. I also had an idea to somehow make the spring area on the screw possibly.. more I guess, so that the spring has no room at all to compress, and thus the GPU and heatsink won't seperate.

I also wonder if there is a backplate-like thing that might exist for GPU's? Like with my Hyper 212 for example, it has that "X" backplate thing that goes on the back of the board, and then the heatsink hooks through the motherboard, onto that backplate, creating a tight bond.
m
l
October 8, 2012 12:25:07 AM

It looks like the fan shroud and the gpu aren't properly connected, seeing as when you touched it, it probably got closer to the GPU. See if you can reconnect the shroud again, it'll waste some thermal paste, but might fix your issue.

I thought you said the temps went down when you reapplied thermal paste?
m
l
October 8, 2012 12:32:20 AM

JJ1217 said:
It looks like the fan shroud and the gpu aren't properly connected, seeing as when you touched it, it probably got closer to the GPU. See if you can reconnect the shroud again, it'll waste some thermal paste, but might fix your issue.

I thought you said the temps went down when you reapplied thermal paste?

Hmm, well the fan and heatsink are together, in a plastic casing, and that itself contacts with the GPU, via the copper block that goes over the chip, and then the 4 screws on the back hold both units together. I'm a bit confused on what you mean exactly though; should I reconnect the fan and heatsink together and then put it back on my GPU, or just reseat the GPU and heatsink with thermal paste again?

As for the temps going down when I reapplied thermal paste, I actually don't quite understand why; but it seems the GPU and heatsink had perfect contact during that time maybe, although I don't know why.
m
l
October 8, 2012 1:33:44 AM

Reseat the GPU and heatsink together.

What, did the temps suddenly go back up again?
m
l
October 8, 2012 2:06:13 AM

JJ1217 said:
Reseat the GPU and heatsink together.

What, did the temps suddenly go back up again?

Just reseated them again, same effect (temps shot up when there was nothing pressing on that side of the GPU, but stays cool when something is pressing on that side).

I've been using the card for a few days now with something just pressing against the card in my case, but just decided to have another go at trying to fix it. I even tried using tiny plastic washers to help close the small gap the springs left still, and this had no effect (may of even had a worse effect; GPU overheated before Windows could even boot all the way...)

I sent a support ticket to HIS on day one since I got this GPU, and still haven't gotten a response from them... I honestly think I should just refund this card and go with another vendor at this point just to be safe. I don't know if I want to be without a decent GPU for about a week though...

When/if I do decide to refund the card, I was considering getting a SAPPHIRE 100355OCL Radeon HD 7850 2GB as a replacement. Didn't have any real hardware issues with my old Sapphire GPU, but I don't know how their tech support is really (I would hope it's better then HIS's at this point though).
m
l
October 8, 2012 2:10:08 AM

Yeah, HIS don't have the best RMA service, if anything they are the worst.

The card you are considering is the card I currently have, its a great card, although it gets a little bit loud when fans are past 40%, however if you let it do it by itself it rarely goes past 40% fan speed.

I love my Sapphire Card, and their Vapor-X coolers are on par with the DCII

Although the card you are considering doesn't use Vapor-X it is a solid cooler
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:29:28 AM

Espionage724 said:
Just reseated them again, same effect (temps shot up when there was nothing pressing on that side of the GPU, but stays cool when something is pressing on that side).

I've been using the card for a few days now with something just pressing against the card in my case, but just decided to have another go at trying to fix it. I even tried using tiny plastic washers to help close the small gap the springs left still, and this had no effect (may of even had a worse effect; GPU overheated before Windows could even boot all the way...)

I sent a support ticket to HIS on day one since I got this GPU, and still haven't gotten a response from them... I honestly think I should just refund this card and go with another vendor at this point just to be safe. I don't know if I want to be without a decent GPU for about a week though...

When/if I do decide to refund the card, I was considering getting a SAPPHIRE 100355OCL Radeon HD 7850 2GB as a replacement. Didn't have any real hardware issues with my old Sapphire GPU, but I don't know how their tech support is really (I would hope it's better then HIS's at this point though).

yup way to go...i had returned my same HIS card ..(giving me display problem since i bought it) and asked for refund..they are ready to do so..and i have ordered the sapphire 7850....waiting for it desperately.......
m
l
October 8, 2012 5:56:41 AM

JJ1217 said:
Yeah, HIS don't have the best RMA service, if anything they are the worst.

