Help with my rig. Noob here, need advice from the Pro's outhere

hedgehogpie

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hello guys,

I'm building a new rig my first time. I actually have an i3 2120 with a gpu of GeForce GT 220 . Now I've decided to build a rig for the first time (my dream as a gamer) (coz i got a work , thanks for this , I can finally build a gaming rig ) but I need your expert advice's.

These are the specs I have in mind:

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS V GENE or he's big brother MAXIMUS V formula (maybe the difference is the mobo size and the additional slots) or sabertooth z77? ( many have said that the thermal armor for sabertooth z77 is jsut for looks?). or the asrock extreme4/6 ? I don't really need an extra slots which I'm not gonna use.

CPU: i5 3570k/ FX 8320 (fx 8320 is slow than i5 3570k?)

GPU: Planning to select on this one (GTX 660ti/GTX 670, HD 7970/HD 7950)

Are AMD GPU are power hungry than the GTX GPU's? even for the latest drivers and the GHZ edition are factory overclocked and it is it ok with air cooling?

May have said that with the new drivers, AMD 7xxx series are much better than gtx 6xx series, but AMD cards are power hungry?

CASE: I always like Full tower case's. I'm choosing phantom 820 or the themaltake lvl 10 GT, or any you can recommend a full tower cases? just don't recommend more expensive that I have mentioned. I will always use air cooling and with radiator on it , maybe in the future water cooling (I have this noob thinking on water cooling , what if it's not properly installed, my hardware's well get wet and destroyed. I know water cooling is good.

FANS: any good fans a 120mm or 240mm?

PSU: maybe a 750w-800 PSU? anyone can recommend?

RAM: 2x4 gb RAM corsair or g.skill

MONITOR: maybe a samsung LED 1080p 22"-27" ( depends if i have a budget to spare) or any good LED 1080p monitors you can advice?

OS: I have this windows 7 ultimate SP1 but I'm planning using Windows 8 ( is windows 8 are still buggy right now? drivers are not working? I have heard windows 8 improves performance in you hardware components and boot time)

With that, if I can get the maximus v gene mobo , i know it's an mATX board and I'll be using a full tower case, maybe some of you thinking why would I use a full tower on a small motherboard. Maybe. I just want my motherboard to be happy? although small' he's got a bigger home, big home are nice right? Does maximus v gene overheat faster because of it's small size? or any advice on your experience if you own the mobo.

Maybe I'll plan doing a crossfire/SLI in the future with the current mobo i have in mind.

I'm not doing an overclocking, because overclocking reflects it to my bills. Maybe I'll get a factory overcloked GPU if it's ok to use just air cooling.

I'll be playing MMORPG's like GW2 and games like the upcoming sim city game/ the current sims' 3 . Bf3, call of duty black ops 2, resident evil 6 if it arrives in PC. etc.

I'll play it all at high/ultra settings. Are my specs currently in mind are good or more than good for the games I'll be
playing?

P.S
Or should I wait for the AMD 8xxx series GPU/gtx 7xx series gpu, is it near. Much faster I think?. I'll be buying that all parts on mid december or the last week of december (christmas gift to myself :)

EDITED:

Sorry, forgot to post my budget. My budget would be 2k-2.2k USD.

Waiting for your good responses. Thanks!!!

Solution

That motherboard will work. The motherboard is almost never a bottleneck. It's usually the CPU, GPU, or primary hard drive that is the bottleneck.

cutebeans

Distinguished
Hi, just get a 7770 or 7850 and you're solved.

The i3-2120 is still a good processor. Your GT 220 is what's holding you way back.

It's kind of a waste of money to get the i5-3570k when you still have an i3-2120.

That's my opinion but do upgrade your GPU to a 7850 and you will notice a huge differnce.

g-unit1111

Titan
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS V GENE or he's big brother MAXIMUS V formula (maybe the difference is the mobo size and the additional slots) or sabertooth z77? ( many have said that the thermal armor for sabertooth z77 is jsut for looks?). or the asrock extreme4/6 ? I don't really need an extra slots which I'm not gonna use.

