[Solved] Computer is running very slow after installing a new case fan

nebrethar

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
So I am typing this on my ipad, because my computer updates maybe .1 fps.

I tried to install a new fan to cool down my computer a little more, because it had occasionally been overheating.

It's a very loud and power-consuming fan. It surprised me with how effective it is. As soon as I plugged everything back in, it started up and got to the login screen like normal. Then, as soon as I logged in, BAM.

It runs as slow as a snail.

I am running a homemade case with a radeon 4850, a cooler master 600w PSU, 6 gigs ram, an amd Athlon II CPU and a 750g Sata hd.

Even when I plugged out the fan, it still ran slow, even too slow to boot into safe mode in less than an hour.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Neb.

StrangeInstance

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Oh, I know what this is, see if you can install that HDD into a diff pc, I`m like 99% sure the HDD is corrupt, or whatever it is, I sent mine back into dell and I got a new one for free. Let me make sure yours is messed up like mine was, when you log in, your pc gets really slow then starts to freeze? like no white boxes, but the pc just won't respond in general, and if it does, like once every 10 seconds or so

nebrethar

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

I doubt it's the hdd. It's the same one I've had since 2007 and its never acted strange or failed me.

StrangeInstance

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
:p they act up at any time, it could have been, maybe the pin was left on the disc and you accidentally tapped it, or its time just came, or something just happened to happen, try running a naked build, only use the parts required to run, so like 1 stick of ram, one HDD, no extra fans, ect..

nebrethar

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Ran a naked build. It's narrowed down to the CPU, the hdd and the PSU. I just recently got the PSU, the hdd is old and the CPU is crappy. I'd be surprised if it were a hardware issue, though, because it happened on the boot precisely after I plugged in the fan. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if I did some damage.

StrangeInstance

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Wait, so now it works fine or? :p I remember my PC wouldn't start because I thought I had the ram pushed in all the way but it wasn't even half way (HOLY SH** YOU HAVE TO PUSH THOSE LITTLE BUGGERS DEEP IN!) and realized I had to boot with only 1 stick in, then realized I had the wrong side in (as in there are 2 holes to plug it in, 1 and 2 I accidentally plugged it into 2). Then after that it was easy riding.

nebrethar

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
I can't check a single thing now, about at my third boot my computer stopped loading after I pressed enter. I'm starting to think it may be software problems.

The only peculiar thing I can recall is that I can move my mouse but I get no response, or rarely. And when I press Ctrl alt delete it boots into some sort of altered win98

StrangeInstance

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
:p I would never keep a drive un formated for over 2-3 years, over time it gets stuffy (things you forgot you dont need lay on there, uninstalled programs leave their tracks, ect).. also a bad thing to do it load it up, it becomes harder to find the files because there is more searching to do.. but anyways best of luck, let me know how this goes

nebrethar

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
In the eerie depths of my computer's software I seem to have found some sort of corrupting virus.

Thank you for your help guys, and hats off to both of you for staying with it.

It's time to reset my hdd

nebrethar

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Hey, back from the dead. I got everything to work but my sound card. :)

Better than nothing.

Problem is, i am a huge audiophile

http://imgur.com/WYZMW (My studio)

I recently blew out my nice soundcard so I have a decent-quality one, a SB Audigy

And the computer recognizes it, says it is there, puts it in audio drivers, but no sound comes out at all. All connections checked and such.

Any other suggestions?