Upgrade, new build or wait?

WastidLeprechaun

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Mostly gaming, programming and wife surfing internet... Budget is, I'm not filthy rich but I'm not begging for change either. I'm willing to spend 1.5 - 2k (on new build that will last 2-5 years with minor upgrades along the way) if it's not spending money just because it's within my budget. I would need to justify the price to performance gains. Thanks in advance.

Current system

Intel Core i7-920
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
2 x ASUS EAH4870 DK/HTDI/1GD5 CrossFire
6 x OCZ Gold 2GB DDR3 1600
OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G
2 x Western Digital WD Black WD5001AALS Raid 0
CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V
COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP
COOLER MASTER V8

WastidLeprechaun

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
o1di: Why wait until it dies? My sister in law is still using my p4 that I built in 2002 (ish..) and that is still not dead...

derza10: The wife likes Mario, that's it. I have tried for years to get her to play games with me...

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
start saving up for a new computer, oh and is this one working well for you? what games do you play or wish to play MAXED :p

but yeah that computer is just slowly dieing(kind of not literally) what you need to do is just get a new system and then use that until you cant stand the lag :p which will take like 5 years

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

WastidLeprechaun

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Thanks for the build recommendation. That MB actually comes with that ram free (right now at least) I like the idea of blue-tooth being built into the mb but this one does not have that (not a big deal though). There was an asus one with bt built in that I was looking at recently for socket 2011 and about twice the price

Why i5 1155 over i7 2011? Also, I kind of expected a few "wait for Haswell". My current system isn't killing me with lag or anything. I just got "the itch"...

I should add that I like to rip and encode my movies. I might replace that dvd with a blue ray so I can finally have a way to stream them all over the house. Any recommendations for that?

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
ok cool! here are a few parts that will work with you(oh by the way the i5 has a LGA 1155 so you have to get that mobo, or some otherone with 1155... 2011 socket cpus are like twice the price)
Blueray player
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-12XReadable-DVD-Writable-SH-B123L-BSBP/dp/B003XIM3QK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354137692&sr=8-2&keywords=computer+blue+ray+drive
this is extremely nice and will play/WRITE! bluerays so it should meet all your needs(i recommend also getting the other one just so you can play regular disks)

Just thought i would point this out because you mentioned it... in the description of that blue-ray player it says "Reads Blu-Ray 12X but only writes regular DVDs"