Sign in with
Your question

Opinions? Budget gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2012 9:11:24 PM

Hey all,

This here is my very first gaming build, which I put together back in June 2012, just thought I'd share it. Got so tied up and busy with it I completely forgot to post it online. Budget gaming PC.

I understand the guts are not so pretty, I think its bleghh myself... full ATX board was way out of budget in my part of the world, but the important part is I'm able to run my games very nicely with this :D  Latest drivers installed, all games run swell! I had been thinking of upping the RAM to 8GB by simply adding in another 4GB of the same RAM (board supports dual channel), that is what reminded me that I never posted the build here!

Please let me know what you think. Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

System specs:

i3 2100 3.1Ghz
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3V mATX
Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
1x4GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM Kingston
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200rpm
LiteOn DVD/RW
Corsair CX500 500W 80+ power supply
Thermaltake V3 Black Edition case

The SoundBlaster sound card is from my previous computer.

Some of my latest pictures, cable management and stuff:

Oh and this:

More about : opinions budget gaming

a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
November 26, 2012 9:49:50 PM

If you would like, you can post this to the Tom's Hardware Member's gallery. Your build looks pretty darn good. Nice job on the cable management.

I have a M-ATX board too :) 
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:08:03 PM

Deemo13 said:
If you would like, you can post this to the Tom's Hardware Member's gallery. Your build looks pretty darn good. Nice job on the cable management.

I have a M-ATX board too :) 

Hey thanks for the feedback! Ah there's a Member's gallery? Great alright, did a search and found the thread. Thanks for that!
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2012 10:11:11 PM

Wow, your cable management compard to mine is out of this world, mine has to be stuffed in then quickly shut the lid in a way that the lid fans don't touch the wires (by lid I mean side of the case). And I have an i7 with a 7950 and 16GB ram, which is just sad because the inside looks like complete *** while you got cheaper parts and it looks baller
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:33:29 PM

StrangeInstance said:
Wow, your cable management compard to mine is out of this world, mine has to be stuffed in then quickly shut the lid in a way that the lid fans don't touch the wires (by lid I mean side of the case). And I have an i7 with a 7950 and 16GB ram, which is just sad because the inside looks like complete *** while you got cheaper parts and it looks baller

Hehe thanks, yeah I really took my time to plan out the cable management. I'd carry out one plan and think "hmmm ok that looks nice, what else can we improve on?"

I eventually flipped the hard-drive backwards so the cables are completely out of the way, random idea I picked up off the internet haha! Then I routed the 4-pin power connector's cord in the gap between the 6850 and the motherboard. The front panel cables looked like a mess, so I tied them up in 1 bundle with black wire-tape, only left it a bit exposed close to the board so as not to stretch too much. Excess cables tied up, bundled, and positioned behind drive-cage.

To sum it up, the cable-management was a constant work in progress. I believe I'm satisfied enough now with the way it is :)  Do take care of your system, have some "alone time" with it haha, give it some love and it will love you back!

I recently prepared my own DIY "dust filters", so to speak, as the case didn't have any except on the front panel and the PSU area. Car side-window shades cut to size :lol:  Mounted with double-sided tape. They do a good job at keeping the dust out, but system temperature has risen slightly. Might get a couple of fans to help.

The only gripe I have? Well I think the mATX board looks a bit silly in there LOL :D  But then again, I'm looking at the screen all the time, playing games, not staring constantly at the guts of my machine.

Ok I should shut up now and stop blabbering... I could go on for much longer haha!
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:36:42 PM

:p  xD I am going to post my pics when I put the last peices in, currently there are 2 fans on top of the case, 1 on back, and 1 on bottom 9the one on bottom blows air downwords, its a fan inside a PSU), then I have a turbo 240 MM fan for the side of the case, which is the window part, its got green LEDs, its the Trooper-X case. I used to have an i3, honestly I hated its cuts, but its probly because I starved it with no graphics card (no budget D:)  and only 4GB ram. nice build yourself though, the graphics card is pretty good
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:46:44 PM

