How do I get my speakers to play 96khz?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I bought these ada885 altec lansings for my audigy and they can only support the 48khz spdif mode!!!! is there any way to change that besides buy new speakers? i'd like to make them use 96khz like the card is capable of.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 11/29/01 01:09 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Why do you care? Your ears are only capable of ~48KHz...

I think 96KHz refers to the soundcard's sampling rate, but this is only available for one feature, and the card can't actually record 96KHz tracks, or play them back. Besides, finding a set of speakers capable of ~96KHz is gonna cost you $$$.

You can get a set of Sennheiser HEV90 headphones, which are electrostatic and amplified by vacuum tubes that will get you up to 100KHz, but those would run you about $12000.

Lyrics. Wasted time between solos.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Here's a link :smile:

<A HREF="http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm.nsf/(allinfo)/3074ger/$file/03074_pro2.jpg" target="_new">http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm.nsf/(allinfo)/3074ger/$file/03074_pro2.jpg</A>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Oh i didnt know that, about the ears only being capable of 48khz.. hehe.

creative has some capable speakers on their website.

I dont think even internally processing the sound at 96khz would help if the output i can hear is still only 48 :p

well damn im happy then cuz i love the ada885s, they sound fantastic! i didnt really want to get rid of them..

the sound doesnt play when i select 96khz but only under 44.1 and 48 (it switches instantly)..

thanks.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That's the sampling rate of the analogue -> digital converter. What I was talking about with speakers is different. I was talking about the highest frequency they can put out. There is a rather large difference.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
The sampling rate of 48.1 KHz does not refer to soundwaves, but how many times the analogue to digital converter "samples" the ananlogue signal. Human ears, at least trained ones, can easily hear the difference. Usually, this is reflected in the feeling of "space" in the sound. Sampling rate to sound is (simplified) what resolution is to video. Think of it as looking at scenery on a tv or a monitor compared to seeing the scenery in real life. The better the resolution the more "real" the picture seems. It's the same with sound. Kinney, your speakers Sony/Phillips Digital Interface (S/DIF) are only able to convert at a speed of 48.1KHz from an analogue source (i assume for Dolby Digital or THX). I am not sure whether these speakers only have digital connectors, but if they also can be used in analogue mode you are able to listen in any resolution. You can also get cheap (and good) 5.1 speakers that are analogue. While I really like the price/performance ratio of the old Creative Cambridge SoundWorks FPS 1000(4.1, 39 on www.pricewatch.com ), the newer 5.1 should also be good and less that 100 bucks. I hope this helps.

Dev

Why is =rand() not random when typed in MS Word?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Average human (perceptible) hearing is 20Hz to 20kHz. I'm a bit better than that on the high end, but I haven't tested myself to find out exactly.
Frequencies outside of the range aren't really heard, but they're felt, so it adds to the music even though you wouldn't be able to pinpoint why it sounds different.

Those headphones are cool :)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Depending on distance... Russian scientists ran an extensive test in the late 80's early 90's that prooved taht normal humans could "sense" sound up to 60KHz if the source was connected with, or pressed against, the scull. They also proved that we can detect pitch changes (though they have to be fairly substantial) up to 40KHz, which is also the top range for sources not directly connected to the body. Children have can sense really high pitches, but not low ones.

A final little interesting fact is that a <10 Hz sound may cause involuntary defecation!

Dev

FatBurger

Illustrious
A final little interesting fact is that a <10 Hz sound may cause involuntary defecation!

I've heard about that, but it'd be tough to find common speakers to reproduce sound that low.

As for higher frequencies, yes that's pretty much what I was talking about when I mentioned <20kHz.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone ever see that episode of southpark when the kids found that frequency? They called it "the brown noise" hehe. Changed a national recorder concert convention's music to play that note at the end of the song. The convention was televised live across the country... Heh, they made everyone in the country crap their pants at the same time. lol

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
I just talked to a former sound tech collegue and he stated that sounds <5Hz are deadly, but can't confirm it. BTW, wouldn't you just love to have that '59 sunburst? Or are you a modern gibson guy?

FatBurger

Illustrious
That's pretty funny, even though it's obviously impossible.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Whoa, now you're talking :smile:

A true mint '59 would be just AWESOME, but as those are impossible to find mint, my favourite right now would be a 2000 '59 reissue with a vintage sunburst quilt top from the Gibson Custom shop. I saw one of these and oh my GAWD what a piece of hardware.

I own a very nice Epiphone Les Paul with the Heritage Cherry sunburst finish. It's a flame top, but the flaming is kind of wavy, so it's sort of a flame-quilt. Very nice guitar, but I switched out the switch for a Gibson one, and replaced the pickups with Gibson 490R and 498T humbuckers (the same ones from the LP Custom).

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://www.members.aol.com/Sharid1959/quilt3.jpg" target="_new">Here's a '99 heritage cherry sunburst '59 reissue quilt top</A>
<A HREF="http://www.easystream.net/pics/59brazilian/591.jpg" target="_new">Murphy aged 2000 '59 reissue quilt top</A>
The vintage sunburst I saw had a top exactly like this, with the only exception being the colour of course.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
I have seen some of the reissues go for up to 17000 and Guitar Center is asking 19000 for one. I didn't even know that they had a 2000 reissue model, do you know how much they go for?
It's amazing how fast a Les Paul with a 59 in the name increases in value. A near mint '59 easily reach the 60k mark nowadays, and two years ago you could've found them for 35k. Thats almost 100% gain in two years! It's getting crazy.
BTW, I don't even have a les paul, but used to have a seventies Ibanez Les Paul that I sold for 150 to a friend.

