3 Monitors in Surround, 1 Independent

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Hello, I currently have 3 monitors set up in surround for my computer with a 4th sitting off to the side not doing anything. I am wondering if i can use this 4th screen by putting in an independent graphics card. I tried already hooking it up to the vga port from my motherboard but windows did not detect it.

CPU: Intel i7-2600k
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 12gb DDR3 Desktop Memory Kit (1600Mhz, 1.5v)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100
Video Card: 2x GTX560 Ti (SLI)
Power Supply: Corsair TX750
Hard Drive: Crucial M4 60GB
Hard Drive 2: OCZ Vertex3 60GB
Hard Drive 3: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Other Parts: D-Link DWA-552 XtremeN Network Card, Corsair Link
Monitor: 3x Gateway 21" Monitors (Surround), 1x Dell 23" Monitor (not in use)

Solution
Yes you can use a 4th monitor while still using surround. I do it (but I use a 7950 so can connect all 4 monitors to one card).

When you hooked the monitor to the motherboards onboard VGA, did you reboot, go into the bios and enable the onboard video? This should work, but if not than the option you listed of adding in a cheap video card will work as well.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Yes you can use a 4th monitor while still using surround. I do it (but I use a 7950 so can connect all 4 monitors to one card).

When you hooked the monitor to the motherboards onboard VGA, did you reboot, go into the bios and enable the onboard video? This should work, but if not than the option you listed of adding in a cheap video card will work as well.

Solution