Difference of 1920x1200 DVI and ____x1080 HDMI?

John1988

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
My monitor is about 4-5 years old now, a Samsung 24" 1920x1200 DVI. I was wondering if it's worth it to buy a new monitor? Does having HDMI and ____x1080 resolution, give you better picture quality? Will a 2ms monitor have a lot less screen tearing than a 5ms? I feel like having a good GPU and outdated monitor, I'm missing out on picture quality?

Solution
1. 1200 vs 1080 doesn't really matter because the resolution difference is so minimal that it's nothing drastic.

2. DVI vs HDMI is pretty much exactly the same, the speed is the same, they both can transfer audio if you have DVI-I i believe....most graphics cards will have 2 DVI connections now a days and usually the first one is a DVI-I so long story short, its all the same. HDMI is just more universal, soon display port will decimate DVI with 4k x 2k resolution. which most likely will arrive by the end of next year for everyone.

3. 2ms vs 5ms, there is not much visual difference. Our eyes will only recognize 30-60 depending on how good is your vision. A 60fps in ms math is about 16ms. so 5ms is more than enough response which i...

mafisometal

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
1. 1200 vs 1080 doesn't really matter because the resolution difference is so minimal that it's nothing drastic.

2. DVI vs HDMI is pretty much exactly the same, the speed is the same, they both can transfer audio if you have DVI-I i believe....most graphics cards will have 2 DVI connections now a days and usually the first one is a DVI-I so long story short, its all the same. HDMI is just more universal, soon display port will decimate DVI with 4k x 2k resolution. which most likely will arrive by the end of next year for everyone.

3. 2ms vs 5ms, there is not much visual difference. Our eyes will only recognize 30-60 depending on how good is your vision. A 60fps in ms math is about 16ms. so 5ms is more than enough response which i believe is 100fps. In real time use you will never know the difference. Usually screen tearing is based on the syncronization of your video card to your monitor, most of the times if you have a well built video card and even with vsync off on most games it will maybe tear once every 100000 frames which is most likely nothing you'll ever notice.

Long story short, no need to replace monitor. Unless you're having a serious problem with the cathode's i wouldn't change it.

Solution

John1988

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012

tyvm, very informative. I will keep my monitor and save some money, was just wondering if I was missing out on anything.

I much prefer 1920 x 1200. Watching or gaming in a HD 1920 x 1080 window leaves me a 80 pixel high area of screen real estate which I can use to bug out to other applications w/o alt tabbing.

HDMI = DVI + Sound ... so it gives you crappy audio thru monitor speakers not additional quality.

Advertised ms numbers are meaningless for comparison purposes as advertising does not represent actual performance. Also measurement characteristics bare rarely stated ...... Is that black to white or gray to gray. Look at actual test results and you will find these numbers accurately stated by some manufacturers and grossly exaggerated by others.

2. DVI does not have sound, dvi-i is digital+anaglog, dvi-d is just digital. Even dual link vs single link just increases bandwidth but dvi doesn't support sound. Dvi, hdmi, and dp all support 4k.

3. You can see well over 60fps.

_kardon_

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
If you are doing any type of professional work coding/editing media the 1200 vertical is extremely helpful. For surfing the web, video games, and other ordinary tasks it isn't much of a difference.