*Dev Screams "DOH"!*

My current favorite is a sweet little sevenstring though.It's a cheap Kramer, but all the hardware is changed. The pickups are a custom wound by Marcella JB in the bridge and a custom Antiquity by the man hiself in the Neck. I waited for nine months and can not say what I paid for them, but it was not much.
Other than that: Ibanez Artist, Custom Yamaha Pacifica, Fender 57 strat reissue and a tele (not sure which model). Saving up for the Cybertwin as we speak...

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, I think the '59 sunburst is probably the most sought after guitar, with the '57 goldtop coming in close behind.

I've seen outrageous prices paid on ebay for some of these guitars, $30k or more.

I must say though, I've played some of the newer Gibsons in the store when I tested out some amps, and my Epiphone with Gibson pickups sounds VERY close to the real thing. I actually prefer the feel of my guitar too, but that's kind of subjective.

I mostly see 2000 reissues on ebay (I just like looking at the pretty pictures), and have heard that 2001s are coming out or are already out. From what I've seen the 2000s go for just over what the '99s do, as they are nearly identical, yet newer. But that's just with ebay, I don't have any retail figures for you.

What kind of amplification do you use? I have a little 15W Marshall amp which sounds good, and gets plenty loud for living where I do, but if I want to add a little more sound, I plug it into my Live! and then output it to my stereo amp and tower speakers.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
I have a Marshall 8080, and a JCM 800 top, but no cabinets back in Norway. Here in the US I only have a Fender Princeton DSP that I got dirt cheap (160) at guitar center because the input jack was loose! I sent it to Fender under the Warranty and got it back three weeks later :)
Usually though I just plug my Boss Gt-3 into one of my soundcards and play over headphones since I live in an apartment complex. I really look forward to when I get my work permit and make money again because I just love that Cybertwin, although it will take me a while to save up for it...

Buying a Gibson nowadays is, to me, really a sad deal. I've seen $3000 Les Paul Customs that ship without fret and fingerboard filing, major finish flaws and other bad stuff. I (and many with me) are more impressed with Epiphone who seems to be able to ship better set up guitars with almost as good Hardware for a fraction of the price. Wierd!
You might want to check out musicyo.com for really great deals on guitars and other stuff, they're also run by Gibson. Read the reviews on harmony-central.com and see the response these guitars have gotten. My next guitar will be a Kramer Nightrider from musicyo as soon as the model with a floyd rose is available again.

My dream right now though is a Gibson Flying V, I just love those, but it will be a long time before I can afford one...

Talking about guitars just gets me going. I am such a guitar nut, hehe..

Dev

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, I've heard some bad stories about some Gibson guitars coming out lately. When I brought my Epiphone Les Paul in to my music store to get the pickups switched, I and everyone in the store noticed that the finish on my $699 cdn guitar was way better than the $3325 Gibson Standard Plus on the wall. After the pickups were switched, mine sounded just as good, looked better, and cost less than a third the price. I was almost going to get an Ebony LP Standard by Epiphone, and apart from the headstock you literally could not tell it apart from the Gibson. Switch out the pickups, and only a handful of people would be able to tell the difference. Again, less than a third of the price.

I guess it's sorta like overclocking your guitar huh? :smile:

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
Just compared the reissue '58 Epi Korina Flying V and the Gibson Korina V. 400 for the epi, 1800 for the gibson.
Epi:
Filed frets and neck end. Good finish and intonated.
Gibson: No filing. Running my hand quickly down the neck actually gave me a scratch! Excellent finish, but not intonated.
Both came to the store last week one day apart. How do Gibson expect us to buy their stuff???

Dev

VulcanSoulPatch

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Getting back to the old thread . . . I heard once that 6Hz was the frequency at which human organs liquify. Yummy! I guess it may have been less, though. You've got me all stirred up to do some research.

Bet Hannibal would love something that could do that.

Can you say "puree"?

VSP

<i> Thoughts are thinking; Thunk from knowing
<b> nwod </b> gniog em peek reverof sthguohT </i>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1497757543" target="_new">Look quick, it's ebay.</A>

For those that missed it, an original '59 sunburst flametop going for $62 100.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I work for a music store company too right now, and some of the Gibson guitars that have been coming in have been kind of sub standard. We have a Les Paul Standard Plus, heritage cherry flame going for $3325 cdn, and my Epi Standard ($799 cdn) heritage cherry has a nicer top and neck. The nitrocellulose of the Gibson's gives a better shine than the polyurethane of the Epis, but the poly is more durable, so it's really a trade off there.

The only thing the Gibsons have over the Epiphones is the pickups. I switched mine out for authentic Gibsons for less than $300 cdn, so now I have a $1000 guitar that looks better and sounds just as good as a $3300 guitar. Everyone I've talked to has said that Gibson guitars have gone way up in price and down in quality over the past few months...