The Intel HD graphics 2000 that came with the CPU was actually a big upgrade for me! :p  I used it for 2 weeks until I finally received my ordered Sapphire 6850. In contrast, here is my previous desktop, family computer. AMD K6/2 CPU from the 90's!

m
l
November 26, 2012 10:54:16 PM

LOL YOU .. Lol you should see the 2001 PC I took apart over the weekend, on another note, anyone want a 160GB IDE or w/e it is drive? xD $25 and its yours.

haha anyways, yeah mine wasnt touched for 5 years, and the other 5 it was not opened. When I opened it up it had more dust then anything else (you think I`m kidding but I`m not, you can't even see the components, its covered in like 5CM of dust) and it was ickly, It had a pentinum CPU with a G400 or something gfx chip, and 1GB DDR 1 or 2 memory, haha
m
l
November 26, 2012 10:57:48 PM

Oh, forgot to tell you my opinion ^_^ I think you should get another stick of ram if its not a haste, now I know this coming from a noob who has 16GB of ram and doesn't know how to manage his wires doesn't sound so nice, but I had issues running combat arms and youtube in google chrome open without getting some serius CPU usage, so I would get at LEAST 6GB so you have to spare space, and your CPU doesn't waste energy asking your HDD for info :p 
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:08:59 PM

Haha well sure I do plan to put in an extra 4GB, RAM is cheap! I just want to make sure the stores around here cater the same model I'm using... if not... well what do you suggest?

Might be 2 or 3 days till I go and have a look. Busy at college, no car, not close, freezing weather xD But I'll get it done.

Jordan is a really miserable place for techie stuff, folks here still living in the Pentium 4 and Core 2 Duo era! Not to mention ridiculously over-priced parts! Its a good thing I put my system together in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, while I was still living there, where the parts are much cheaper... $110 for the i3-2100 xD It was $125 on Newegg at the time!
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:17:34 PM

Ooh, well I would reccomend Patriot Viper, it has great cooling and I use 16GB atm, its sturdy and looks nice too, its a black shade. I got my 16GB for like 60 or 70, it wasn't that expensive. But I would just get 8GB if I was you, :p  the i3 using 16GB is unlikely, haha.
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:18:23 PM

Oh and by the way, some fucktard just ruined bidding on ebay for me D: the item was going for 460 then he started bidding on it at the last 2 hours and it went up to 285, thus making ebay useless now, I was gonna freaking snipe the item for 465!
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:22:38 PM

wait, if he doesn't bid again, I can save $10 and get it.. but meh thats poopy, BUTT... haha I could downgrade.. my other parts, such as the mouse/keyboard... xD take a look yourself at the parts I`m getting. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pFSP
m
l
November 27, 2012 5:33:05 AM

I know that feeling when that item you've really wanted just gets snagged away from you :p 

Tell you what, I'm thinking of doing a little upgrade when Haswell comes out, sell the i3-2100 and mATX board, and going for a full ATX and i5 equivalent Haswell CPU... or is that going overboard? Is Haswell a worthy upgrade over my current setup?

I'm disappointed to hear that, possibly, the successor to Haswell, Broadwell, will feature CPUs soldered onto the motherboard... I just don't like that.
m
l
November 28, 2012 12:05:17 AM

I wouldn't buy a full ATX, I have mini ATX atm and its great for me, just don't get the H61M DGS if you plan to OC :p  I think I won't be OC any time soon.
m
l
November 28, 2012 12:08:36 AM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pSDP

Gonna get this, I realized its only like $10 or so over-budget, which is reasonable, by the way I`m only 15, and I sold my old pc, my ps3, all its games, and I`m using my birthday money, and a $100 paycheck I`m getting from youtube on this, the build together costs around $1300-1400 and I feel kidna bad that I got the non-OC mobo :p  but I guess thats OK because me going from a i3 to an i7 should be fast enough either way. Also, I reccommend the 2500k or something, its really cheap atm
m
l
November 28, 2012 12:13:11 AM

Oh, by the way that HDD thats in there was just to fit my 560 budget for the parts, I have a 500GB Hybrid HDD drive instead of that, I`m not even getting that. It was just too fill in space :p 
m
l
!