GTX 560 Ti Black screen or freezing

oxymoro

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hello,

I recently purchased a Gainward GTX 560 TI with 1024 MB ram and am having some problems. When I dont install the drivers, I can start windows normally but When I install the the latest driver from the nvidia website (306.23) I see the windows startup logo but then the screen flickers and the monitor shows no active source (black screen). Sometimes it also shows a BSOD with nvlddmkm.sys (0x00000116).

So I tried a bunch of older drivers. It seems like when I install a driver (either beta or otherwise with 2XX.XX), windows starts normally. I monitored the temperatures, even ran the stress test provided by MSI Kombustor and it works fine. But after around 10-15 minutes windows freezes and stops responding and I have to restart. Anything with 3XX.XX driver version just gives me the black screen or BSOD.

I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. When i switch to the onboard VGA card, the system runs flawlessly without any problem. I have tried many solutions given online, such as removing power and pushing the power switch for 30 seconds. I have checked the BIOS and it is set to prefer the installed video card rather than the onboard. Any help would be highly appreciated. I have also tried changing the PCI power supplies ( i have 4 with my power supply) but that doesnt help too. My system settings are given below.

Processor:
Intel® Core™ i5-3450
(Boxed, FC-LGA4, "Ivy Bridge")

Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 B75
Chipsatz: Intel® B75 Express
Form factor: µATX
1x PCIe x16, onboard

RAM: G.Skill DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1866 Kit

Graphic Card: GAINWARD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB

Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 - ATX12V 2.31/ EPS12V 2.92 - 80 PLUS Bronze - 90-264 V - 650 Watt -

masht

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Hi,

I had big troubles too with an GTX 560 ti from ASUS. It took me a long time to get it run good on my system and still (but rarely) I have black screens right after starting into windows.

It helped me to fix the PCI frequency to 100 in BIOS. The drivers before 301.42 were worse than every other. I am ok with the newest driver, but the one that was sent with the graphic card (I think 285.65) also worked better than everything in between.

To see if its the same kind of issue: What happens if you reset your system after black screen? Because I had to switch my system completely off to get any picture (BIOS post screen) again.

rantingraj

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2012

Hey there I have the black screen problem as well and as for me once the system crashes after a black screen and I restart then I can play games, videos or benchmark the card for as long as I want...

I just have to be sure to not wait too much between each game I play or else the next time I launch a game the black screen (which is kind of like a refresh but longer or like when you change resolution but shorter) will happen again and 90% of the time it will crash my system!!

P.S Whats that about changing frequencies in BIOS