Upgrade, new build or wait?

Mostly gaming, programming and wife surfing internet... Budget is, I'm not filthy rich but I'm not begging for change either. I'm willing to spend 1.5 - 2k (on new build that will last 2-5 years with minor upgrades along the way) if it's not spending money just because it's within my budget. I would need to justify the price to performance gains. Thanks in advance.

Current system

Intel Core i7-920
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
2 x ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 CrossFire
6 x OCZ Gold 2GB DDR3 1600
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G
2 x Western Digital WD Black WD5001AALS Raid 0
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP
COOLER MASTER V8
9 answers Last reply
More about upgrade build wait
  1. Wait til it dies.
  2. I say build a new computer, convince your wife to play computer games with you and pass that computer down to her :) Always fun playing computer games with my wife anyway... Some experiences might vary lol.
  3. o1di: Why wait until it dies? My sister in law is still using my p4 that I built in 2002 (ish..) and that is still not dead...

derza10: The wife likes Mario, that's it. I have tried for years to get her to play games with me...
  4. start saving up for a new computer, oh and is this one working well for you? what games do you play or wish to play MAXED :P

but yeah that computer is just slowly dieing(kind of not literally) what you need to do is just get a new system and then use that until you cant stand the lag :P which will take like 5 years
  5. Case- HAF 922[99.99]
    Motherboard- Asrock z77 Extreme6[159.99]
    Cpu- I5-3570K[219.99]
    Ram- G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)[39.99]
    Psu- Corsair 750w modular [112]
    dvd drive- Lite-On LightScribe 24X[44.99]
    Graphics card(s)- Gtx 670 MSI power edition[389.99]
    HDD- 1Tb Caviar Black[87.99]
    SSD- Samsung Electronics Samsung 840[179.99]

Total
    1334.99(for just the guts the monitor,keyboard,mouse, and os are not included... we can also add another 670 if you want)
  6. Thanks for the build recommendation. That MB actually comes with that ram free (right now at least) I like the idea of blue-tooth being built into the mb but this one does not have that (not a big deal though). There was an asus one with bt built in that I was looking at recently for socket 2011 and about twice the price

Why i5 1155 over i7 2011? Also, I kind of expected a few "wait for Haswell". My current system isn't killing me with lag or anything. I just got "the itch"...

I should add that I like to rip and encode my movies. I might replace that dvd with a blue ray so I can finally have a way to stream them all over the house. Any recommendations for that?
  7. ok cool! here are a few parts that will work with you(oh by the way the i5 has a LGA 1155 so you have to get that mobo, or some otherone with 1155... 2011 socket cpus are like twice the price)
    Blueray player
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-12XReadable-DVD-Writable-SH-B123L-BSBP/dp/B003XIM3QK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354137692&sr=8-2&keywords=computer+blue+ray+drive
    this is extremely nice and will play/WRITE! bluerays so it should meet all your needs(i recommend also getting the other one just so you can play regular disks)
  8. PanicMaster85 said:
    ok cool! here are a few parts that will work with you(oh by the way the i5 has a LGA 1155 so you have to get that mobo, or some otherone with 1155... 2011 socket cpus are like twice the price)
    Blueray player
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-12XReadable-DVD-Writable-SH-B123L-BSBP/dp/B003XIM3QK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354137692&sr=8-2&keywords=computer+blue+ray+drive
    this is extremely nice and will play/WRITE! bluerays so it should meet all your needs(i recommend also getting the other one just so you can play regular disks)

Just thought i would point this out because you mentioned it... in the description of that blue-ray player it says "Reads Blu-Ray 12X but only writes regular DVDs"
  9. oh really :/ sorry i did not read that very well then, sorry about that
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt New Build Systems Product