Solved

AMD CrossFire: Load on the PSU

Hey guys. I am looking at getting a new rig together and am brand new to the idea of SLI or CrossFire. I'm looking at the possibility of going for a quad crossfire setup using a set of Gigabyte Radeon 7770 OCs. The problem I am seeing here is the rated load on the PSU is massive - a whopping 400W each card. That means that with the CPU (AMD 8-Core 8150 @ 150W) I am sitting at 1850W power requirement already, without taking into consideration the watercooled aftermarket cooler and 1 x 140mm and 2 x 200mm fans in the new case.

Am I looking at this wrong, or is there some way around this that I am not seeing? I cannot see any PSU on the market over around 1500-1600W.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about crossfire load
  1. I think I have found the answer from google (took a while though lol).

Is this the minimum power supply to run each card? A benchtest I found on a website mentioned it uses 85-90W under full load, so an 850 watt PSU would run this fine in consideration with my other power requirements.

Is this correct?
  2. Best answer
    Lolwuuuuuuut. Each card does not take 400w. It's 400w for the fulll system. With a 550w you'd be more than able to run 7770 CF.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200&Tpk=rosewill%20rg630
    ^ good cheap psu with more than enough power.

BTW, you can't crossfire four 7770. There's not enough CF bridge connectors. Max is two. And after 2 the scaling of each card decreases dramatically. (+AMD CPU's are bad)
  3. Cheers, yea, I kind of freaked lol. I do know some cards can take up to 150 with an extra plugin from the PSU.

Can't use newegg, as I'm in australia lol. Been looking at a Corsair 650W Modular PSU though.
  4. I would wait a bit for the Piledriver CPU's to come out. And get a 550w+ PSU.
  5. Best answer selected by JamesLangley.
  6. Thinking I might just bite the bullet and go for a Intel 3770 instead.
  7. Good choice.
  8. Yea, I have myself a HD 7770, and I can confirm that it works under full load in a system with a PSU of 250W.

-Bloc97
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Crossfire Graphics Product