Optimal running temperature?

robinsblade

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
my computer (CPU) according to Core Temp has a min of 9 C with my 2 new fans i installed.

a max of 24 C.

can this low of temp cause a computer to lagg? if so should i remove one of the fans? i got 2 intake 1 out.

before both fans my computer after like 2 mins ran at like 35-40 C.

or could it be a lack of PSU?

Spec:

CPU: fx4100 (3.6ghz)
graphics: AMD Radeon 6770
Ram : 8gb
1TB HDD

3 fans

600W PSU

Disc Drive

i am pointing to either temp or the PSU bc 1 its a new LOW for my computer in temp and adding the fans require more power which could be over it.

also i started to smell a burning motor smell it might of been the drill i was using (i was pushing its limits) but could a computer cause that

smell?

lt_dan_zsu

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Are your games running well? If so I wouldn't worry about it, a 600w is easily enough for your computer build. Also download a different temp monitor to be sure. But the idle temp doesn't make sense to me. The lowest it could ever make sense is 23C because that is about room temperature. If you have an air cooler, your cpu literally couldn't be that low.

Unless your case temperature is literally 10c below ambient temperature (you would have to be running a fridge or something next to it), there is no issue with a rig being too cool.

On start-up you can often get very low temps. Occasionally when I start up on a cold day, one of my cores can hit zero. A true idle temp would be 20mins of just looking at the desktop, after its been on for 5min or so.

robinsblade

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
well it seems if im doing absolutely doing nothing sitting at the desktop after start up the pc only goes to a max of 20C(the graphics on the other hand goes up to 30-40C)

atm ive been on the internet for a hour and it says CPU#0 is 13C at a max of 24 min 12

but the GPU is up at 35C which is average.

and i do notice some lagg occasionly with minimal CPU usage.

could this be related to....

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/378597-33-drivers-crashed
and
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/293129-32-hard-drive-failing

both happened to this pc and i have a feeling the hard drive could be failing.

but if your saying that a CPU should not be below 23C then why

is mine a min of 12? also what temp checker would u recommend?

btw ive been getting a sort of unresponsive mode occasionly.....

ill be just on my computer and it laggs for a moment then everything just stops

(this happens when the CPU is under 15C)

it only stops for a moment and its related to how the drivers crashed before.(1st link)

i would blame a virus but i dont think so because it started all the

laggin once i installed the 2 intake fans. (last monday)

also it seems my CPU temp is very vague on what it actualy is....

it will be 12C then randomly boost to 20's(it raised my max to 26 a second ago)

http://www.pcguide.com/care/care/gen/envAmbient-c.html
according to this link having a computer start realy cold can cause
the hardware to fail(is realy cold consider 12C or below?)

"
If you take a PC that is at freezing temperature and plug it in, it will warm up very quickly, much more quickly than it would if you left it on a table to warm up in its own time. In some cases, you can raise the temperature of equipment from 0 degrees to 150 in only a matter of minutes. As discussed here, thermal stress is a leading cause of premature failure of electronics components. This is bad enough when the components are raised from 70 degrees to 150; when they are raised from 0 to 150 it is much worse.
"

it seems i found this info from core temp themselves.....

Why is the temperature of my Phenom based processor lower than the ambient temperature?
Starting with the Phenoms, AMD's digital sensor no longer reports an absolute temperature value anymore, but a reading with a certain offset, which is unknown. It is estimated that this offset is between 10 - 20c.

i know mine is FX but could it be the sane issue?

if this is true then my actual temp is 32C which seem smore likely and should i take it like this?

and if thats true then that means my CPU use to run at 70C?