Neither. The Formula is too expensive and the GENE will limit your expansion options. Go with the Asrock Extreme 6.

CASE: I always like Full tower case's. I'm choosing phantom 820 or the themaltake lvl 10 GT, or any you can recommend a full tower cases? just don't recommend more expensive that I have mentioned. I will always use air cooling and with radiator on it , maybe in the future water cooling (I have this noob thinking on water cooling , what if it's not properly installed, my hardware's well get wet and destroyed. I know water cooling is good.

The Level 10 sucks - it's an overrated plastic monstrosity. The Phantom 820 is a good choice, but I'd suggest something like the Switch 810: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146088

Alternately consider the Azza Hurrican 2000: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517010

CPU: i5 3570k/ FX 8320 (fx 8320 is slow than i5 3570k?)

No reason to consider the FX 8320 - it's decent but the i5 is definitely better.

FANS: any good fans a 120mm or 240mm?

Get the fans AFTER you get the build - you can only get as many fans as you have mounts for and the size does matter. It will list in the case manual what sizes the case accepts.

GPU: Planning to select on this one (GTX 660ti/GTX 670, HD 7970/HD 7950)

Go with the 670 or Radeon 7950/7970.

With that, if I can get the maximus v gene mobo , i know it's an mATX board and I'll be using a full tower case, maybe some of you thinking why would I use a full tower on a small motherboard. Maybe. I just want my motherboard to be happy? although small' he's got a bigger home, big home are nice right? Does maximus v gene overheat faster because of it's small size? or any advice on your experience if you own the mobo.

It's very pointless to get a motherboard that small for a case that big. It just doesn't make any sense.

hedgehogpie

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

If I can get an mATX board, like maximus v gene or asrock extreme , Well I was thinking, If I can put it in a full tower case there's a better air flow because of the size of the case? I have most needed from the mATX board or If i get an mATX board, should I stick with a mid tower case like this phantom 410?

I'm not really planning on overclocking maybe I will get a factory overclocked GPu like GHz edition if I get the AMD GPU and there's only a 10% change that I will do SLI or Crossfire.

P.S

I just contacted where I can get those parts, they told me that they rarely have astock on ASrock motherboards. :( . Any advice what to go for a motherboard that is good or better and not to expensive and many expansion slots that I don't usually need. Maybe an ASUS or GIGABYTE MOBO?

Also if i can get a full tower case like the switch 810 or the phantom 820, any mobo's you advice to get that's not to expensive, but it's worth the performance

g-unit1111

Titan
If I can get an mATX board, like maximus v gene or asrock extreme , Well I was thinking, If I can put it in a full tower case there's a better air flow because of the size of the case? I have most needed from the mATX board or If i get an mATX board, should I stick with a mid tower case like this phantom 410?

That won't help or hurt airflow one bit. I would heavily advise reading this before you setup your build: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-heatsink,3053.html

I'm not really planning on overclocking maybe I will get a factory overclocked GPu like GHz edition if I get the AMD GPU and there's only a 10% change that I will do SLI or Crossfire.

If you're not going to overclock then you could get the i5-3470 and an H77 motherboard and save money there.

I just contacted where I can get those parts, they told me that they rarely have astock on ASrock motherboards. :( . Any advice what to go for a motherboard that is good or better and not to expensive and many expansion slots that I don't usually need. Maybe an ASUS or GIGABYTE MOBO?

Whether or not you're for sure overclocking depends on what board you're going to be going with. I would need to know that first plus the site you're buying from before suggesting a board.

hedgehogpie

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012

g-unit1111

Titan

That motherboard will work. The motherboard is almost never a bottleneck. It's usually the CPU, GPU, or primary hard drive that is the bottleneck.

Solution