Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 8 hangs often

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 8
February 1, 2013 1:46:08 PM

I just built a new computer and installed Windows 8 on the SSD. Unfortunately, Windows 8 won't run for 5 minutes on average before it hangs, and I mean a hard hang - even the num lock on the keyboard goes out, forcing me to reset. I have installed the mobo drivers, the graphics card drivers, I updated the firmware on the SSD, and have updated Windows 8 as much as I can. Nothing has helped. I tried installing Windows on the HDD (thinking it was the SSD's fault), buit it wouldn't even finish installing before hanging. The memory I used passed memtest just fine. The CPU temperatures seem within normal limits. I'm not sure how to diagnose this problem from here. Any help is appreciated. Here is my build:

Intel Core i5-3470
ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card
Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply
Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Windows 8 64 bit OEM

More about : windows hangs

February 1, 2013 1:51:46 PM

Sounds like a dodgy Windows 8. If you successfully installed it on the SSD, and it froze, reinstalled it and then finally tried to install it on the HDD and none of those successfully worked, then it could be a dodgy copy.

Is the HDD brand new? could have some bad sectors if it is an old one. Did you also check compatibility of everything before you got it?
February 1, 2013 1:56:34 PM

Yeah, it's all new equipment. I had the "computer guy" here look it over before I bought it, and he said it looked good. The memory is explicitly supported by the mobo, as is the CPU.
Related resources
February 1, 2013 2:03:00 PM

Ok, where was Windows 8 obtained from?

Have you tried installing a different version of Windows? like XP or 7?
February 1, 2013 2:07:24 PM

It's Windows 8 OEM from Newegg. Unfortunately, I don't have any other Windows version to install. If that is the next logical step, I will purchase 7, but I was kind of hoping there is some other way to isolate what the problem is.
February 1, 2013 2:19:10 PM

Personally, that is what i would do, because then it would help me figure out what to do next.

When you say it hangs, is this just completely random, or do you do something to bring it on?
If you try turning it on, and leaving it, see what it does then?

Also, try booting into safe mode, see if it hangs then.
February 1, 2013 2:25:42 PM

Yes, pretty random, but certain activities - like trying to update Windows - brought about the freezes quite reliably. OK, I will look into buying 7, and try your other suggestions this evening. I appreciate your help!

Best solution

February 1, 2013 2:31:36 PM

Calm down there! I'm not finished yet, Windows 7 should be a last resort.

Have you installed any cracked software? Because that can mess up Windows.

Also, your PSU may be the problem. AMD recommends a 500w PSU for your graphics card, you only have a 430w. If you have a 500w one lying around, try that instead.
(After looking into your system, this could be the problem)
February 1, 2013 2:32:58 PM

Also, i never asked this, but you should have a 64bit version of Windows.
February 1, 2013 2:34:20 PM

Why would you spend money buying an older version of Windows ?

Try and do things that don't involve spending money imho.

You could try and install a different operating system for free, there's linux, even windows 7 you can install but it wont activate. That's not illegal.

But I think this is a hardware failure most probably...

You can for example try if your PC has more than 1 sticks of RAM to take each one out and see if problem persists. Or try and run memtest x86 to check your RAM...
February 1, 2013 2:38:54 PM

noble said:
Why would you spend money buying an older version of Windows ?

I don't want OP to spend money on another OS, that was just if he had one handy.

It is probably something to do with his PSU.
February 1, 2013 2:44:07 PM

Sorry, it is the 64bit version (updated my original post).

Crud, I didn't realize the wattage requirement was 500. I bet it's under powered. So perhaps I should try all this again without the 7850, using the CPU's Intel 2500 graphics instead.
February 1, 2013 2:50:43 PM

Just a note now that I saw that you did run memtest (sorry), passing the test doesn't mean RAM is fine. PSU is underpowered but not while in 2D mode I certainly doubt it. Maybe faulty though as well....
February 1, 2013 2:56:52 PM

noble said:
passing the test doesn't mean RAM is fine

Ah, okay, I will try it one stick at a time as well. I guess I have my weekend planned out - hehe. Thanks.
February 1, 2013 5:25:22 PM

Best answer selected by dan7734.
a b * Windows 8
February 2, 2013 3:58:08 AM

verify your OS core install
run cmd.exe as admin
sfc.exe /scannow

if your core files are corrupt they will repaired.
(i often see corruption from DVD images and USB thumb drives)

always a good start to check the files before dumping the OS.

no bugcheck would indicate power, or overclock issues, I suggest underclock memory and cpu and set voltages rather than auto selection until you figure out the problem.
April 11, 2013 4:17:46 AM

Mousa:
The best choice of this problem is disable this path
HDD Disk drives(HDD Device/Properties/Policies/Write-caching policy/Enable write caching on the device

m1975b@gmail.com
April 22, 2013 4:54:42 AM

Hi, have you tried another video card? I once had a computer continuously hanging and discovered I had a defective video card, after blaming the main memory which was error-free. Noel
!