Vid card opinions?

Last response: in Video Games
June 25, 2005 4:30:00 AM

Was thinking of heading this direction, any thoughts, thanks
CP ATI RADN 9800PRO 128MB DDR
DVI, TV-OUT, AGP,
Tylor

More about : vid card opinions

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 4:49:56 AM

I'd suggest Radn 9550 if that is within your budget. I have one with 256mb
DDR. The key is to make sure that the video card you get is built for
DirectX 9.+

FWIW

"TylorB" <sol@rosenburg.ca> wrote in message
> Was thinking of heading this direction, any thoughts, thanks
> CP ATI RADN 9800PRO 128MB DDR
> DVI, TV-OUT, AGP,
> Tylor

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 9:39:22 PM

"PW" wrote:

> I'd suggest Radn 9550 if that is within your budget. I have one with
> 256mb DDR. The key is to make sure that the video card you get is
> built for DirectX 9.+

He's better off going for the 9800 Pro. 256MB doesn't mean much - a lot of
the budget cards are stacked with ram, because it's cheap at the moment and
sounds impressive. They still run slower than the better 128MB cards,
though.

higgy.
June 25, 2005 11:35:35 PM

> He's better off going for the 9800 Pro. 256MB doesn't mean much - a lot of
> the budget cards are stacked with ram, because it's cheap at the moment
> and
> sounds impressive. They still run slower than the better 128MB cards,
> though.
>

> higgy.

Thanks for the info guys

Ty
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:28:35 AM

Absolutely agree with you higgy.

I mis-read the post and thought Tylor was seeking a LOWER grade video card.
Glad you caught it!

"higgy" <higgyslacker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "PW" wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest Radn 9550 if that is within your budget. I have one with
>> 256mb DDR. The key is to make sure that the video card you get is
>> built for DirectX 9.+
>
> He's better off going for the 9800 Pro. 256MB doesn't mean much - a lot of
> the budget cards are stacked with ram, because it's cheap at the moment
> and
> sounds impressive. They still run slower than the better 128MB cards,
> though.
>

> higgy.
June 28, 2005 10:52:08 PM

"TylorB" <sol@rosenburg.ca> wrote in message
> Was thinking of heading this direction, any thoughts, thanks
> CP ATI RADN 9800PRO 128MB DDR
> DVI, TV-OUT, AGP,
> Tylor

6600GT is best value atm, handily beats a 9800Pro for similar money.

Tony
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:52:09 PM

"TonyC" wrote:

> "TylorB" <sol@rosenburg.ca> wrote in message
>> Was thinking of heading this direction, any thoughts, thanks
>> CP ATI RADN 9800PRO 128MB DDR
>> DVI, TV-OUT, AGP,
>> Tylor
>
> 6600GT is best value atm, handily beats a 9800Pro for similar money.

Depends what you mean by similar. In the UK, 9800 Pro's are going for £80-
£90. 6600GT's are in the region of £120-£140. Sure it's only £30ish more,
but then so is a better processor, mobo or more RAM etc. You have to have a
cut-off point somewhere and, personally, I've never paid more than £90 for
a graphics card and never intend to.

higgy.
June 28, 2005 11:55:27 PM

> "TonyC" wrote:
>
>> "TylorB" <sol@rosenburg.ca> wrote in message
>>> Was thinking of heading this direction, any thoughts, thanks
>>> CP ATI RADN 9800PRO 128MB DDR
>>> DVI, TV-OUT, AGP,
>>> Tylor
>>
>> 6600GT is best value atm, handily beats a 9800Pro for similar money.
>
> Depends what you mean by similar. In the UK, 9800 Pro's are going for £80-
> £90. 6600GT's are in the region of £120-£140. Sure it's only £30ish more,
> but then so is a better processor, mobo or more RAM etc. You have to have
> cut-off point somewhere and, personally, I've never paid more than £90 for
> a graphics card and never intend to.
>

> higgy.

Wasn't aware that 9800 Pro was so cheap now, not long ago they were priced
around £120 for a non-crippled 256bit version.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:28:58 AM

higgy <higgyslacker@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "PW" wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest Radn 9550 if that is within your budget. I have
>> one with 256mb DDR. The key is to make sure that the video
>> card you get is built for DirectX 9.+
>
> He's better off going for the 9800 Pro. 256MB doesn't mean much
> - a lot of the budget cards are stacked with ram, because it's
> cheap at the moment and sounds impressive. They still run slower
> than the better 128MB cards, though.

I fell for that one years ago. I bought a 32MB Savage4 thinking it
was going to be faster than my 8 MB Viper V330. Wrong.
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 6:33:09 AM

higgy <higgyslacker@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "TonyC" wrote:

>> 6600GT is best value atm, handily beats a 9800Pro for similar
>> money.
>
> Depends what you mean by similar. In the UK, 9800 Pro's are
> going for £80- £90. 6600GT's are in the region of £120-£140.
> Sure it's only £30ish more, but then so is a better processor,
> mobo or more RAM etc. You have to have a cut-off point somewhere

Decisions decisions.
August 9, 2005 6:41:25 PM

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 02:33:09 GMT, John Doe <jdoe@usenet.love.invalid>
wrote:

>higgy <higgyslacker@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "TonyC" wrote:

>>> 6600GT is best value atm, handily beats a 9800Pro for similar
>>> money.
>>
>> Depends what you mean by similar. In the UK, 9800 Pro's are
>> going for £80- £90. 6600GT's are in the region of £120-£140.
>> Sure it's only £30ish more, but then so is a better processor,
>> mobo or more RAM etc. You have to have a cut-off point somewhere
>
>Decisions decisions.

Indeed. I just replaced my FX5200. It died... it actually died after a
couple of days playing BF2. Overheated it.

So I went out and got a 9800 pro with 256mb. You may want to consider
a vid card cooler. This one forces the air out through the open slot
in back. No sense recycling hot air. I put one on mine and it works
like a charm. I was having temp issues throughout the case before I
added it, but not one temp alarm since.

The moral of this story... if you get a new card, crank up the
settings in BF2 to try it out, expect the temp in your case to rise
dramatically. If your PC (or game) crashes, check your case temp. Bet
ya can fry eggs on it.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 9:58:21 AM

I have a 9800 pro with 128MB. Can't recommend this card at least for
BF2. While I've never had any problems with any other application or
game in Linux or Windows 2K, BF2 suffers from much corruption even with
medium and low settings. Maybe it's cooling, maybe it's drivers, maybe
it's BF2. In any case, it makes BF2 very not fun to play when you're in
a good match and suddenly you can't see a thing.
!