The card you are considering is the card I currently have, its a great card, although it gets a little bit loud when fans are past 40%, however if you let it do it by itself it rarely goes past 40% fan speed.

I love my Sapphire Card, and their Vapor-X coolers are on par with the DCII

Although the card you are considering doesn't use Vapor-X it is a solid cooler

Can your card use PowerTune? I've heard reports that it couldn't
m
l
October 8, 2012 6:54:03 AM

I don't know what it is, but if you mean Overdrive then it can.
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:01:37 AM

I know this is off topic but Do you get any issues with 7850 when ctrl+alt+del. The animation seems to show black squares on the screen? Mine does and I don't know if its faulty or not.
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:08:04 AM

JJ1217 said:
I don't know what it is, but if you mean Overdrive then it can.

I might of had the term confused, but I meant if you were able to set a Power Limit or not. Overdrive, Afterburner, and I imagine Trixx on Sapphire would give you an option for it:

FrankFisher said:
I know this is off topic but Do you get any issues with 7850 when ctrl+alt+del. The animation seems to show black squares on the screen? Mine does and I don't know if its faulty or not.

Na I have no issues with ctrl+alt+del; I'm using AMD's 12.9 Beta drivers also
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:51:03 AM

I can do it in Afterburner and in CCC. So it does work ;) 
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:54:00 AM

Espionage724 said:
I might of had the term confused, but I meant if you were able to set a Power Limit or not. Overdrive, Afterburner, and I imagine Trixx on Sapphire would give you an option for it:

http://puu.sh/1cBd8.jpg

Na I have no issues with ctrl+alt+del; I'm using AMD's 12.9 Beta drivers also

12.9 Beta Drivers are very glitchy from what I have heard -- Quite a few people are having issues. Downgrade to 12.8.
m
l
October 8, 2012 2:18:09 PM

JJ1217 said:
I can do it in Afterburner and in CCC. So it does work ;) 

Awesome :) 

Also HIS finally responded to my ticket... asked what my temperatures and fan speed was currently (can't see how this really helps anything though). I had to message them over Facebook to look at my ticket.

Also I took a picture of the thing I'm using to hold the GPU up in my case and sent it to HIS, but if anyone was curious, here it is:

Basically a folded piece of paper at the bottom of my case, followed by a rubber stopper-like thing pressing the GPU upward.
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:21:02 PM

HAHA! Clever! That made me laugh. Listen, I never actually saw a picture of your GPU, but thats not alot of air flow. Due to convection, the heat from your fan is hitting the metal, warming up the metal around it, and then warm air is going BACK into the GPU. That is probably your main culprit affecting the main temps. The reasons my temps were different, were because the expansion slots were higher up, and my motherboard was higher. So, although 100 degrees isn't normal, you should expect higher temperatures, as there is no "fresh" air going in to the GPU.
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:34:41 PM

JJ1217 said:
HAHA! Clever! That made me laugh. Listen, I never actually saw a picture of your GPU, but thats not alot of air flow. Due to convection, the heat from your fan is hitting the metal, warming up the metal around it, and then warm air is going BACK into the GPU. That is probably your main culprit affecting the main temps. The reasons my temps were different, were because the expansion slots were higher up, and my motherboard was higher. So, although 100 degrees isn't normal, you should expect higher temperatures, as there is no "fresh" air going in to the GPU.

Yea that makes sense. I hear people usually hitting around 50-60C on load with the 7850, but I tend to be in the 60's and very low 70's at times, depending on whether or not I have the heater on or not.

The side of my case is left open at the moment however to try to help with airflow; at some point I plan to get 2 120mm fans and put one on the front of my case (currently only has a 80mm) and another on the CPU cooler.

Was playing BF3 for a few hours last night and the highest I think I saw the temps was 68C.
m
l
October 8, 2012 7:44:53 PM

Yeah, that is a little bit higher than what I got in my old chinese crappy crapbox. I got 64 in battlefield 3 with my old case, with my haf X I get like 55.
m
l
October 15, 2012 12:11:45 AM

Best answer selected by Espionage724.
m
l
!