Sign in with
Your question

No POST, No Beeps, No Video NOTHING

Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2012 9:23:24 AM

Hello All,
I'm having a common problem, from how many different threads I've poked around in while trying to find a solution.

Ok here we go

Sony Vaio VGC-RB30:

Intel D915GRO/D915PRO/D915GVRO Mobo (standard)
4 x 512 Ram (generic)
Intel Pentium D 3.0 Ghz Processor (standard)
AMD Radeon HD 6450 Video Card
Windows XP Home Edition
(Very recently reformatted)

I was wanting to upgrade a slight bit by adding a dual core processor to the mix instead of the single core one, just to get a little more out of the old system. I had read up many different places to make sure its compatible so I did the best that I could. Its nearly impossible to find any decent material for my Mobo (which you can't even find on the Intel website as a discontinued brand..) So I went with the best info I could find (that my mobo could handle basically Pentium D's) and purchased a Pentium D 945 SL9QQ 3.4 Ghz Dual core processor and was going to hope for the best. Everything I had was working great. When the processor came in, I did everything that I needed to be done, that I could find info on. Therefore, I had updated the Bios, and I figured I could atleast get a boot menu, however, i was wrong. (of course) So after trying to boot up after changing over the processor I recieved nothing but a black screen. I figured, maybe something else was the problem, so I broke it all back down, reinstalled the standard processor to maybe find a solution from a possible hardware driver or something. No luck, so I started searching through forums and came upon the resetting of CMOS option, and removing the battery to wipe the data. Obvious mistake. On bootup, still no video, no beeps, but after i had done this option, my fans kicked into highspeed, and stay at a high rate the whole time the computer is on. I have already tried very many different variations to remedy my situation but no luck yet. I have tried 1 ram stick.. Nothing. I have tried the cmos reset a few more times... Nothing. I have drained all power from the mobo to, maybe, see some improvement, by it magically fixing itself haha but still yet no luck.. I currently have my computer breadboarded on my desk here and have only the CPU, heatsink, atx power strip/4 prong, and fan connected. I still get no display or error beeps, and haven't since the problem began. I've also went through the "checklist thread" and still, nothing. I know everything works because it worked before I started messing with the cpu. I know I have no bent pins, I know my ram works, and I know my power supply is good. Surely my motherboard didn't die on me over this? Any suggestions would be awesome here!!

Thanks a ton!
JP
(And yes, I do figure my Mobo cannot use the 945 dual core)

More about : post beeps video

November 27, 2012 10:45:54 AM

"...and have only the CPU, heatsink, atx power strip/4 prong, and fan connected. I still get no display or error beeps..." You've done everything right.

You know it's the CPU, MB or power supply or it would be beeping.

Not sure there was thermal protection on pentium D, if the heat sink was not on it would fry in a few seconds.

The fan running full speed is normal -- it's the chipset drivers that cut the fan speed back. You are not getting to the point where the chipset drivers are loaded.

Reseating the CPU. Blowing the dust out of the dimm slots and any PCI slots (and AGP?) might fix a short. Reseating the power connectors can't hurt.

When above fails to get you started, other than swapping CPU, PSU and MB one at the time not sure how you can debug further.

Aside: Anyone who could debug like this could swap in a new MB/Memory/CPU and have a new system. Personally I hunt refurbs on web sites like www.ubid.com, however ebay is also a good cheap source. At the real cheap end a system like this "HP Pavilion AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz 3GB 1TB" should sell for less than $100. http://www.ubid.com/HP_Pavilion_AMD_Athlon_64_X2_4400%2... At system like this more like $250. Gateway DX4860 Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz 6GB 1TB http://www.ubid.com/Gateway_DX4860_Intel_Core_i3-2120_3... (you never know with auctions though).
Related resources
November 27, 2012 11:19:48 AM

You cannot use a dual core CPU in that chipset.

915 boards are not capable of using dual core CPU's

November 27, 2012 2:11:38 PM

C12Friedman said:
I'm going to assume you've been through these pages here http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGCRB30...
Did you apply new thermal compound when replacing the heatsink? The fans ramping up is somewhat concerning

I hadn't been to the pages yet actually, but even after looking at them they are of no help, considering I can't even get anything on screen.. If I could get it to just recognize the video output alone I could get somewhere with it. Everything else is as it should be. Fans are indeed a bit concerning but I believe tsnor to be correct on that issue because it didn't do that until it didn't recognize any removable devices, and its not because of anything heating up too much, it just starts that way and doesn't stop lol.

Quote:
Reseating the CPU. Blowing the dust out of the dimm slots and any PCI slots (and AGP?) might fix a short. Reseating the power connectors can't hurt.

Can't tell you how many times I've done this. I was just hoping there would be a way to avoid buying new parts, because I REALLY don't want to buy any more haha

Quote:
You cannot use a dual core CPU in that chipset.

915 boards are not capable of using dual core CPU's

Thanks. Its kind of what I figured but, hard to tell when Intel doesn't even carry your mobo in their list to show you compatible processors. (Making me have to wing it and just hope for the best.. which didn't work obviously) lol
November 27, 2012 2:20:04 PM

Next time just check the chipset series on wikipedia. (what I did)
!