Crucial M4 to OCZ Vertex or 3570k to 3770k

rudstre

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I have about $80 left to spend on my rig and I was wondering if I would see a bigger performance upgrading my 256gb M4 ssd to a vertex 4 or upgrading my i5 3570k to an i7 3770k. I do a bunch of gaming and a fair amount of video editing on the side. Thanks!

EVGA 670 FTW Edition
16gb G.SKILL 1600mhz
ASRock Extreme4 Z77 MoBo
Corsair HX 750w PSU
CM Hyper 212+

The difference between an i5 and an i7 is whether its Hyperthreaded or not, overclocking an i5 wont cause it to suddenly have 4 more threads, nor will it match a core i7 for (multi-threaded) performance.
Also both chips have HD4000.

Both the Extreme4 and Extreme6 are the same features wise, only reason to get the Extreme6 is the free RAM which makes up that price difference.

fury420

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Neither upgrade seems like all that smart of a plan, as the difference between a 256GB M4 and a Vertex 4 is not all that large, you'd be very hard pressed to even notice a difference.

Be happy with your rig, very solid setup considering today's options.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

sure but if you overlock it you can easily meet the i7's performance in games, if he edits videos that a differnt story

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

i see what your saying, but if he gets the extreme 6 it will increase his oc ability, life span, bragging rights :p, and much more(also the samesung is a great ssd so he should get that and teh extreme 6 is on sale with a bonus ram so if he gets it right now he can drop his ram that he has right now and get that)